Stamp of East India (1856) with "overprint"

Old November 19th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
mpstamps

Default Stamp of East India (1856) with "overprint"

Hi,

I have this stamp from East India, 1856 issue. It has an "overprint",
which I cannot identify. Is it from a company or some kind of
precancel?

Thanks for your help

Manuel

http://cjoint.com/data/ltrZ65OHU0.htm
Old November 19th 09, 05:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 19, 11:54*am, mpstamps wrote:
Hi,

I have this stamp from East India, 1856 issue. It has an "overprint",
which I cannot identify. Is it from a company or some kind of
precancel?

Thanks for your help

Manuel

http://cjoint.com/data/ltrZ65OHU0.htm

It looks like a company stamp to prevent theft by employees.
(similar to use of Perfins)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfin

Blair
Old November 19th 09, 05:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
mpstamps

On Nov 19, 6:05*pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Nov 19, 11:54*am, mpstamps wrote:

Hi,

I have this stamp from East India, 1856 issue. It has an "overprint",
which I cannot identify. Is it from a company or some kind of
precancel?

Thanks for your help

Manuel

http://cjoint.com/data/ltrZ65OHU0.htm

It looks like a company stamp to prevent theft by employees.
(similar to use of Perfins)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfin

Blair

Thanks for info. That was also one of my thoughts, but I did not knew
that this kind of Perfins was already used in the 1860s.

Best regards

Manuel
Old November 19th 09, 05:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Nov 19, 12:08*pm, mpstamps wrote:
On Nov 19, 6:05*pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

On Nov 19, 11:54*am, mpstamps wrote:

Hi,

I have this stamp from East India, 1856 issue. It has an "overprint",
which I cannot identify. Is it from a company or some kind of
precancel?

Thanks for your help

Manuel

http://cjoint.com/data/ltrZ65OHU0.htm

It looks like a company stamp to prevent theft by employees.
(similar to use of Perfins)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfin

Blair

Thanks for info. That was also one of my thoughts, but I did not knew
that this kind of Perfins was already used in the 1860s.

Best regards

Manuel

Actually regular perfins began use in 1868.

Blair