Advice for a newbee

Old August 27th 04, 12:29 AM
Bluesea

"Mebsuta" wrote in message
om...

Well, I thought I might use a FP as a guest book pen, but with all the
different people using it (up to 200) maybe the chance it could get
damaged would be to high.

Yup, although something like a Waterman Phileas might be sturdy enough and
low-cost enough (especially at a discount) if it should manage to get itself
killed.

Now I'm thinking maybe a roller ball would be a good signature pen for
about 200 people.

How about a gel?

I'm thinking that you could go with a Phileas with Noodler's black ink. That
way, you would give those of your guests who have never written with a fp a
nice experience and since Noodler's black is waterproof, etc., your guest
book will last longer.

The same with gel ink. Most are water-resistant and archival-quality if not
waterproof whereas rb ink is water-based and may not last as long.

How many pages will it take for 200 signatures? You might need someone to
refill a fp.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old August 27th 04, 02:15 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Mebsuta wrote:
I'd love to get a Pelikan M805 but I'm just a working stiff and can't
justify the cost. So my question is how do the experts like the
Pelikan 200 Demonstrator series?

I like them, but I don't own one personally. My most recent pen
acquisition was a demonstrator though. Many people are happy with
Pelikans.

--
_Deirdre web: http://deirdre.net blog: http://deirdre.org/blog/
"Memes are a hoax! Pass it on!"
Old August 27th 04, 02:24 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

svejk wrote:
I would recommend not bothering with the Pelikan 250. A poor (cheap)
gold nib is less good for writing than a good steel nib. And the nib
is really the nub of the question when considering a fountain pen for
writing. Other than the disappointing nib on my 250 (That nib is in a
box, a cheaper steel nib is used with contentment) I have had good
experience with Peliakn nibs.

This is one reason why I tend to go for moderate pens (higher-quality
steel) or gold. For a steel nib, I'm especially pleased with my Recife.

http://deirdre.org/blog/index.php?p=124

Old August 27th 04, 03:42 AM
Free Citizen

Well, if that is the case then by all means get a RB or GP with a broad tip.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

"Mebsuta" wrote in message
om...
[snip]

Well, I thought I might use a FP as a guest book pen, but with all the
different people using it (up to 200) maybe the chance it could get
damaged would be to high. I'm sure they great signature pens for one
owner, but for 200?

Old August 27th 04, 10:20 AM
mebsuta

snip

In general, IMO and limited experience (so many pens, so little time &
money), the most reliable pens are those made by Lamy, Namiki/Pilot,
Parker,
Pelikan, rOtring, and Waterman. I'm sure there are others and since you're
not the first to ask this question, you may want to search this group for
more recommendations than this thread may provide.

Final words of wisdom:

1. Buy a bottle of Noodler's Black ink
2. Enjoy the fp experience.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Thank you all so much for the great information! I'll be putting my weeks
worth of FP research and this good groups advice to work today. After today,
I'll have a good idea about what my first pen purchase will be. Thanks again

Old August 27th 04, 10:47 AM
Free Citizen

I don't know what your problem with your 250 is but mine works like a song.
And the nib is not a cheapy. It is solid 14K and slightly flex. If you don't
like that kind of feel of course you can opt for the steel ones. for me,
those write like a door nail.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

om...

Old August 27th 04, 01:30 PM
JP

"svejk" wrote in message
om...
The Pelikan 200 has been called the no regret fountain pen. I
certainly have no regrets over mine. Good quality, good price; I like
writing with it.

Be sure that you like to write with a large fountain pen like the 800
before laying down that amount of cash. I find the Peliakn 200 - 400
size just right for long periods of writing; larger pens make my
fingers cramp. (The 405 looks great, too.)

rest of message snipped

I would second the suggestion about pen size. After acquiring some really
nice FPs (like Pelikan 600, Waterman's 56 in red ripple etc and using them
as
writers I found that my writing was terrible, I felt as though my hand did
not work.
But with the smaller pens (like the Skyline) I had a nice smooth hand.
(so I'll be strolling the NYC show with a pocketfull of cash)

My opinion, don't cheap it, buy a decent FP so that at least you get to
experience what a good pen can write like. I would suggest a restored
vintage. One from a recommended pen person who will back it.

Esterbrooks are cheap, though they seem to be selling at a premium lately.
I wouldn't start there. True, I do have medium italic in a dipless holder
as a
desk pen and I love the expressiveness, but the nibs are all over 50 years
old and
finding a good one is hit or miss. I wouldn't go there first, plenty of
time for that
if you become hardcore.

JP

PS Questions for the group

1) Has anyone acquired a Filcao designed by Mr. Binder?
What is the nib like/

2) Levenger's catalogue (that pen version of Peterman's catalogue)
makes reference to nib flexibility in many of their blurbs.
Does anyone know if they really do, specifically that titanium nib.

Old August 27th 04, 05:28 PM
svejk

OK, if others have had good experiences with 250 nibs then let me
withdraw my comments. I only have one 250, maybe someone palmed off a
dud nib on me. This nib is not just very stiff but also 'dead' in
feel. Smooth and good feed, though. It is the only Pelikan nib that
I have that I dislike, from Pelikanos to my 405. Had I bought the pen
new I am sure that I could have gotten a replacement. My milege has
varied.

I don't know what your problem with your 250 is but mine works like a song.

Old August 27th 04, 06:29 PM
Sonam Dasara

svejk wrote:
I would recommend not bothering with the Pelikan 250. A poor (cheap)
gold nib is less good for writing than a good steel nib. And the nib
is really the nub of the question when considering a fountain pen for
writing. Other than the disappointing nib on my 250 (That nib is in
a box, a cheaper steel nib is used with contentment) I have had good
experience with Peliakn nibs.

I disagree with you concerning the 250 - I believe that it's the same
nib as in the 400, but even if it is not, it is an excellent nib with some
nice flex. Perhaps yours was damaged?

--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully
as when they do it from religious conviction."
Blaise Pascal, Pensees, No. 894 (1670)

dovekeeper+at+electric-ink+dot+com

Old August 27th 04, 09:43 PM
KCat

Sonam Dasara wrote:

I disagree with you concerning the 250 - I believe that it's the same
nib as in the 400, but even if it is not, it is an excellent nib with some
nice flex. Perhaps yours was damaged?

The only difference is that the 250 nib is almost always single-tone and the
400 nibs vary (single or two-tone.)

Otherwise, there should be no quality difference other than individual
variation.

I actually prefer steel nibs most of the time. There are a few exceptions -
the two-tone 400 nib in EF for example.