Leatherbound Dickens 1909

Old September 22nd 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Default Leatherbound Dickens 1909

I wrote:

there is nothing intrinsically wrong with liking
nice books.

"The Bobino" replied:

Nobody said there was and no sane, logical person would have
inferred that from my post.

Bob, you are a cantankerous old git, and proud of it. Nothing wrong with
that, I suppose, but you are in no position to speak on behalf of sane,
logical people.

Michel wrote:

They would make great fuel if you run out of logs for your woodstove this
winter.

You gave tacit approval to this philistine suggestion by replying:

Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions like to buy them for their
"library" so that they can look well read.

So what? So some nitwits buy nice books just for show? Just what exactly
*are* you expecting sane, logical people to infer from this?

I repeat, whatever nitwits do (and I'm sure Bob Finnan is an expert on
this subject) there is nothing intrinsically wrong with liking nice books.

Oh, that's right - it's Mr. Spamamoto. Sorry.

No problem. Apology accepted. Oh, you got my name wrong again.

Pip pip!

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old September 22nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
The Bobino

John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:
I wrote:

there is nothing intrinsically wrong with liking
nice books.

"The Bobino" replied:

Nobody said there was and no sane, logical person would have
inferred that from my post.

Bob, you are a cantankerous old git, and proud of it. Nothing wrong with
that, I suppose, but you are in no position to speak on behalf of sane,
logical people.

And, I suppose you think YOU are? Not bloody likely Spamamoto.

Michel wrote:

They would make great fuel if you run out of logs for your woodstove this
winter.

You gave tacit approval to this philistine suggestion by replying:

Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions like to buy them for their
"library" so that they can look well read.

So what? So some nitwits buy nice books just for show? Just what exactly
*are* you expecting sane, logical people to infer from this?

You are such a pathetic old ****** Spmamoto.
Stick to the subject (try real hard but stop when smoke starts coming
out of your ears) of my statement, which nowhere implied that there is
anything wrong with liking nice books.
But you knew that, didn't you Spamamoto?

Old September 22nd 06, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Jack Campin - bogus address

"The Bobino" wrote:
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:
there is nothing intrinsically wrong with liking nice books.

Which is pretty apposite to these turn-of-the-century Nelson editions.
I've seen a lot of them; the covers don't fade, the bindings still hold
together, the paper doesn't crumble, the print is not that sharp but
the ink is still a very dense black. They were produced in enormous
quantities so they're never going to have any rarity value, but if you
want a copy of Dickens to read and maybe read again in forty years'
time they're the best value for money on the market.

You are such a pathetic old ****** Spmamoto.

And you appear to be an offensive foul-mouthed ****wit with some kind
of obsessional grudge nobody else on this group cares about. Go away.

Old September 23rd 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
The Bobino

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:
And you appear to be an offensive foul-mouthed ****wit with some kind
of obsessional grudge nobody else on this group cares about. Go away.

Indeed!

Old September 23rd 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"John R. Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in message

Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions like to buy them for their
"library" so that they can look well read.

I repeat, whatever nitwits do (and I'm sure Bob Finnan is an
expert on this subject) there is nothing intrinsically wrong
with liking nice books.

But New Reformed (up until 12 hrs ago at least) Bob isn't actually
saying that there is. From what I can see at least.

He's merely pointing out that some people like nice books for
different reasons to other people.

Neither is he claiming that "wanting to appear well read" is
necessarily a bad thing either.

He just made a straightforward factual observation, without
passing any kind of judgement at all.

The only real judgement in NRB's post from what I can see, would
appear to be in the "Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions" jibe.

michael adams

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old September 23rd 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message

And you appear to be an offensive foul-mouthed ****wit with
some kind of obsessional grudge nobody else on this group
cares about. Go away.

John actually started it, by calling New Reformed Bob here
"a cantankerous old git" simply by virue of the fact that NRB
simply alluded to "Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions".

This in my opinion, was deliberately intended to provoke
New Reformed Bob, back into his former ways. Back into a
vicious cycle of abuse and recrimination.

When like me, you've been accused by Bob Finnon ( NRB as was )
of sniffing little boys bicycle seats, and being labelled "Adumbs"
for months on end, then perhaps then you'll have something to
complain of. As it is you haven't.

I happen to welcome sinners back into the fold who repent. Whatever
their past wrongdoings. And I can only suggest you direct own your
laughable attempts at foul-mouthed repartee to local Glasgow Groups
where it may be better appreciated.

In addition Finnon also happens to like animals.

Which is good enough for me.

michael adams

557

Old September 23rd 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Bob Finnan wrote (abuse deleted):

Stick to the subject (try real hard but stop when smoke starts coming
out of your ears) of my statement, which nowhere implied that there is
anything wrong with liking nice books.

Sorry if I read you wrongly, Bob. I simply wanted to balance up the idea
that rich nitwits like such books with the observation that, well, one
doesn't *have* to be a rich nitwit in order to like them.

Just a passing comment, really; I didn't want to start World War III.

But you knew that, didn't you Spamamoto?

You mean you think I posted off-topic just to annoy you? Actually, I've
been away for the past two months, during which time I only snatched an
occasional look at this newsgroup via Google groups. I hadn't realised
that you were now posting as "the Bobino", though looking back I see you
responded in a hostile way to something else I wrote a couple of weeks
ago, and if I'd been reading messages more thoroughly I'd have put two
and two together.

I agree with you; rich nitwits *do* like to adorn their "libraries" with
editions like this in order to impress people. But I also want to put in
a good word for such editions, which I consider are a pleasure to own
and to read.

Do you disagree with me on that? If so, let's knuckle down and fight it
out - that's the fun of this group. But in the great scheme of things it
is just a small point and any storm we kick up about it is only a storm
in a teacup. No point in getting all het up.

Once again, sorry if my comments seemed provocative; they weren't meant
that way.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old September 23rd 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Jack Campin wrote:

you appear to be an offensive foul-mouthed ****wit with
some kind of obsessional grudge nobody else on this
group cares about. Go away.

Michael Adams replied:

Hold on, Michael. What I actually said was:

Bob, you are a cantankerous old git, and proud of it.
Nothing wrong with that...

And there isn't. You've been around the group long enough to know that
that's Bob's trademark. In fact, in days before he and I fell out, I
believe I called him something of the sort in an e-mail. Or was it
"curmudgeonly old sod"? Anyway, it was something along those lines and
he took it as the compliment it was meant to be.

...simply by virue of the fact that NRB simply alluded to
"Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions".

Not at all. I called him a cantankerous old git because he was labelling
me as insane and illogical and insisting on calling me by a silly name:

no sane, logical person would have inferred that from
my post.

Oh, that's right - it's Mr. Spamamoto. Sorry.

Michael goes on to say that my jibe

was deliberately intended to provoke New Reformed Bob,
back into his former ways. Back into a vicious cycle
of abuse and recrimination.

I'm sorry you think so badly of me. If Bob is so newly reformed, perhaps
he might like to stop calling people by silly nicknames and insist that
anyone who makes a point that differs from his own is illogical and insane.

When like me, you've been accused by Bob Finnon ( NRB
as was ) of sniffing little boys bicycle seats, and
being labelled "Adumbs" for months on end, then
perhaps then you'll have something to complain of.
As it is you haven't.

Yes, you've been on the receiving end of his venom almost as much as I
have. If you feel I was out of order that carries weight with me, but
I'm a bit surprised nevertheless.

I happen to welcome sinners back into the fold who repent.
Whatever their past wrongdoings.

OK. Well, I won't be outdone as a Jesus figure by you, my man, and if
it's all about letting bygones be bygones, well, by all means, let's do it.

Frankly, I like Bob's cantankerousness. I'd be sorry to see a
butter-wouldn't-melt-in-his-mouth Bob. I do get tired of the abuse,
though, and hope that he does reform in that direction.

I can only suggest you direct own your laughable attempts at
foul-mouthed repartee to local Glasgow Groups
where it may be better appreciated.

Yes, there was a certain irony in his remark ("foulmouthed ****wit")
which did rather undermine his point!

Still, he gave a jolly good summary of the Nelson editions of Dickens,
so credit where credit is due.

In addition Finnon also happens to like animals.

Does he eat them, though?

Which is good enough for me.

Let's not get too carried away here; the founder of the Imperial Fascist
League was an animal-lover, as was the antisemitic author of *Tarka the
Otter*, just to mention a couple of small fry in that league.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org
Old September 23rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
John R. Yamamoto-Wilson

Bob Finnan wrote:

Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions like to buy them for
their "library" so that they can look well read.

I replied:

whatever nitwits do (and I'm sure Bob Finnan is an expert
on this subject) there is nothing intrinsically wrong
with liking nice books.

Michael Adams responded:

But New Reformed (up until 12 hrs ago at least) Bob isn't
actually saying that there is.

Nor am I saying that Bob is saying there is. He's saying that some
people buy editions like this to look good on the shelves and I'm saying
that, while that may be true, they're still nice books and still worth
having. Note that I said it in the context of a previous poster
facetiously suggesting that they should be burned.

Now, what's wrong with that? I agree with Bob's point and, if he stopped
jumping down my throat, he might consider that perhaps he also agrees
with mine.

If you stop to think about it, Michael, saying the previous person
"wasn't saying that" can be a pretty specious way of curtailing a
discussion.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Old September 23rd 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
michael adams

Bob Finnan wrote:

Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions like to buy them for
their "library" so that they can look well read.

I replied:

whatever nitwits do (and I'm sure Bob Finnan is an expert
on this subject) there is nothing intrinsically wrong
with liking nice books.

Michael Adams responded:

But New Reformed (up until 12 hrs ago at least) Bob isn't
actually saying that there is.

Nor am I saying that Bob is saying there is. He's saying that some
people buy editions like this to look good on the shelves and I'm saying
that, while that may be true, they're still nice books and still worth
having.

So are you claiming that the two can necessarily be understood as being
mutually exclusive, in the context as expressed by Bob ?

Surely if Bob's comment can be understood as a criticism, as you claim,
and not merely as an observation, then that critisism can only have
validity in a context where Bob already acknowledges the books to be
of some value. While obviously the new owners regard the books as
being of value, if only as decoration.

a) So who exactly is it, who you are claiming regards the books as having
little value ? As not worth having ?

Note that I said it in the context of a previous poster
facetiously suggesting that they should be burned.

Nope - your first post in response to Bob.

The Bobino wrote:

Nitwits with newly acquired McMansions like to buy them for
their "library" so that they can look well read.

That may sometimes be the case, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong
with liking nice books.

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org

Now, what's wrong with that? I agree with Bob's point

The above strongly implies that you don't. Bob's comment can be read
as being totally non-judgemental. That's the point. He's merely stating
a fact. So the question of "intrinsically wrong" simply doesn't come
into it. It doesn't either, in the light of a) above.

and, if he stopped
jumping down my throat, he might consider that perhaps he also agrees
with mine.

He doubtless would do. Given the context, this being a book collecting
group. However that has no bearing on what he actually suggested.
Which was a simple statement of fact.

If you stop to think about it, Michael, saying the previous person
"wasn't saying that" can be a pretty specious way of curtailing a
discussion.

It would be, if it happened to be true.

Newly reformed Bob is not half as curmudgeonly or foul-mouthed as the
former Bob. I was actually a bit worried about him, to tell the truth.
But as he never responded to my post on the matter, I was still none
the wiser. At least until he was woken from his slumbers.

michael adams

John
http://rarebooksinjapan.org