Roll Call? (& time to de-lurk)

Old February 18th 09, 09:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

Default Roll Call? (& time to de-lurk)

"j.f." wrote in message
In article ,
"bowcan" wrote:

"bowcan" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

snip for brevity
3.) Anyone here able to answer questions about pen restoration &
repair.

thanks & enjoy your morning

--Bruce

snip

For vintage Waterman work, parts, nibs, etc. I would recommend Joel
Hamilton of Ink-Pen Vintage Writing Instruments
http://www.ink-pen.com/ I've known Joel personally for many many years
and I would (and have) trust him with anything pen related. Unlike some,
Joel (and his sister Sherrell who is the Kansas City branch of Ink-Pen,
specializing in Sheaffer) doesn't hesitate to say if a particular repair
is not one he is comfortable with.

Both Joel and Sherrell do excellent work, are priced very fairly, strive
for realistic turnaround times, and have an almost encyclopedic
knowledge of vintage pens.

Disclaimer: Joel and Sherrell are dear friends of mine and unfortunately
they don't pay me anything to recommend people to them :-)

Thanks!

Just e-mailed him, so keeping fingers crossed. Body of pen in excellent
shape-- just needs a cap!

--Bruce

Old February 18th 09, 09:41 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
bowcan

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"bowcan" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

Been following acpp for a while & thought this group was pretty much dead
until I noticed some recent activity.

Three things then.

1.) I'm hoping "Roll Call" (replies to this topic) might answer how many
people are still here if I have questions. (Mr. Ketterling has a point
about 'lost' threads on popular html boards.)

snip stuff I can't answer

I'm still lurking here.
(Did I really post that out loud?)

I have tried reading places like FPN, but the microscopic font there is
useless. Come on, wise up folks, respond to the font size setting, or do
without older users.

Not really ranting - glad to see this fine newsgroup still has a pulse.

--
Alan

Yeah, FPN is great, but your's truely can't find the topics sometimes.

"End user error!"

Like the 'tree' format on use-net & good ol' plain text. Glad to see this
place isn't as 'dead' as it had looked.

--Bruce

Old February 18th 09, 11:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"bowcan" wrote in message

"Jimmy" wrote in message
"bowcan" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

Been following acpp for a while & thought this group was pretty much
dead until I noticed some recent activity.

snip
I'm still lurking here.
(Did I really post that out loud?)

I have tried reading places like FPN, but the microscopic font there
is useless...

snip
Yeah, FPN is great, but your's truely can't find the topics sometimes.

"End user error!"

Like the 'tree' format on use-net & good ol' plain text. Glad to see
this place isn't as 'dead' as it had looked.

It's never been dead, but it gets a bit quiet sometimes.

Well, I just found out that Firefox will display FPN with a readable
font. You can learn stuff here.

I too like the minimalist plain text, and the tree format of usenet.

--
Alan

Old February 19th 09, 01:54 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Sparafucile" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 14:57:55 -0600, Dave Garrett wrote:

What browser are you using? I tried to change the text size in IE
using
the View-Text Size menu selection, but it had no effect.

Using Firefox, however, the View-Zoom commands work just fine to
enlarge or decrease the text size.

That's because MS makes it difficult to enable; I prefer Firefox
anyway, especially since it has all of those great extensions to kill
ads and popups like Adblocker and NoScript....

In IE, go to: Tools - internet options - the "General" tab - at the
bottom, Appearance - click the Accessibility button - check "ignore
font sizes specified on webpages"- then "OK" your way out. Whew, those
guys at MS really want you to work at this!

Now your Text Size command will work.

--
1 Ciao,

Serge

´I love cats because I take pleasure in my home; and little by
little, the cats become its visible soul.¡
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

Wow! Who would ever have guessed? You are right, and thanks. Why it
wouldn't be a default remains a mystery. It seems there's a lesson to be
learned he drill down through all the menus, no matter how obscure
they look.

--
Alan

Old February 19th 09, 02:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message
[...]

It's because they don't intend for the user to be in control.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.

Old February 19th 09, 03:12 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"bowcan" wrote in message

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"bowcan" wrote in message
Hello Everyone,

Been following acpp for a while & thought this group was pretty much
dead until I noticed some recent activity.

Not dead, just taking long naps.

Welcome to the group .

Thanks,

Had all but given up on use-net because of mal-ware, but many of the
server names looked 'legit' & no luck contacting several recognized
repairmen & parts suppliers.

(That's not a snipe at anyone *here*-- just a sad commentary on slow
demise of Use-Net itself over the years.)

If someone *does* know of parts source, or repairman to help with pen--
will include slightly scrambled e-mail addy.

"bb03912ATgmailDOTcom"

For valid address-- "the even number goes before 'nothing'..."

--Bruce

PS: will try to leave that address open until "slammed with spam.

Thanks again for welcome & reply!

You're very welcome. It seems most people like forums. I haven't joined
because I don't like having to log on and Usenet hasn't given me any
motivation to leave.

FWIW, I keep an addy solely for Usenet, which I munge. That way, the noise
stays manageable. By munging my addy as you've done, the crap stays down to
only a couple a week and never pollutes my regular account. I've been able
to use the same addy for about 7 years, IIRC. AFAIK, gmail has pretty good
spam filtering so, hopefully, you'll be fine for a long while.

Old February 19th 09, 03:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"bowcan" wrote in message

"Bluesea" wrote in message

"titanic cruise? I think not; much safer on a ruby yacht"
wrote in message
Well, I'm not here.
Hey, where is John Klein deuce?

Haven't seen him for a long time.

I'm fairly new to 'vintage' collecting pens, so pardon if following might
sound a silly question.

Who is John Klein? Can he help with pen?

Not if he isn't here, he can't. Other than that, he's a long-time regular.
You may google old posts in this group to see some of his contributions.

Old February 19th 09, 03:18 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"Jimmy" wrote in message

I'm still lurking here.
(Did I really post that out loud?)

Don't worry. It doesn't count unless we read it out loud.

In a forest.

Unless someone else is there to hear us.

Roll Call Alan Williams Coins 2 August 4th 05 11:18 PM
eBay Seller isn't sending me a total -- time to call? Bob Flaminio Coins 10 July 20th 05 02:14 PM
RCC Summer Swap Roll Call! Dale Hallmark Coins 16 July 5th 04 12:26 PM
// Lurk Mode Off - I'm History... Edwardseco General Discussion 1 April 3rd 04 10:57 PM
PUPPET ROLL CALL rhodo chrosite Coins 0 July 3rd 03 06:04 PM