TECH: Complete *******ization of jukebox

Old August 26th 03, 03:36 AM
M. Osten

Default TECH: Complete *******ization of jukebox

I need some tech help, but first of all I hope not to offend and of you juke
guys by what I'm about to do

I purchaced a 70's Rockola juke missing its power supply. I've torn out all
the internals in preparation to make it into a mp3 jukebox.

First question:

Please take a look at this pictu
http://www.bleepyou.com/pinball/Phot...00333.jpg.html (back)
http://www.bleepyou.com/pinball/Phot...00332.jpg.html (front)

This is the circut board behind the selection buttons. Do the switches act
as momentary contact switches? Meaning, can i just soder leads to each
contact point and have them act as momentary contact switches? I have an
IPAC keyboard encoder (www.ultimarc.com) that will translate the momentary
contacts to keyboard chars. If not, does anyone know which of these soder
points is ground?

Second question:

I'd like to use the existing amp and speakers interfaced to a computer.
What could the original power supply be replaced with? A switching power
supply from a vid?

Old August 26th 03, 03:49 AM
Terry Legere & Linda Allen

Hi Everyone. I have a problem on a seeburg Trashcan I am working on.
Everything seems to be working fine selection wise except when I make
selection 20. The turntable shaft catches the tray as it comes across.
I dont seem to see an adjustment for this. Any help or advice would be
appreceiated. Thanks terry
--
Terry Legere/Linda Allen

Terry's Jukeboxes
http://www3.sympatico.ca/rockola1422/juke.htm

Old August 27th 03, 01:27 AM
Jjmscf

Those are momentary contact switches.I would recommend getting the original
power supply to power the amp.That would be alot easier than trying to match up
a power supply to the amp.If your're going to use the original amp you'll have
to attenuate the audio since it was designed for input from a magnetic phono
cartridge which is a much lower level than the line level input from the
computer.Some amps have a microphone or auxilary input.If it's a microphone
input you still might have to antenuate it.Overloading the input of an amp
results in very distorted sound.
Old August 27th 03, 04:59 AM
John Robertson

Make sure the mechanism is moving freely, if gummy at all this might
cause your problem.

John :-#)#

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:49:48 -0400, Terry Legere & Linda Allen
wrote:

Hi Everyone. I have a problem on a seeburg Trashcan I am working on.
Everything seems to be working fine selection wise except when I make
selection 20. The turntable shaft catches the tray as it comes across.
I dont seem to see an adjustment for this. Any help or advice would be
appreceiated. Thanks terry

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com

Old August 28th 03, 02:48 PM
M. Osten

I'm using this software as a front end:

http://www.virtualmusicjukebox.com/

runs on windows 2000. It is similiar to "Touch Tunes" product if anyone

is
familiar with that.
I've got enough harddrive space to hold 3500-4000 cd's.

I havn't decided on what to do with the amp yet. I'll post back with
pictures when it is done.

Here's a pic of what it looks like at this point:

http://tinyurl.com/lgtv

I'm not using the internal amp yet, and I still have a lot of cosmetic work
to be done.

Old August 29th 03, 07:52 AM
Andy Parnell

It is most likely the cam follower on the turntable lift assembly. It rides
the cam on the main shaft. The grease in these hardens and instead of
spinning freely on the cam, it drags and wears flat spots in it. When it
gets worn down, it keeps the turntable from going down far enough. I think
Victory Glass sales these for about $15.

Old August 29th 03, 03:39 PM
KLR

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:48:02 -0500, "M. Osten"
wrote:

I'm using this software as a front end:

http://www.virtualmusicjukebox.com/

runs on windows 2000. It is similiar to "Touch Tunes" product if anyone

is
familiar with that.
I've got enough harddrive space to hold 3500-4000 cd's.

I havn't decided on what to do with the amp yet. I'll post back with
pictures when it is done.

Here's a pic of what it looks like at this point:

http://tinyurl.com/lgtv

I'm not using the internal amp yet, and I still have a lot of cosmetic work
to be done.

I would consider buying a commercial amp and putting it in there.
(preferably with an IR remote) If this was originally a record
jukebox - you might have problems connecting a line level input to it.

There is also the matter of the sound too. I cant remember rock ola
having fantastic sound and on many there was no bass enclosure - the
woofers were just mounted at the lower front of the machine. I doubt
that there would be a decent top end (tweeter) on the juke either.

mounting decent speakers in the bottom (commercial box ones) might be
worth considering if you want really great sound and have the space
spare.

PS: Your carpet looks much like mine.

Old August 31st 03, 02:56 AM
KLR

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:49:47 -0500, "M. Osten"
wrote:

I would consider buying a commercial amp and putting it in there.
(preferably with an IR remote) If this was originally a record
jukebox - you might have problems connecting a line level input to it.

I've decided to do just that. Any idea what wattage to go with to match the
speakers?

I would look for about 65w RMS or up to get a good sound. (Note that
many common "consumer" amps and sytems are still rated in peak or PMPO
power and this is substantially less wattage than the RMS (real)
value.

You can buy new, upgrade your current stereo system and use it's amp
in the juke or in many cases you can pick up really good amps /
receivers at good second hand dealers or pawnbrokers. Quite often
here I find good technics/sansui/AWA and other such from 80's vintage
for $50-100 US.

Appearance matters not as it will be hidden from view inside the juke.

PS: Your carpet looks much like mine.

Yea, my house is still stuck in the 70's.

yes. Financial reasons tend to keep it that way here