"so help us God" left out of FDR WWII memorial

Old November 9th 05, 11:53 PM
' 77 Honda

Default "so help us God" left out of FDR WWII memorial

SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
AND ADD THE MISSING WORDS ?

Today I went to visit the new World War II Memorial in Washington, DC.
I got an unexpected history lesson. Because I'm a baby boomer, I was
one of the youngest in the crowd. Most were the age of my parents,
veterans of "the greatest war," with their families. It was a beautiful
day, and people were smiling and happy to be there. Hundreds of us
milled around the memorial, reading the inspiring words of Eisenhower
and Truman that are engraved there. On the Pacific side of the
memorial, a group of us gathered to read the words
President Roosevelt used to announce the attack on Pearl Harbor,
"Yesterday, December 7, 1941-- a date which will live in infamy--the
United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked."

One elderly woman read the words aloud, "With confidence in our armed
forces, with the unbounding determination of our people, we will gain
the inevitable triumph."

But as she read, she was suddenly turned angry."Wait a minute," she
said, "they left out the end of the quote. They left out the most
important part. Roosevelt ended the message with "so help us God.'"

Her husband said, "You are probably right. We're not supposed to say
things like that now."

"I know I'm right," she insisted. "I remember the speech."

The two looked dismayed, shook their heads sadly and walked away.

Listening to their conversation, I thought to myself,
"Well, it has been over 50 years. She's probably forgotten."

But she had not forgotten. She was right. I went home and pulled out
the book my book club is reading --- "Flags of Our Fathers" by James
Bradley. It's all about the battle at
Iwo Jima. I haven't gotten too far in the book. It's tough to read
because it's a graphic description of the WWII battles in the Pacific.
But right there it was on page 58.

Roosevelt's speech to the nation ends in "so help us God." The people
who edited out that part of the speech when they engraved it on the
memorial could have fooled me. I was born after the war. But they
couldn't fool the people who were there. Roosevelt's words are engraved
on their hearts.

Now I ask, "WHO GAVE THEM THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE WORDS OF
HISTORY?????????"

Send this around to your friends. People need to know before everyone
forgets.

People today are trying to change the history of America by leaving God
out of it, but the truth is, God has been a part of this nation, since
the beginning.

He still wants to be...and He always will be!!!!!!

If you agree, pass this on.

If not, MAY GOD BLESS YOU.

Old November 10th 05, 12:05 AM
Some People Never Learn.

Default "so help us God" left out of FDR WWII memorial, NOT!

' 77 Honda wrote:
SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
AND ADD THE MISSING WORDS ?

No, because that's an urban legend.

Only week minded people believe and post such stupid bull**** without
checking the facts first.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/memorial.asp

Old November 10th 05, 12:18 AM
' 77 Honda

your snopes site seems to be the urban legend...

Old November 10th 05, 12:20 AM
' 77 Honda

semantics- bottom line, it was omitted

Old November 10th 05, 04:48 AM
DeserTBoB

On 9 Nov 2005 15:05:11 -0800, "Some People Never Learn."
wrote:

' 77 Honda wrote:
SHALL WE HIRE A MONUMENT ENGRAVER TO GO TO ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY
AND ADD THE MISSING WORDS ?

No, because that's an urban legend.

Only week minded people believe and post such stupid bull**** without
checking the facts first.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/memorial.asp snip

People like Charlie Nudo always believe that ****, which is usually
put out on the web by some retard in the South from his trailer,
because they're too stupid to know how to research the truth. Another
bunch of lies was the supposed quotes by Andy Rooney and George
Carlin. Rooney said on CBS a couple of weeks ago that if they ever
find the person who started that phony quote, he and CBS will sue
them.

I hope they do.

dB
Old November 10th 05, 02:28 PM
rotted 77 Honda

Even Roosevelt would not drive a 77 Honda- and he was a Democrat !

CPK Dolls & Misc. Items--- F S Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 28th 03 05:49 PM
CPK D O L L S FS Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:30 AM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 19th 03 04:12 AM
CPK Items For Sale!!! Disregard Below - Sorry Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 08:48 PM
CPK Items For Sale Sue from NY Dolls 0 August 8th 03 02:11 AM