PCGS slabs 95 counterfeit Morgans and offers to make guarantee good

Old May 14th 05, 02:54 PM
Alan Williams

Bob Peterson wrote:

"Alan Williams" wrote in message
Steven Preston wrote:

snip

Reid Goldsborough is a sure-fire love-getting punch line at every coin
club meeting and bourse I have ever attended. Amazing how willing he is
to make a laughingstock of himself, but to the narcissist, there is no
such thing as 'unwanted attention'.

He has managed to attract enough attention to become a laughingstock?

I never heard his name anywhere but on RCC and a few coin lists.

Mostly the mirth is about his byline in coin magazines. Few seemed
aware of his on-line antics, but most recognize the light-weight fluff
he's authored in periodicals.

Alan
'humor is where you find it'
Old May 14th 05, 04:04 PM
Nick Knight

In glnhe.78514$NU4.71134@attbi_s22, on 05/14/2005
at 01:49 PM, "Bob Peterson" said:

He has managed to attract enough attention to become a laughingstock?
I never heard his name anywhere but on RCC and a few coin lists.

From my observations, Alan has always had trouble recognizing reality. To
him "current events" are things that happened decades ago. He tries to
embellish his "experiences" and opinions and make them seem more important
than they are. Not very successfully. To me, he is and will remain a
fluffy, insignificant twit. I'd place his as my second most worthwhile
killfile entry.

I will second your observations. I do manage, on occassion, to get to the
monthly VFW coin show here. Small, seemingly "friendly" show with lots of
chatter. I don't recall Reid or even RCC ever being mentioned. i do hear
"eBay" as if it's now a household word. I suppose it is. Then, I go to the
periodic larger "Coin Expo" show held locally. Usually pretty disappointing
as far as shows go. However, the scuttlebutt seems to be about coins, go
figure. RCC? Reid? I don't think so. Still debating on the ANA this
year; it would involve a plane ride and higher-than-usual cost for me and my
SO. I still wouldn't expect to hear Reid's name mentioned anywhere. And if
it is, good for him!

I suppose it's possible that, in some small coin club circle, where members
don't really have a social life outside of "the club", and where most of
their other "friends" are "virtual", there might be talk of Reid and that
incredible spectacle he stirs on RCC. They'd have to get their excitement,
in this limited form, however they can. I can guess at the members of said
club, or at least who they might ressemble. Hmmmmm. Suddenly I'm feeling a
little sorry for Alan. Ok, I guess that's nothing out of the ordinary.
But I think I've got him in the right place in my own "normal thinkers"
club. There, where he belongs, he will remain.

If only we could just collect coins. I suppose that would leave some here
with too much idle time, eh?

Nick
Old May 15th 05, 01:59 PM
Alan Williams

at 01:49 PM, "Bob Peterson" said:

He has managed to attract enough attention to become a laughingstock?
I never heard his name anywhere but on RCC and a few coin lists.

From my observations, Alan has always had trouble recognizing reality.

Coming from you, this is the praise of the highest order. ;-) Thanks,
Nick. For the newcomer, Nick's 'current events' crack somes from our
intial exchange years ago, in which I referenced Ohio's famous river
fire, when the Cayahoga (sp?) burned due to it's highly polluted
condition. Nick denied the event ever happened, called me a liar, in
fact. When he was shown the news accounts he backpedaled to his current
position of denigrating the 'age of my information'. LOL! As if truth
is not true!

Alan
'ask yourself who denies reality'
Old May 15th 05, 02:00 PM
Alan Williams

Alan Williams wrote:

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

(snip)

I'm waiting for another of your Big Lies comebacks. History (almost)
always repeats. You talk about laughingstock. Well, this thread
started out about forgeries. You could always liken yet again those
who collect forgeries of old coins to heroin dealers and international
terrorists. Oh, that's right, you denied saying this, after saying it
at least a half dozen times.

Then kindly produce a quote, a google reference, rather than a
paraphrase, your bald assertion.
Alternatively, shut your yap. You are an embarrassment.

Alan
'not suffering the fool'

Still waiting, loudmouth.

Alan
'not that it will stop him from saying it again'
Old May 16th 05, 04:28 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 14 May 2005 15:04:55 GMT, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

From my observations, Alan has always had trouble recognizing reality. To

What's most amazing about Alan Williams is not that he lies as his
flame weapon of choice, which he does repeatedly, not that he knows he
lies, which is apparent, not that others know he lies, which is also
apparent, but that he makes up lies without any qualms whatsoever. He
appears to accept lying as accepted behavior, normal behavior, what
you do. I've said before, and it still applies, that I've never seen
anybody, online or off, lie with such abandon. There's no point in
trying to talk with him.

I believe he has said that he works in advertising, which along with
other facets of his past that he has publicly revealed goes a long way
to explaining his attitude and behavior. Yes, he's an aberration, a
pathological distortion of societal norms and expectations, a gross
perversion of the bedrock ideals of civilized culture. But he's a
warning too, a warning of what can happen to an individual if the spin
mindset of advertising and politics goes too far.

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old May 16th 05, 04:30 PM
Reid Goldsborough

wrote:

If only we could just collect coins. I suppose that would leave some here
with too much idle time, eh?

Online flaming is interesting as a phenomenon, from one perspective
anyway. It's something that has been studied by sociologists and
written about in academic journals and general-interest publications.
There are many facets to flaming, perhaps the saddest of which is how
some people seem to live for it. You see it in their behavior, how
they repeatedly try to start flamewars or jump into them whenever
started by others. It's a relatively small handful in this newsgroup,
but it's the same people just about every time. Flaming is a
perversion of debate, where ideas are vociferously argued,
substantively, using evidence, logic, and persuasion. Flaming is
devoid of substance, the often mindless attacking of another person
rather than the mindful attacking of his or her ideas or position. I'm
no saint. I've been guilty of this myself, when ignoring a person,
killfiling him, or reasoning with him hasn't worked. And it often
doesn't. These flame people seem to live for flaming. There's no good
solution, as far as I can see. It's an inevitable part of the online
world.

Old May 21st 05, 02:03 AM
Ed. Stoebenau

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 21:59:20 GMT, Anita wrote:

My major concern would be that we don't live forever, so counterfeit
or altered coins would have to be marked to keep them from entering
future markets. The idea of marking a coin is very unappealing.

Don't worry. I'm not aware of any specific coin identified as
the owner as being a contemporary counterfeit (and
non-fraudulantly) and later being sold as genuine. (Or for that
matter, any specific numismatic counterfeit being sold as such at
later times.)[1] You should be more concerned about that roll of
1944-D Lincolns being converted into 19 14-D cents at a later
date than identified contemporary counterfeits being sold as
genuine (as often at lesser value!) at later dates.

*****
[1] Of course, there are bound to be _some_ example of this
happening. It just apparently is rather insignificant in number
(or value).

--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143