FA (again): 1901-O Morgan Silver Dollar, Gem MS63/65 - Beauty!

Old January 28th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default FA (again): 1901-O Morgan Silver Dollar, Gem MS63/65 - Beauty!

This time the listing will stay up until the coin is sold, but I do have
a question about selling on eBay for the group.

When I listed this coin the first time, I had it at a starting price of
$0.99 because that has tended to get more bids with other items, and the
eBay listing fee is low.

However, with less than 24 hours to go before the auction ended, there
wasn't a single bid, not one! So I lost my nerve and rather than let it
go for $0.99, I withdrew it and repriced it at a few cents less than
yesterday's melt value (silver was at $9.57/oz).

But that doesn't seem right, either.

So does anybody have any advice on pricing coins on eBay?

Thanks.

--
Hal
Old January 28th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"anti-spam" wrote in message news:hpMCf.5826$oo1.2281@trnddc02...

So does anybody have any advice on pricing coins on eBay?...

If something is a good seller, e.g. Marine dollars, it is okay to start at
99 cents. Unless something strange happens, it will go for a good price and
the listing fees will be low. If something is an average seller, setting the
price that prevents unacceptable loss is good. If you only get one bid, at
least you didn't lose much. If something is a poor seller, putting it on
eBay at all is not a good idea.

Anita
The queen of losing money

Old January 28th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Thanks, I guess that's about where I got.

I wouldn't like it, but could live with getting the melt value of the
silver. Plus the eBay fee only went up a dime by raising the opening
price from $0.99.

Old January 28th 06, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"anti-spam" wrote in message news:hpMCf.5826$oo1.2281@trnddc02...

This time the listing will stay up until the coin is sold, but I do have a
question about selling on eBay for the group.

When I listed this coin the first time, I had it at a starting price of
$0.99 because that has tended to get more bids with other items, and the
eBay listing fee is low.

However, with less than 24 hours to go before the auction ended, there
wasn't a single bid, not one! So I lost my nerve and rather than let it
go for $0.99, I withdrew it and repriced it at a few cents less than
yesterday's melt value (silver was at $9.57/oz).

But that doesn't seem right, either.

So does anybody have any advice on pricing coins on eBay?

Thanks.

--
Hal

If the coin had garnered one bid, and closed at $0.99, would life as you
know it have ended? Online auctions are a gamble.

Mr. Jaggers

Old January 28th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

If the coin had garnered one bid, and closed at $0.99, would life as you

know it have ended?

It would have been a stupid thing to let happen.

Thanks for the superior attitude, though.
Old January 28th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Anti-spam" wrote in message
Mr. Jaggers wrote:

If the coin had garnered one bid, and closed at $0.99, would life as you

know it have ended?

It would have been a stupid thing to let happen.

Thanks for the superior attitude, though.

Here's another, even more superior attitude: I, Mr. Jaggers, have never
done anything stupid.

But that would be a lie. I've done many stupid things, and survived 'em
all. I think my observation was quite appropriate in the light of your
original post.

Mr. Jaggers

Old January 28th 06, 09:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Anti-spam" wrote in message
It would have been a stupid thing to let happen.

Thanks for the superior attitude, though.

There's another thing you can do. If a coin is not moving, you can raise the
opening bid on the last day to what you would accept for the coin. I've done
this on occasion with some of my things. Markets can go up and down, so it's
nice to have a way to respond quickly to them. No one wants to lose money
too often. It would be a good way to go out of business fast.

Anita

Old January 28th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Mr. Jaggers wrote:

I think my observation was quite appropriate in the light of your

original post.

Not even remotely appropriate, just stupidly supercilious.

Old January 29th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Anti-spam" wrote in message
Mr. Jaggers wrote:

I think my observation was quite appropriate in the light of your

original post.

Not even remotely appropriate, just stupidly supercilious.

Supercilious! Anybody who knows that word is OK in my book. So much so,
I'll let that be the last word on this subject.

Mr. Jaggers