Largest Private Refinery Discovers Gold-Plated Tungsten Bar

Old March 3rd 10, 02:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Default Largest Private Refinery Discovers Gold-Plated Tungsten Bar

Over the years, there have been a few isolated reports of smaller coins
and bars found to have been drilled to remove some of the gold which was
replaced ...

http://tinyurl.com/yc7wlxk

JAM
Old March 3rd 10, 09:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Frank Galikanokus" wrote in message

Over the years, there have been a few isolated reports of smaller coins
and bars found to have been drilled to remove some of the gold which was
replaced ...

http://tinyurl.com/yc7wlxk

JAM

Well, that'll give ya a nice warm fuzzy!

Fake gold bars making it "into the system" of bonded traders' inventory? It
was bad enough when fake coins started popping up at the retail level for
collectors and small investors. But 500 gram bars trading among banks and
PM houses means that counterfeiting is penetrating the Big Leagues big time.
This could pose a serious threat to the institutions that find themselves
holding them and individuals who hold unallocated shares of gold there. It
also could affect currency values if gold markets get really nervous.

The good news is that this one was caught. Eventually. And it is possible
to detect them using expensive equipment. But this is like saying that we
have a flu shot for the latest virulent strain sweeping the world. Some
will be protected, some will suffer because they couldn't afford the shot or
the flu just got to them first.

(I'd like to know what there was about this fake that tipped off whichever
handler discovered it. Is it like the experienced bank tellers of yore who
could "sense" a counterfeit bill because it looked or felt slightly unusual
when it went through their hands?)

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory here about covert attempts to
undermine national or even world economies, so I'll just say that the James
Bond theme is stuck in my brain and the title "Tungstenfinger" keeps rolling
around in my imagination.

- mazorj the Screenwriter

Old March 3rd 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 3, 4:10*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

The video says (in German) the a very experience worker became
suspicious, but could not explain why. He then selected a bar to test.
Old March 3rd 10, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"Peter" wrote in message
On Mar 3, 4:10 pm, "mazorj" wrote:
[...]

Ein bar, or Die bar? The former suggests there was more than one suspicious
bar. The story suggests there was only one.

Old March 4th 10, 03:58 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , Peter wrote:

?
[...]

suspicious, but could not explain why. =A0He then selected a bar to tes=

t.

Ein bar, or Die bar? =A0The former suggests there was more than one suspi=

cious
bar. =A0The story suggests there was only one.- Hide quoted text -

Sorry, I'm not sure.

can you please tell me the way to the bar?
oops, old jazz musician's story.

Gold plated. note.boy Coins 0 March 6th 07 11:44 AM
Gold-plated, etc. Tuppence Coins 12 June 27th 06 05:22 PM
Question on gold-plated coin gogu Coins 2 June 13th 05 04:24 PM
Largest Private Signed Book Collection? William M. Klimon Books 2 December 9th 04 11:33 AM
Dubai gold refinery to produce coins JSTONE9352 Coins 4 September 7th 04 12:01 AM