Where can I find book's value?

Old March 28th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Where can I find book's value?

In anticipation of moving to a smaller house in a few years, I'm
breaking up my lifelong book collection of about 5,000 paperbacks and
hardcovers and listing them at Amazon. Thanks to addall, alibris, abebooks
and Amazon itself, I've been able to get a good handle on each book's value
and offer it at a fair price.

One book, however, has baffled me -- a pulpish juvenile football novel
called "Hitting the Line" by Ralph Henry Barbour (Appleton, 1917), which I
picked up as a kid 35 years ago or so. It's far from top quality -- it's
been well read by several generations, and one or more previous owners wrote
or scribbled on the endpages.

While it would seem like throwaway junk, there's one key difference:
"Hitting the Line" was illustrated by a very young Norman Rockwell, who
contributed four color plates. The plates are all in excellence condition.

My problem is none of the above mentioned websites lists any copies of
"Hitting the Line." One seller mentions that Rockwell illustrated four of
Barbour's books, but I find only two titles listed ("The Secret Play" and
"The Purple Pennant") at prices ranging from $50 to $550. Various Google
searches proved fruitless, too.

Any tips on other sites to check would be much appreciated. Thanks in
advance.

Old March 29th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Gene,

To find the information you want, you need to do a search on Google
Books for "hitting the line" and "rockwell."

You will see that the information was extracted from the Boys' and
Girls' Series books of one of RCB's old posters: Rosemary Jones.

Jerry Morris

*******
****

Moi's Books About Books: http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7