Merry Newtonmas

Old December 24th 03, 11:32 AM
Michael E. Marotta

Default Merry Newtonmas

MERRY NEWTONMAS! by Michael E. Marotta
(c) 2001 originally posted to RCC 12/25/2000

Sir Isaac Newton was born on Christmas Day in 1642. He may have
been the greatest scientist in human history. His image appears
on coins and bank notes, which is appropriate since he was Master
of the Mint.

Alone, any of Newton's achievements would have made his mark in
history. Together, they encompass not just what we know about
the physical world, but how we know it.

Newton is best remembered for his Law of Gravity. He also showed
that white light is composed of colors. He built the first
reflecting telescope. He demonstrated three fundamental laws of
motion. He also invented the calculus. Among his lesser
victories, he demonstrated vector arithmetic, he delivered an
algorithm for conveniently computing square roots, and he
proved the Binomial Theorem.

It can be difficult to grasp the magnitude of Newton's work. His
Principia Mathematica is the basis for all physical science and
engineering. Without this understanding, we would have none of
the machinery we take for granted. Civil, mechanical, and
electrical engineering, statistical mechanics, thermodynamics,
even quantum mechanics and relativity, derive directly his work.
For these reasons and more, the English poet, Alexander Pope
wrote this epigram:
"Nature and Nature's laws lay hid in night:
God said, let Newton be! and all was light."

Numismatists know a series of tokens from Middlesex, England,
struck in 1793, that celebrate Sir Isaac Newton. From 1978 to
1985, the one pound notes of the Bank of England featured Newton
on the back, holding a copy of his monumental book, Principia
Mathematica, turned to the page that demonstrates the elliptical
movement of the planets. The front of the note includes the
elements from the token of 1793: the caduceus, an olive branch,
and a cornucopia.

Michael
ANA R-162953
Peace on Earth; Goodwill to All
Old December 24th 03, 11:37 AM
Larry Louks

Michael E. Marotta wrote:
Sir Isaac Newton was born on Christmas Day in 1642. He may have
been the greatest scientist in human history. His image appears
on coins and bank notes, which is appropriate since he was Master
of the Mint.

Thank you for posting this material, Michael. I learned some things about
Mr. Newton that I was not aware of. The "gravity thing" is about all that I
knew about him until a few minutes ago!

Happy Holidays!

Larry

Old December 24th 03, 01:12 PM
A.Gent

Its 9 minutes past midnight on the 25th, so (top posting and all) may I
endorse the general jolly seasonal greetings to all in RCC (yes - ALL) and
the best for the new year.

And to Michael: every greeting has an equal (and in this case, not opposite)
re-greeting.

Happy Newtonmas.
Jeff

(first with a genuine Christmas greeting? Any Kiwis beat me?)

;-)

om...

Old December 24th 03, 01:55 PM
John Carney

"A.Gent" wrote in message
u...
Its 9 minutes past midnight on the 25th,

Jeff, quick....tell me what the lottery numbers were in Pennsylvania Wednesday night. I'll
split it with you.

Merry Christmas

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old December 24th 03, 03:54 PM
Lyntoy1

Michael-
Recently, a friend told me that Newton was one of the very few brilliant
thinkers that was recognized in his own time, having "Sir" bestowed upon him by
the queen. He told me Newton kept the discovery of calculus secret until his
death, thus allowing him to solve seemingly impossible problems and gaining
himself fame and wealth (and probably chicks- an early Beatle). Do you know if
that is true? If it is, I admire him even more since he was not merely gifted,
but also a wise guy ;-)
Mike
No Newton Here
Old December 24th 03, 08:48 PM
Michael E. Marotta

Newton estimated that 20% of the coins taken in were counterfeit.
Counterfeiting was treason, punishable by death by drawing and
quartering. As gruesome as the penalties were, the courts were not
arbitrary or capricious. The rights of free men had a long tradition
in England and the crown had to prove its case to a jury. The law also
allowed for plea bargaining. Convictions of the most flagrant
criminals could be maddeningly impossible to achieve. Newton was equal
to the task.

He assembled facts and proved his theories with the same brilliance in
law that he had shown in science. He gathered much of that evidence
himself. Disguised, he hung out at bars and taverns. For all the
barriers placed to prosecution, and separating the branches of
government, English law still had strong, old customs of authority.
Newton got himself made a justice of the
peace. Between June 1698 and Christmas 1699, he conducted some 200
cross-examinations of witnesses, informers and suspects. He obtained
the confessions he needed. While he could not resort to open torture,
whatever means he did use must have been fearsome because Newton
himself later ordered all records of these interrogations to be
destroyed. However he did it, Newton won his convictions. In February
1699, he had ten prisoners waiting to
be executed.

Newton's greatest triumph as the king's attorney was against William
Chaloner. Chaloner was a rogue with a devious intelligence. He set up
phony conspiracies of Catholics and then turned in the hapless
conspirators whom he entrapped. Chaloner made himself rich enough to
posture as a gentleman. Petitioning parliament, Chaloner accused the
Mint of providing tools to counterfeiters. (This charge was made also
by others.) He proposed that he be allowed to inspect the Mint's
processes in order to improve them. He petitioned Parliament to adopt
his plans for a coinage that could not be counterfeited. All the time,
he struck false coins, or so Newton eventually proved to a court of
competent jurisdiction. On March 23, 1699, Chaloner was hanged, drawn,
and quartered.

-------------------
Michael
Old December 24th 03, 09:04 PM
Michael E. Marotta

(Lyntoy1) wrote
Recently, a friend told me that Newton was one of the very few brilliant
thinkers that was recognized in his own time, ...
Newton kept the discovery of calculus secret until his death...
Do you know if that is true?

Not exactly, true. It is true that he was recognized in this own him.
He was knighted. In part his appointment to be Warden of the Mint was
supposed to be a cush job, a reward for what he did to that point. He
turned it into another career. Biographers -- Berlinski, for
instance, Gleick also -- stop writing when Newton goes to the Mint.
They find that less interesting, but it was THIRTY YEARS of his life.

Newton did _not_ keep the Principia secret until his death. Neither
was he interested in publishing it. He had it worked out for many
years before Edmund Halley (the Comet was named for him) promised to
pay for the publication after using all the arguments he could on
Newton.

The reason that he did not publish is that Newton was pestered by a
lesser light named Robert Hooke. Hooke did have some achievements to
his name (Hookes Law is a basis of structural engineering.) But Hooke
was no Newton. Several times in public, when Newton spoke of a new
idea, Hooke regaled him, debated him, even scored humiliating points
against him in these encounters, seeing errors in Newton's
presentation. Newton did not put up with it. He kept what he knew to
himself for many years.

Newton, of course, was a Protestant. (His actual religious views are
a matter of debate.) The Principia was published in 1687. What I
find interesting is that it was published in LATIN, a hundred years
after Shakespeare, two generations after the King James Bible.

Michael
Old December 24th 03, 09:09 PM
Michael E. Marotta

"A.Gent" wrote:
every greeting has an equal (and in this case, not opposite)
re-greeting.

In 1720, Newton commended one Mr. Orlebar for the creation of a
bimetallic token for the Royal Navy, intended to replace the paper
chits that were widely forged. In 1722, King George I granted a patent
to William Wood to produce copper coins. We know them as the Rosa
Americana and Hibernia issues. Newton defined some of the terms of the
contract, assuring safeguards to the crown. He also served as
comptroller of Wood's mint in Bristol though he appointed a deputy to
carry out the work for him. Newton also filed several reports on the
wide values of silver coinage in the American colonies.

I do not know of any direct connections between Newton and Oz.

Nevertheless, I will think of you as I crack a tube and throw some
sheilas on the barbie.

Michael
"Sundowner"
Old December 24th 03, 10:33 PM
Alan & Erin Williams

"Michael E. Marotta" wrote:

[...]

Awesome stuff, Michael! Any chance that Newton knew the correct useage
of 'glom'?
;-)

Alan
'imprismed for light'