The Canon as set by Authors Cards

Old August 24th 03, 11:13 PM
Francis A. Miniter

Default The Canon as set by Authors Cards

Last night, when moving boxes in the basement, I came across a true
find. My set of authors cards from the 1950s, purchased by my mother
for me for the price of 15 cents.

Curiously, though, even before they were found, I have been ruminating
on the effect of such games on our perception of both the importance of
literature and what constitutes the central body of literature - the
canon as the term is now used. For me, the game was truly educational.
In part from those cards, I learned to appreciate good literature. But
that also came in part from the fact that my mother read to me and
taught me to read at an early age and brought me to the public library
to take out books. I lived on Albert Payson Terhune books for a year or
so.

The cards did direct you to consider that these writers were the best.
In fact, I came to read some works because they were "in the cards".
And I wonder now if we were to re-create the game once more, what
authors would make the list. The list, I should note, while not all
children's oriented books, are books that are at least accessible to
children, mostly, perhaps. Hamlet? The Scarlet Letter? Idylls of the
King? I note that while I acquired this set of cards in the 1950s,
there is not one 20th century author in the group.

Anyway, here are the authors and the works selected for the game I had:

Shakespeare
Julius Caesar
Romeo and Juliet
The Tempest