Australia has bushfires-but no ashes.

Old August 27th 09, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Australia has bushfires-but no ashes.

Alas, ladies and gentlemen, it is true,
the Poms whupped us at our game.

The gum chewing, nail biting Australian captain who has now lost two,
wants to try a third time, (off with his head! I say)

I was pondering this whilst sorting another crate of India,
securing nice cancellations is a real challenge in this regard.
when, blow me down, perseverance paid off, and there it was...
this absolutely delightful hammer impression...just a tiny 19mm across, it made my heart jump.

http://cjoint.com/data/iBb6IbxvbH.htm

Isn't it beautiful?

Well this little jem has a history,
Tellicherry, (Just north of the stunning Travancore) in Kerala state
once was home to the Duke of Wellington.

To keep the noisy Pommy soldiers in some semblance of order, the good Duke
introduced the rabble to a game with bat and ball....Cricket.
This game took hold, and some many, many years later,
a tea planter in Tellicherry had a son.... and no ordinary son.
The Tea Planter was so cricket mad, he named his son after his favourite English Club
"The Marylebone Cricket Club", ..yes he named his son with the Initials MCC

In 1974, I saw MCC walk out on the Perth cricket pitch, and face the fire and terror of Lillee and Thompson

IIRC he was around 42, and a bit over the hill, a bit podgy, but we welcomed him warmly.

The Tea Planter in Tellicherry was a fellow named Cowdrey, and his son, he named Colin.
(Michael) Colin Cowdrey was inducted posthumously into the cricket hall of fame in 2009