Q: Rembrandt "De Nachtwacht"

Old November 24th 04, 04:47 PM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:50:21 GMT, Bruce wrote:

THUS spake Mr. Tracy Barber in
news
... Nevertheless the "Nigh****ch" appeals to many people.

Including those who like progressive rock. King Crimson released "The
Night Watch", which is (seems) a story about the painting / period.
This was on the "Starless & Bible Black" album of 1974.

"Shine, shine, the light of good works shine
The watch before the city gates depicted in their prime
That golden light all grimy now
Three hundred years have passed
The worthy Captain and his squad of troopers standing fast

[cut]

Not too often does good art imitate good art, or does it?

(I may not know too much about stamps, (?) but when you get into this
type of music, look out...)

Indeed! Very interesting. I was aware of, say, Todd Rundgren's "The
Lord of the Rings" from long ago (though I've never heard it); but this
is new to me.

Cool! A response! Though everyone was too snooty (considering the
subject matter?) :^) to do so! Admiring all the other artwork on
other's web sites and talking all this high culture stuff, they were!

Give 'em a round of blunderbuss and a slice of halberd shaft type
thingie I will !!!!!

(Yes, Rodney, your response was great!) I must be too young for most
of the crowd here. :^P

Although it may seem that many a musician "trash" the classics, that's
one way that I found to listen to the classics - through the "trashed"
versions. Of course, I like some of both sides, such as Mussorgsky's
"Pictures At An Exhibition" - both ELP's and orchestral versions.
Takes into account a lot of artiste genres, from my exposure to
various versions therein.

Well... stamps have portrayed the classics in both paint and music, as
well as contemporaries of today.

And, since they seem to sell in some circles, will so redeem
themselves of said virtue in collections future.

[ Eh? hmmm... ]

Tracy Barber