How do you catalog your books?

Old April 19th 06, 07:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default How do you catalog your books?

Do you
- use software
- use an online service (which one?)
If any of the above, what features do you like? What features do you find
missing? How much do you pay for the software/service?

SD
--
Manage your book collection online at http://www.parchayi.net/bookshelf
Old April 19th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:13:27 -0400, SD
wrote:

Manage your book collection online at http://www.parchayi.net/bookshelf

So, in other words, you're not so much looking for information, or
just curious about how we catalog our books, as much as pimping for
your own on-line listing service. Am I close?
Old April 20th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

His email is

How about that, spamming from a university account to generate traffic to an
ad-bearing site!
Don't hesitate to let them know:

Another address may be

or

Old April 20th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

wrote:

Manage your book collection online at http://www.parchayi.net/bookshelf

So, in other words, you're not so much looking for information, or
just curious about how we catalog our books, as much as pimping for
your own on-line listing service. Am I close?

I'm just looking at what features I can add to my service. I don't care if you
use or like it or anything else.

--
Manage your book collection online at http://www.parchayi.net/bookshelf
Old April 20th 06, 03:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Why are you intent on screwing up my mailbox? All I want is feedback for
features I can add to my site that will be helpful to collectors. I want to have
the best website out there for book collectors. Do you have any problem with that?

--
Manage your book collection online at http://www.parchayi.net/bookshelf
Old April 20th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Posting one message, on one NewsGroup, as Mr Dalal has done here,
in a possibily mistaken attempt to subsidise his studies, in
no way constitutes spamming.

And as such it's highly unlikely to draw any approbrium,
either from the University of Virginia or from his ISP.

While nothing Mr Dalal has done is likely to bring him
into conflicet with his ISP, it's a standing provision
of all ISPs T&C's that all posts on Usenet and similar
forums, are made using traceeable email adresses.

In posting anonyomously, unlike Siddharth Dalal, who makes
no attempt to disguise his actual identity, and by using a
totally bogus email address, you on the other hand are in clear
breach both of the T&C of your ISP, and of Usenet convention.

And as such, your post has been forwarded to your ISP at
.

Oh, and how's the weather in California BTW ?

michael adams

Thank you and I would like to add that my post couldn't be considered SPAM because
1. It asks questions related to book collecting
2. My website realtes to book collecting and I only want to improve that.

SD
Old April 20th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"SD" wrote in message

Thank you and I would like to add that my post couldn't be
considered SPAM because

1. It asks questions related to book collecting

I beg to differ. It asks questions relating to, how most
effectively to run a book-related website, with commercial links.

Which is definitely off-topic for this NewsGroup and so contrary
to the NewsGroup Charter

2. My website realtes to book collecting and I only want to improve that.

It's also unlikely to succeed. Firstly because collectors don't generate
enough data that they need to use online storage. And so there's
no real advantage in storing data off line, where its potentially
less secure. There's plenty of software available for cataloguing books
which you'd already realise if you'd checked the Google archive for this
NewsGroup. Where this software is subject to frequent discussion.

While secondly, dealers will already by using the inventory software
as supplied by their listing services.

I'd seriously try and think of something else if I were you.

Oh and that will be $200 please. Donated to a charity of your choice.
I know I can trust you.

Have a nice day, and no arguments please.

michael adams

SD

Old April 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

It's also unlikely to succeed. Firstly because collectors don't generate
enough data that they need to use online storage. And so there's
no real advantage in storing data off line, where its potentially
less secure. There's plenty of software available for cataloguing books
which you'd already realise if you'd checked the Google archive for this
NewsGroup. Where this software is subject to frequent discussion.

I kind of want to create a social networking site where people can find other
people who read what they read. Also the site is not targetted at dealers or any
such. It is targetted at people like me, who get books to read and now and to
find the next author or the next book to read.

While secondly, dealers will already by using the inventory software
as supplied by their listing services.

I'd seriously try and think of something else if I were you.

Well I started the site as a bibliographic collection that will be available
free (ad supported) and not like fictiondb.com (paid). However I quickly
realized that it is almost impossible to get a very big list easily. So I am in
process of obtaining OCLC records (about 3.5 million), I have the BN database
(about 500,000 records) and amazon ofcourse is available to everybody. This I'm
hoping will provide me with anough bibliographic information to please almost
everyone.

The only other sites that I know that provide bibliographic information are
ibdof, iblist anf fantasticfiction. However none of those are satisfactory. I
want to create something better, that mentions whether the bibliography is
complete or not, that provides a way to track what books I have read, own, want etc.

Oh and that will be $200 please. Donated to a charity of your choice.
I know I can trust you.

Sure it's all good for taxes..

Have a nice day, and no arguments please.

How about some discussion

Old April 20th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:48:57 -0400, SD
wrote:

I'm just looking at what features I can add to my service. I don't care if you
use or like it or anything else.

And had you been open and honest about it, you might even have gotten
some constructive replies. But the ONLY mention of your "service" is
in the tagline. Can you imagine why some of us assumed you were
spamming?