Winner of the grading challenge.....

Old May 2nd 05, 06:42 AM
James Higby

"Jeff Landon" wrote in message
Hmm --

I had to ponder your statement awhile. Trying to determine if I agree
with
it.

I could live with with "nudging" a coin's grade upward due to eye appeal.
I've been a longtime opponent of market-grading in any form (I'm very
black-n-white in my views). I would tend to ask why a coin would need to
be
market-graded, even if it had great eye-appeal. The eye-appeal would
speak
for itself...

Most would agree that a coin's value is in the eye of the beholder. If
that's true, what does it matter if my Flyer got an AU58 grade or an MS62
grade? Same coin, same eye-appeal. But someone felt the need to assign
it
the higher grade. Why? Is that coin in a '62 holder worth more than if
it
had been put in a '58 holder? In fact, if I were to sell the coin, I'd
probably have more success selling it as an "AU58 with terrific
eye-appeal"
than an "overgraded MS62".

On a side note, I also don't like the ANACS practice of net-grading
cleaned
coins. Who are they to say that a cleaned AU coin is worth XF money?
Maybe
it wouldn't sell for more than VF money. Why can't they just say "cleaned
AU" on the holder, and dispense with the "net" designation?

Exactly. In my experience, it is almost impossible to sell a cleaned coin
back to a dealer at any price at all, let alone just one grade level below
the technical grade.

James

Old May 2nd 05, 08:47 PM
Tony Clayton

In a recent message Anita wrote:

On Sun, 1 May 2005 21:53:04 -0400, "Robert Korn"
My experience seems to be that the coins are MS-63 when I want to buy them,
and they are always AU-58's when I want to sell them...

Definitely the truth.

Anita

In the case of this coin, as a collector in the UK I
felt that there were far too many marks in the field
for it to be considered MS - we would call it EF
(extremely fine) which is about the same as an
American AU grade.

Look at that field around the eagle. It is COVERED in
wear marks.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :