FA Last Day English Hammered

Old August 17th 03, 12:34 PM
Scottishmoney

Default FA Last Day English Hammered

http://tinyurl.com/gvd1

Thanks for looking, bids are still low, so bargains are possible.

Dave

Old August 17th 03, 09:22 PM
Ian

These coins went far too cheaply!! I just saw your post five minutes
ago. I wish I had seen it a bit sooner :-(

Ian

Old August 18th 03, 12:46 AM
Darren

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:27:12 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

I think I will continue selling them off outside of eBay, has been far
better. I think I only came near to breaking even on the shilling, the rest
should be tax right offs.

Dave

Glad to be of service

Old August 18th 03, 01:30 AM
Ian

You are one lucky cookie to pick that one up so cheaply. Its worth at
least double the final bid...and some again.

You jammie Geordie ! :-)

Ian

Old August 18th 03, 08:35 AM
Darren

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:30:09 +0100, Ian
wrote:

You are one lucky cookie to pick that one up so cheaply. Its worth at
least double the final bid...and some again.

You jammie Geordie ! :-)

I did bid on one of the others without success...

Of course it gets better - I'll be able to unload some of this
Scottish money I picked up on my last trip.

I figure the news about the different exchange rate isn't widely known
yet.
Old August 18th 03, 08:55 AM
Ian

wrote:

You are one lucky cookie to pick that one up so cheaply. Its worth at
least double the final bid...and some again.

You jammie Geordie ! :-)

I did bid on one of the others without success...

Of course it gets better - I'll be able to unload some of this
Scottish money I picked up on my last trip.

I figure the news about the different exchange rate isn't widely known
yet.

Strange as it seems i've always been able to get more for Sots £'s
overseas than for English ones....That is, excepting in Egypt where the
Scots ones were viewed as being no better than soap coupons. They might
as well have had a portrait of Donald Duck on them, their banks just
wouldn't look at them. Fortunately, I had the foresight to take most of
my cash spend in English.

Ian

Old August 18th 03, 09:14 AM
Darren

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:55:48 +0100, Ian
wrote:

Strange as it seems i've always been able to get more for Sots £'s
overseas than for English ones....That is, excepting in Egypt where the
Scots ones were viewed as being no better than soap coupons. They might
as well have had a portrait of Donald Duck on them, their banks just
wouldn't look at them. Fortunately, I had the foresight to take most of
my cash spend in English.

Well I'll be off to Egypt in November... so if you've got any soup
coupons you want me to try out?

They still raise a few eyebrows where I live - you don't get problems
spending them but they do get looked at in a "what the hell is THIS"
way.

Darren

Old August 18th 03, 09:58 AM
Ian

wrote:

Strange as it seems i've always been able to get more for Sots £'s
overseas than for English ones....That is, excepting in Egypt where the
Scots ones were viewed as being no better than soap coupons. They might
as well have had a portrait of Donald Duck on them, their banks just
wouldn't look at them. Fortunately, I had the foresight to take most of
my cash spend in English.

Well I'll be off to Egypt in November... so if you've got any soup
coupons you want me to try out?

No soup coupons or such. Where in Egypt are you heading for? I might be
able to pass on a few tips.

They still raise a few eyebrows where I live - you don't get problems
spending them but they do get looked at in a "what the hell is THIS"
way.

I can understand that full well, especially since they aren't strictly
speaking `legal tender' in your part of the country. Mind you the single
£ note usually goes down quite well. There seems to be a general
`nostalgia' among people who used to use the £1 note in every day life
when they see a Scottish one.

Hardest time I had was actually in London I went into a branch of The
Royal Bank of Scotland (can't remember which one now but it was in
Holborn I think) and asked them to change my cash (actually in Royal
Bank of Scotland notes). The bank teller told me she couldn't do that
and that I would have to go to the foreign exchange section. I couldn't
believe what I was hearing, but what do you do? Create a god almighty
fuss and have everyone in the bank look at you as if your Ritilin had
not had sufficient time to kick in...or recognise that you are going to
get absolutely nowhere by arguing and do as suggested.

I did as suggested. It just involved me in more queuing than I would
have liked to experience from my own bank. Crazy, but thankfully they
didn't go as far as charging me a commission for accepting their own notes.

Ian

Darren

Old August 18th 03, 11:01 AM
Scottishmoney

"Ian" wrote in message
[...]

American Express advertises that their travellers cheques can be cashed just
about anywhere, well I found somewhere that wouldn't - the American Express
office in Amsterdam, Netherlands. For some reason they would not cash them
unless they were in dollars, so I ended up cashing them at a Dutch Bank a
block away.

Must have been difficult to part with Scots notes and get only HRH in
return.

Dave

Old August 18th 03, 03:17 PM
Ian

Patrick Maloney wrote:

Oy Ian!

Strange as it seems i've always been able to get more for Sots £'s

^^^^^^

What's this? An accidental slip into honesty??? LOL!

;-) Patrick

.....savour the moment my friend... :-)

Ian