What's with the thing with the other newsgroup?

Old December 8th 05, 02:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default What's with the thing with the other newsgroup?

Why do certain people keep crossposting to AMOE. I read the group for a day
or two and didn't find anything but a bunch of whiny people who hated their
customers and posted every few minutes -- lots of spare time. Why would
anyone want to crosspost to a group that has no purpose or interest? (Except
to stir up turmoil. Negative advertising is better than no advertising at
all.)

Anita

Old December 8th 05, 05:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:51:43 GMT, wrote:

Why do certain people keep crossposting to AMOE. I read the group for a day
or two and didn't find anything but a bunch of whiny people who hated their
customers and posted every few minutes -- lots of spare time. Why would
anyone want to crosspost to a group that has no purpose or interest? (Except
to stir up turmoil. Negative advertising is better than no advertising at
all.)

Anita,

Your penultimate sentence answers your question. Really though, it's
the uberlosers in AMOE who are cross-posting here, rather than the
other way around.

SOP for me is to just kill every thread that gets cross-posted from
there.

take care,
Scott

Old December 8th 05, 09:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Scott Stevenson" astutely observed:
Your penultimate sentence answers your question.

Hats off to you for using a seldom-used word! That's one of my favorites.

SOP for me is to just kill every thread that gets cross-posted from
there.

10-4 on that. I've nuked a bunch of them lately, but it appears that some of
the folks over there are bent on keeping it up.

Larry
'weary of such antics'

Old December 8th 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:51:43 GMT, wrote:
Why do certain people keep crossposting to AMOE. I read the group for a day
or two and didn't find anything but a bunch of whiny people who hated their
customers and posted every few minutes -- lots of spare time. Why would
anyone want to crosspost to a group that has no purpose or interest?

They're crossposting trolls.

(Except
to stir up turmoil. Negative advertising is better than no advertising at
all.)

They just want to **** people off to get them to react. Most people
grow out of that by, what, age 5 or so?
Old December 8th 05, 04:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 09:53:35 GMT, Larry Louks wrote:
"Scott Stevenson" astutely observed:
Your penultimate sentence answers your question.

Hats off to you for using a seldom-used word! That's one of my favorites.

SOP for me is to just kill every thread that gets cross-posted from
there.

10-4 on that. I've nuked a bunch of them lately, but it appears that some of
the folks over there are bent on keeping it up.

Depending on your newsreader software, you may be able to set up a
filter which will take out any posts crossposted from that group. If
your newsreader supports "regular expression matching" or "regexp"
filtering, this should work:
Newsgroups: *alt.marketing.online.ebay*
....as a killfile entry.

I automatically ignore any message crossposted to 3 or more groups,
across the board. Since anything crossposted to 3 groups will go
off-topic badly (if it doesn't start there), I don't think I miss
anything important.

Dave Hinz

Old December 8th 05, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 8 Dec 2005 16:36:20 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 02:51:43 GMT, wrote:
Why do certain people keep crossposting to AMOE. I read the group for a day
or two and didn't find anything but a bunch of whiny people who hated their
customers and posted every few minutes -- lots of spare time. Why would
anyone want to crosspost to a group that has no purpose or interest?

They're crossposting trolls.

What is troll?

(Except
to stir up turmoil. Negative advertising is better than no advertising at
all.)

They just want to **** people off to get them to react. Most people
grow out of that by, what, age 5 or so?

When do they grow out of dancing for the trolls?

GIT - R - DONE
Old December 8th 05, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:23:51 GMT, Stujoe wrote:
Dave Hinz spoke thusly...

I automatically ignore any message crossposted to 3 or more groups,
across the board. Since anything crossposted to 3 groups will go
off-topic badly (if it doesn't start there), I don't think I miss
anything important.

I have a rule set up for all crossposted messages. They never get seen
any more.

Well, it's inversely proportional to the number of groups, innit? 2,
maybe useful. 3, might start on-topic but won't stay there. 5? Crap
from the start.
Newsgroups: *,*,*
is a wonderful filter.

Old December 9th 05, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:23:51 GMT, Stujoe wrote:
Dave Hinz spoke thusly...

I automatically ignore any message crossposted to 3 or more groups,
across the board. Since anything crossposted to 3 groups will go
off-topic badly (if it doesn't start there), I don't think I miss
anything important.

I have a rule set up for all crossposted messages. They never get seen
any more.

Well, it's inversely proportional to the number of groups, innit? 2,
maybe useful. 3, might start on-topic but won't stay there. 5? Crap
from the start.
Newsgroups: *,*,*
is a wonderful filter.

How does one do this in OE?

Old December 9th 05, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Brian Blackwell" wrote in message
How does one do this in OE?

I don't think you can, but you can block senders and set up message rules
that delete threads that have certain words. Then every few months, you can
delete the growing mountain of a list of blocked senders.

I used Agent for a while and enjoyed being able to filter messages. Free
Agent no longer has this function, but the paid version of Agent does. It is
a pretty handy reader.

Anita

Old December 9th 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 22:51:17 GMT, Stujoe wrote:
Dave Hinz spoke thusly...

Well, it's inversely proportional to the number of groups, innit? 2,
maybe useful. 3, might start on-topic but won't stay there. 5? Crap
from the start.
Newsgroups: *,*,*
is a wonderful filter.

I rarely saw any crossposted messages here that are worth a hoot whether
it was to one group or two or three.

Well, I'd miss Frank's posts, if I dropped any crossposts at all.
It's just a matter of tweaking the filter - the concept is solid. It's
all about signal:noise ratio, after all. There's way more Usenet than
I'll ever read, so missing a bit of signal while blocking a ton of
noise, is worth it. I think we're both saying the same thing.

Dave