Thread - other hobbies

Old January 20th 04, 03:12 AM
Grandpa

Default Thread - other hobbies

A very interesting and enlightening thread. I for one was quite
surprised how many fellow genealogists there were who responded.

Old January 20th 04, 05:34 AM
Edwin Johnston

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
A very interesting and enlightening thread. I for one was quite
surprised how many fellow genealogists there were who responded.

Genealogy is perhaps America's most popular hobby.
I've got my ancestors traced back so far to around 1800 in Ohio, before it
even became a state. My S/O, who did the research (at a local public library
dedicated to genealogy), traced her own roots in America back to Rhode
Island, or something, in the 1600s. There's even a painting of one of her
ancestors slaking George Washington's thirst.
I became friends with a woman over the internet whose relatives had the same
last name as mine. I told her that the family name was of a fierce border
clan from Scotand. She told me they were nothing but a bunch of cattle
rustlers.

Old January 20th 04, 07:17 AM
Colin Kynoch

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 23:34:17 -0600, "Edwin Johnston"
wrote:

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
A very interesting and enlightening thread. I for one was quite
surprised how many fellow genealogists there were who responded.

Genealogy is perhaps America's most popular hobby.
I've got my ancestors traced back so far to around 1800 in Ohio, before it
even became a state. My S/O, who did the research (at a local public library
dedicated to genealogy), traced her own roots in America back to Rhode
Island, or something, in the 1600s. There's even a painting of one of her
ancestors slaking George Washington's thirst.
I became friends with a woman over the internet whose relatives had the same
last name as mine. I told her that the family name was of a fierce border
clan from Scotand. She told me they were nothing but a bunch of cattle
rustlers.

I have been fortunate to have traced two legs of my tree back to the
early 1500's. Uncommon surnames certainly help/

Colin Kynoch
Old January 20th 04, 11:27 AM
Scottishmoney

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
A very interesting and enlightening thread. I for one was quite
surprised how many fellow genealogists there were who responded.

I am also very interested in geneaology, I think it is something common to
many numismatist, because of the history thing. I like to think of my
ancestors handling some of the Revolutionary War paper money I have.

Dave

---

Old January 20th 04, 12:22 PM
F B

Edwin wrote:
snipI became friends with a woman over the internet whose relatives
had the same last name as mine. I told her that the family name was of a
fierce border clan from Scotand. She told me they were nothing but a
bunch of cattle rustlers.
I also spend most of my internet time on family history. I have my
Best Mate in OZ who had the same surname way- back- when, altho at the
present time we are NOT related, it doesn't seem to matter now. I have
also met 3 cousins I never knew I had. One is 78 yo and lives just a few
hours from me. She did most of my research on one side of the family,
back to 1762 when our direct ancestor was born in Chester Cty, Pa. Very
exciting.
With the help of My Mate, she has traced my other side back to 1700's
in England. I was also able to meet 2 first cousins from this side. One
lives in LA and the other in OZ, close to Adelaide. brothers
"still looking for the Prince" altho I'm sure cattle rustler would be
more accurate.
Doris

Old January 20th 04, 12:27 PM
Eric Babula

Colin Kynoch wrote in
:

I have been fortunate to have traced two legs of my tree back to
the early 1500's. Uncommon surnames certainly help/

Colin Kynoch

I have an uncommon name, too, relatively speaking. But, even so, it's
hard to find out information when your relatives won't offer any
assistance, even though you ask them multiple times. I even offered
money to pay for any information they could give (There. There's my tie
back to coins!).

Oh, my biggest problem is time! Work, kids, work, coin collecting,
work, website, work, household chores, work, reading NGs, work, work,
work.

I said it before - work keeps getting in the way of my fun! Gotta
figure out how to get rid of work! ;-)

--
Smile!!

Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Old January 20th 04, 01:14 PM
Colin Kynoch

On 20 Jan 2004 12:27:32 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:

Colin Kynoch wrote in
:

I have been fortunate to have traced two legs of my tree back to
the early 1500's. Uncommon surnames certainly help/

Colin Kynoch

I have an uncommon name, too, relatively speaking. But, even so, it's
hard to find out information when your relatives won't offer any
assistance, even though you ask them multiple times.

I have been fortunate in being able to trace quite easily back to
their immigration to Australia (pretty good records are available) and
then tracing in England and Scotland has been realitively easy as well
due to excellent records for the most part.

Colin Kynoch
Old January 20th 04, 02:12 PM
Bruce Remick

"Edwin Johnston" wrote in message
"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
A very interesting and enlightening thread. I for one was quite
surprised how many fellow genealogists there were who responded.

Genealogy is perhaps America's most popular hobby.
I've got my ancestors traced back so far to around 1800 in Ohio, before it
even became a state. My S/O, who did the research (at a local public

library
dedicated to genealogy), traced her own roots in America back to Rhode
Island, or something, in the 1600s. There's even a painting of one of her
ancestors slaking George Washington's thirst.

I should have known better. I'm a habitual collector of anything I have
more than three of, and I began my family genealogy quest over 30 years ago.
I was (lucky/unlucky) enough to have traced my direct ancestors back to the
Remick immigrant who came to Maine about 1650. Since then, I became hooked
into trying to "collect" all of his descendants (about 13 generations), with
all their mintmarks and varieties. My virtual album is a genealogy program.
I have no idea how many holes are left to be filled. I refuse to slab
anyone who turns out to be particularly famous or infamous. So now I have a
database of several thousand Remick's, plus a separate list of another
thousand unidentified Remick vital records that I cannot yet attribute to
the proper person. I also have been forced to collect data on all Remick's
in this country, not just those who descended from my ancestor. I simply
can't stop. Let this be a warning to any other collector who might be
considering a family genealogy project.

Bruce

Old January 20th 04, 03:25 PM
Edwin Johnston

wrote:

[...]

Here's a little story:
My mom's mother's maiden name was Harvestine, which is uncommon. We
researched the name and found a bunch of Harvestines living up in Iowa or
some godforsaken place (grandma was from Scranton, Pennsylvania). We tried
contacting some of those Harvestines to find out if I was related. No hits
from them at all.
Well, we finally got a hold of some US Census records and found out that
grandma's granddad's last name was originally Czavaunan, or some such
spelling, who had emigrated from Slovakia via Austria in the late 19th
century. His name was Anglicized upon entering the US.

Old January 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Mike Hairfield

I can trace mine back to the 1600's where they fell out of the boat in
Jamestown, Va and settled in
Spotsylvania County, VA.
We later moved all over the country but my branch fell in the Richmond area.

Mike