SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

Old June 29th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

Default oly's OT SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

"oly" wrote in message

snip oly rant

But liberal ****s have no guns.

You think I'm a liberal ****, don't you, oly?

"Come on-a my house, my hous-a come on..."

Make it in the wee hours and please be at least one step inside my dwelling.
I'll give you your choice of final exit strategy, anything from .22 (Ruger
rifle or revolver, or a really slick Beretta pistol) to .25 to .38 to 9mm to
..357 to a 12-gauge in 00 shot or a big fat slugger. (Sorry about the
limited choice. I no longer have the .40 and .45 and .223 AK-47 and .30-cal
M1 carbine and 7.62mm Mosin-Nagant or most of the numerous duplicates in the
other calibers, and I gave the .380 to my son the cop as a back-up piece -
but I do have a black powder musket if that's the way you want to go out.)
Target placement to be my choice. And it would be a nice touch if you first
willed me a few ounces of all that gold you have stashed away for when the
minorities take over and destroy America. I have some better uses for it.

Sorry, I can't make a house call for you because my concealed carry permit
isn't valid there. We liberals are pretty strict about that.

But before you do drop by to say hello and good-bye... Answer the four
questions about your moronic rant, you lying racist ****. You don't get to
duck out of your accountability just by taking a ride in the morguemobile:

1. "A left-wing, non-white, homosexual elite has taken over the
determination and dissemnination of the system of values (and much else)"?
Where the hell has that happened? As I sit here, Gov. Sanford of SC is
being dragged through the news for having an illicit affair. That sure
sounds like old-time, God-fearing, Christian morality at work. And a gay
spokesman is on NPR whining that Obama is not acting on their needs. That
hardly sounds like the "homosexual elite" having their way and imposing
their values on society. Sen. Larry Craig's reputation has not been
rehabilitated after he was caught trolling for gay partners in an airport
rest room. African-Americans still furtively speak of gay activity as being
on the down low. The stigma of "Don't ask, don't tell hasn't changed for
the military. Congress and other government positions still have closeted
gays afraid to admit their homosexuality. What the hell are you talking
about?

It's not enough simply to respond to a few of my examples here. Prove that
"A left-wing, non-white, homosexual elite has taken over the determination
and dissemnination of the system of values (and much else)".

2. "Also, the leftist, half-breed & queer elite cannot tolerate the fact
that historic coins are a generally store of value that is largely outside
of their control (outside of their ability to steal through currency
debasement)"?

What kind of paranoid fantasy conspiracy have you concocted here? Cite
credible examples that prove that "the leftist, half-breed queer elites"
cannot tolerate numismatics for that reason.

3. "Numismatics has to be portrayed as a preserve of regressive dead white
european bigoted males"?

Who issued that diktat? Who is portraying it thus? Where? When?

4. Numismatics "has to go to the scrap heap - that because the study of
coins occasionally makes people think for themselves"?

Hubris on top of paranoia is not a pretty sight. In the grand order of
activities that "make people think for themselves," numismatics ranks
somewhere between gardening and sorting socks. And even if handling a few
gold coins makes a few people a little more appreciative of precious metals,
who, pray tell, is trying to push numismatics onto the scrap heap?

That vast sucking sound you hear is the whoosh! of oly clearing out of the
room as fast as his pale white legs will carry him.

Attempt #5 to get oly to justify this rant
Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 3

Old June 29th 09, 12:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 28, 6:01*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Numismatics is rather more important than you rate it. Did you just
threaten to murder me?

oly
Old June 29th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bob F.[_5_]

"oly" wrote in message
On Jun 28, 6:01 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

Fear not Oly, a pussy like mazor may SAY he has access to weapons but
there's a 100% probability that he's lying and trying to make himself
sound like a tough guy.

Old June 29th 09, 01:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 28, 5:54*pm, Scratchmo wrote:
On Jun 28, 2:09*pm, "Thomas A." wrote:

Scratchmo wrote:
On Jun 28, 1:23 pm, "Thomas A." wrote:
Scratchmo wrote:
On Jun 13, 2:31 pm, oly wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:13 pm, MKW wrote:

Anything thats collected is a collectible. The sculpting and
engraving resembles the original, Ron Landis ran the Gallery Mint
Museum...they know a thing or two about reproductions. Not
everyone collects exclusively used old US coins. Or one can just
by the original for $100,000 yeah right.

I am sure the gold that was melted was common enough so that some
can be preserved. Its like the silver recovered from the World
Trade Center. There was a lot to go around.

On Jun 13, 2:47 am, oly wrote:

It's NOT a collectible. In fact, valuable gold artifacts were
destroyed to create this abomination.

oly- Hide quoted text -

It's funny, just yesterday I received an ebay package with several
medals from the French Mint. Indeed, not everybody collects U.S.
Coins.

But, this Central America POS that Monaco Financial wants to sell
is modern commercial ripoff. Gold bars from the Central America
were destroyed to create it. If somebody wanted a Gold rush era
artifact, these aren't (indeed, once the gold is melted, how can
you tell that the gold wasn't recently minted, as opposed to
coming from the wreck?). But an "S" mint $20 Liberty from that era
isn't impossible to afford, and would be a much better choice to
use one's money for.

The old hippies from the "Gallery Mint" are (and in some instances,
were) most dubious characters. Misguided talent. This Central
America knockoff is just one more example. They were lucky somebody
apparently had some money in a trust fund.

oly

Ron Landis here, and I resent that remark. I have spent my entire
life learning early die making techniques and early minting
technologies. I am the recipient of two ANA presidential awards,
the Exemplary Service Award, the Glenn Smedley Award, and the
Numismatic Award for Excellence in Medallic Sculpture, to name a
few. I also have enough Certificates of Appreciation from the ANA I
could wallpaper my house with them.

The goal of the Gallery Mint Museum was to build a museum dedicated
to illustrating the evolution of coin making technologies from
Ancient Greece through the Industrial Revolution. Our
trial-and-error learning process gave us the the experience and
credibility to actually pull it off. Unfortunately, my partner, Joe
Rust, committed suicide four years ago and it left me quite
depressed to the point I could not continue the project on my own,
and have had to lay my tools down until the fine folks at Monaco
gave me the honor and opportunity to create this piece, which I am
very grateful for on many levels. No, we didn't have a trust fund.
We worked 10-14 hours per day, seven days a week to build something
unique. Something of great educational value.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done
better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives
valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because
there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the
great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a
worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of
high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he
fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with
those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt

I know very little about the Gallery Mint Museum and am very
interested to
hear that it was an organization that made such a concientious
effort to
help us understand the evolution of coin making through a
reconstructive
effort. You sound like an educated person capable of expressing
himself
clearly - why don't you make an entry in Wikipedia
(http://www.wikipedia.org/) for th GMM so that this information and
the great accomplishments of your company are not lost to time? I
think it
would be a very nice way to honor Joe Rust as well. Wikipedia is not
perfect
but it's a great, free, public effort not to be dismissed lightly.
Then
write back to RCC when you have completed it and we will all learn
something
new and interesting.

Good idea Thomas. I am actually working on a book as well, though I
admit there's been little progress on it lately. There is very little
information on the subject out there currently. I won't waste any more
of my time responding to Oly's BS. His last post summed him up pretty
well. If he can't figure out who I am by the first five letters of my
email address, he's... well.... he's just not right.

I hope that you consider my suggestion seriously, Ron, as well as continuing
to work on your book. *Lots of people speculate about the lost minting
methods, but I tend to lend more credibility to someone who has actually
tried to reconstruct these methods. *I can empathize with the grief that
accompanies the loss of a friend in such a way and I feel that this is a
great way to make people aware of his positive achievements as well. *I know
this is none of my business, but I wanted you to know that not everyone
dismisses people's dedicated work so lightly. I am a coin collector and do
not collect privately issued medals or commemoratives, but I can respect
that different field of interest for its own merits.

Thanks again Thomas. I joined Wikipedia, and will prepare an article
soon. I just hope it doesn't get interpreted as the promotion of a
commercial endeavor and get deleted. I don't think that will be the
case as GMM is now history and even though the corporation still
exists on paper, there has been no revenue generated through it for
over three years now. I'm now just a free-lance engraver, but the
story of GMM is worth sharing, and I'd rather do it myself so folks
can hear it through the horse's mouth so-to-speak.

I would just like to make another point about the Humbert Octagonal
piece which applies to ALL the Central America Gold pieces we've been
involved in such as the Kellogg $50, the Baldwin $10, and the
uncompleted one presently on my workbench.

The original coins of the California Gold Rush were created out of a
need for coinage. There was a lot of gold around, but very few coins.
Private assayers took it upon themselves to create coinage from the
dust and nuggets gathered by the prospectors to fill that void. *Many
of these coins were made to resemble U.S. coinage of the period.

It's really the same thing today. Monaco had lots of gold bars. *Those
bars where originally intended to be melted down and made into U.S.
coinage after they completed the voyage. *The bars that Monaco offered
for sale had a limited audience because they were extremely
expensive. *IMHO, they did something very creative with the challenge
faced them. They didn't totally destroy the bars. *They had the top
1/4" that contained all the assayer's marks, value, fineness, ect. cut
off the bars so interesting part of the numismatic value was
preserved, and were able to produce these fine re-strikes and
commemoratives so that more people could acquire a portion of the
treasure.

Just like their original counterparts, these pieces fill a need... in
this case, the need of numismatists who have a desire of acquiring a
piece of the treasure. *They are the real deal. The gold in them is
100% solid gold directly from the California Gold Rush. They are very
limited and should not be put in the same category as all the plated
"heirloom" pieces we are bombarded with on tacky TV ads like the Trade
Center medals, etc.

As time passes, they will no longer be considered contemporary
creations, but will stand alone for the historic importance unique to
them. I doubt you'll see any of them hit the melting pots any time
soon.- Hide quoted text -

You say that the Gallery Mint was a research project. Perhaps it is
o.k. and even "scientific" to try to recreate how things were done in
the 17th or 18th Century (and we really must remember before you
recreate, we do have contemporary source materials, like Diderot's
Encyclopedia, that contain lots of information and illustrations of
the minting process) - but to what end?

If your intention of simply researching and recreating and then
photographing, evaluating and documenting the likely processes used to
make coins had been followed, well great. When you actually go to
selling reproductions, you are going a big jump from pure research to
applied commerce.

And at that point, one has to ask "To what end(s) will the replicas be
used???" Those answers really can't be very satisfactory because if
the early U.S. coin replicas are well-done, then the likelihood that
they will be used (sooner or later) to deceive somebody is high.

IMHO, your whole argument about "research project" is more plausible
if you had impounded or destroyed the results. But of course, you
didn't; you sold them. It is interesting that you acknowledge some
qualms about selling them. Your gut instinct was better than your
final judgement.

And now you state that are proud of what was done to the original Gold
Rush bars. I believe that I have seen that claim in print before, but
it is still incomprehensible. It was an act of commercial barbarism.
If Lord Elgin had followed the same logic, he would have abrasively
ground-off one whole side of each of the pieces of Parthenon statuary
to make the marbles lighter and the stones easier to get to England.
Thank goodness.

Also, against your thoughts, I would suggest that the higher the price
of gold goes, the more likely that your $50 replica products will
indeed hit the melting pot. If the price of bullion allows them to
get out, the party who had you produce them will likely be the first
to consider melting their remainder. It will be a purely commercial
decision. It will be like what happened to so many beautiful Franklin
Mint products. If precious metals prices bubble up, art will be
promptly sacrificed to high bullion prices. That was what happened in
1979 and 1980 and it will happen again.

Finally, sorry, it's always a nice quote, but President Theodore
Roosevelt wouldn't have been your type. Don't kid yourself on that.
He was a progressive for his day and age, but nevertheless a strict
patrician. For instance, his early sojourn in the Dakotas was marked
by his usually strict observance of Victorian social conventions. Had
you been one of his children, one suspects that you would have been
most unhappy.

oly
Old June 29th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 28, 6:45*pm, "Bob F." wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jun 28, 6:01 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

sound like a tough guy.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not afraid, just amused and proud. We normally don't get that
much under people's skins!!! Also, liberal ****s usually DON'T own
any guns.

RF, your counterpoint in another thread to Frankie about changing his
story from "vindictive individuals" to "competitors" working to get
him suspended from ebay was a good catch. I saw it too, just didn't
comment at the time. Since there are probably two or three million
people who sell coins at least occasionally, Frankie now has a much
wider audience to worry about.

oly

Old June 29th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message
On Jun 28, 6:01 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

[...]

It's nowhere near as important as you do.

Did you just threaten to murder me?

Another of your wishful paranoid fantasies.

The only thing I killed was your moronic mis-impression of me.
Besides, self-defense isn't murder.

Now answer the four questions.

Attempt #6 to get oly to justify his rant
Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 4

Old June 29th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Bob F." wrote in message

Fear not Oly, a pussy like mazor may SAY he has access to weapons
but there's a 100% probability that he's lying and trying to make
himself sound like a tough guy.

You're welcome to try a midnight home invasion too, Finnan. Better
make provision for your Hardy Boys collection, though, lest your
estate administrator throw it out with the rest of your trash.

For someone who allegedly killfiled me, you're still pretty damned
interested in what I say.

Old June 29th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 28, 8:00*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"oly" wrote in message

On Jun 28, 6:01 pm, "mazorj" wrote:

"oly" wrote in message

[...]

So, if you didn't just threaten to murder me (and some people might
think that you did) then why do you have all those guns??? Are you
worried about diversities at night??? During the day, you dance the
liberal diversity-loving hornpipe. Do you lay awake at night??? It
really is dangerous out there, you know.

Are you certain that you're not getting your count mixed-up??? I
thought it was higher. Have you had your blood pressure checked???

I'm really worried you're losing it, Dave.

oly

Old June 29th 09, 02:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message

I'm not afraid, just amused and proud. We normally don't get that
much under people's skins!!!

You don't normally let your hateful bigotry show so obviously in your
postings.

Also, liberal ****s usually DON'T own any guns.

Ah, you're backing away from one of your prejudicial claims. Good
boy. That's one small step toward admitting that you have a problem.

RF, your counterpoint in another thread to Frankie about changing
his
story from "vindictive individuals" to "competitors" working to get
him suspended from ebay was a good catch. I saw it too, just didn't
comment at the time.

I caught your back-pedaling on gun ownership. Now answer the four
questions.

Attempt #7 to get oly to justify his rant
Times that oly has responded by overtly dodging the question: 5

Old June 29th 09, 02:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"oly" wrote in message

I was unaware that Joe Rust killed himself, but can't imagine how
anybody can find anything noble or redeeming in that. Suicide is
weak.

If you're trying to rehabilitate your reputation for callous disregard
of the plight of others, this ain't gonna hack it, oly.

Oh, that's right... you don't care about being a callous bigoted jerk,
let alone perceived as one. Sorry.