What does a rare 1982 penny look like?

Old May 13th 10, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Al Dykes

Default What does a rare 1982 penny look like?

I've got a jar of 1982 Lincoln cents. Can someone point me to a page
that makes the different versions clear? So far none I've seen have
helped.

Thanks.
--
Al Dykes

Old May 13th 10, 05:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On 12 May 2010 19:05:22 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

I've got a jar of 1982 Lincoln cents. Can someone point me to a page
that makes the different versions clear? So far none I've seen have
helped.

Al,

You can see the differences in the dates by going to
http://www.coinpeople.com/1982-Cent-Fun-t7417.html

There are a total of seven different varieties:

1982 Large Date Bronze
1982 Small Date Bronze
1982-D Large Date Bronze
1982 Large Date Zinc
1982 Small Date Zinc
1982-D Large Date Zinc
1982-D Small Date Zinc

The only thing you won't be able to tell by looking is whether the
coin is copper or bronze. For that, you'd have to check the weight.

take care,
Scott
Old May 13th 10, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Al Dykes

In article ,
Scott Stevenson wrote:
On 12 May 2010 19:05:22 -0400, (Al Dykes) wrote:

I've got a jar of 1982 Lincoln cents. Can someone point me to a page
that makes the different versions clear? So far none I've seen have
helped.

Al,

You can see the differences in the dates by going to
http://www.coinpeople.com/1982-Cent-Fun-t7417.html

There are a total of seven different varieties:

1982 Large Date Bronze
1982 Small Date Bronze
1982-D Large Date Bronze
1982 Large Date Zinc
1982 Small Date Zinc
1982-D Large Date Zinc
1982-D Small Date Zinc

The only thing you won't be able to tell by looking is whether the
coin is copper or bronze. For that, you'd have to check the weight.

take care,
Scott

Thanks. That does it.

--
Al Dykes

Old May 13th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Roßert G. Schaffrath

On 5/13/2010 12:30 PM, Scott Stevenson wrote:
The only thing you won't be able to tell by looking is whether the
coin is copper or bronze. For that, you'd have to check the weight.

take care,
Scott

Or tap it with another coin. Copper cents ring, zinc cents go thunk.

Old May 24th 10, 10:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On May 12, 7:05*pm, (Al Dykes) wrote:
I've got a jar of 1982 Lincoln cents. *Can someone point me to a page
that makes the different versions clear? *So far none I've seen have
helped.

Thanks.
--
Al Dykes
*News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising.
* * - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail

You could always buy a jewelery/coin scale that weights in grams.
Their is a difference in weight.
Old August 1st 10, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Gene85

On Thu, 13 May 2010 16:30:15 GMT,
(Scott Stevenson) wrote:

On 12 May 2010 19:05:22 -0400,
(Al Dykes) wrote:

I've got a jar of 1982 Lincoln cents. Can someone point me to a page
that makes the different versions clear? So far none I've seen have
helped.

Al,

You can see the differences in the dates by going to
http://www.coinpeople.com/1982-Cent-Fun-t7417.html

There are a total of seven different varieties:

1982 Large Date Bronze
1982 Small Date Bronze
1982-D Large Date Bronze
1982 Large Date Zinc
1982 Small Date Zinc
1982-D Large Date Zinc
1982-D Small Date Zinc

The only thing you won't be able to tell by looking is whether the
coin is copper or bronze. For that, you'd have to check the weight.

take care,
Scott

Create a balance using a flat popsicle type stick.
Glue a pre 1982 cent on one end.
Place a similar coin on the other end.
Mark the balance point and attach a hook.
This becomes a balance scale.
When a zinc coin is placed on it
the copper side will always be lower (It's heavier)