What am I missing here?

Old February 9th 05, 03:37 PM
Moses Horwitz

Default What am I missing here?

What am I missing here?

This coin usually goes for around $120

What made this one worth over $200

JAM
Old February 9th 05, 03:47 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 10:37:22 -0500, Moses Horwitz "Moses
wrote:

What am I missing here?

This coin usually goes for around $120

What made this one worth over $200

JAM

Hmm ... prices on the PCGS website are somewhat higher.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old February 9th 05, 04:43 PM
Phil DeMayo

wrote:

What am I missing here?

This coin usually goes for around $120

What made this one worth over $200

JAM

1. Well, there was a bidding war for the coin and the high bidder
obviously felt it was worth even more than the $205.01 as he upped his
maximum bid once he took the lead for good.

2. It looks to be a very clean 64 so the bidders may have felt it was
a crackout candidate.

3. The weak dollar may also factor in as the winner is from Great
Britain.

Old February 9th 05, 05:51 PM
Moses Horwitz

wrote:

What am I missing here?

This coin usually goes for around $120

What made this one worth over $200

JAM

Hmm ... prices on the PCGS website are somewhat higher.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Prices on the PCGS website are the most over optimistic prices on the web. Prices on the PCGS web site are for coins in PCGS holders that have been hyped up by the set registry promotions.

JAM
Old February 9th 05, 05:52 PM
Moses Horwitz

wrote:

What am I missing here?

This coin usually goes for around $120

What made this one worth over $200

JAM

1. Well, there was a bidding war for the coin and the high bidder
obviously felt it was worth even more than the $205.01 as he upped his
maximum bid once he took the lead for good.

2. It looks to be a very clean 64 so the bidders may have felt it was
a crackout candidate.

3. The weak dollar may also factor in as the winner is from Great
Britain.

Hummm, could be, could be.

JAM
Old February 9th 05, 06:50 PM
Ira Stein

Well, actually, although the Coin Universe prices are high in some
areas, they are woefully low in others. Despite the claims on their
website that prices are updated weekly (or some such words) the fact is
that some of their prices are over a year old and are now well under
wholesale levels. I know this and I live with this fact every day.

PCGS is so busy with other paying areas of their business that they
have no staff or even a single full time person to update these prices
much less check all the data sources .

As far as your claim that the 1935 certified Peace Dollar sells for
about $120, the current Graysheet dealer wholesale is $125 bid and $135
asked (for an average one). That coin looks like a much better than
average one, I'd say PQ, from the photos and I'm not at all surprised
that it went over wholesale. Besides, whether it's a crack-out
candidate or not, folks frequently pay over so-called retail (which is
often out of date in a rising market) for coins with better than
"average" eye appeal. I pay strong money all the time for such coins
and I have no problem selling them.

So, to anwser your question, that's what "you are missing."

Ira

Old February 11th 05, 03:51 PM
Moses Horwitz

Ira Stein wrote:

[...]

Humm, maybe, maybe

http://tinyurl.com/6gmxy

http://tinyurl.com/5o4ft

JAM

The case of the missing Half Cent Randy Thompson Coins 9 November 26th 04 10:33 PM
Rock-ola 1434 Super Rocket missing catridge Adelphia Juke Boxes 3 November 9th 04 06:12 AM
Missing Mint Mark Bad Dog Coins 7 September 23rd 04 06:46 PM
AMI Model A Missing Jewel StropeDukeofjuke Juke Boxes 2 September 10th 04 10:53 PM
Missing 1913 Liberty Head nickel found William T. Gibbs Coins 22 August 1st 03 02:48 AM