Tech: Rowe CD100 Not Allowed NI error

Old March 3rd 10, 02:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Max Pinball

Default Tech: Rowe CD100 Not Allowed NI error

I got my Rowe Berkely setup and I put in two CDs, went into the
service menu and initialized the 2 cd's #00 and 01. I thin wnet out of
service mode and the two cds went onto the player and then back into
the magazine and all seemed well.

I then went to play a song from the cd and I got "Not allowed NI", I
think the NI is Not Initialized. When I look in the service menu, i
see CD 00 has 0 tracks and 01 has 0 tracks, tus I am not allowed to
play a song.

I repeated the initiazation program a few more times with no luck, any
ideas???

thx, Max
Old March 3rd 10, 03:29 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Ken Layton

Are they copied or homemade discs? If so, the juke isn't supposed to
play those.

If they are commercial discs, are they in good condition (no
scratches, no cigarette smoke, etc. )?

What model of player is in it? What condition is the player?
Old March 3rd 10, 03:30 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Max Pinball

How do I clear out the memory if for some reason these discs are being
locked out??? There must be a way to clear without removing the
batteries?

The model is a Rowe Berkeley.

also, just to be definitive, I was getting the error "Not Allowed NI".

thx, Max
Old March 3rd 10, 04:46 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Max Pinball

Hi Ken,

these are all store bought CD's. the player is in good condition and
was bought from a vey reputable/trust worthy dealer.

the dealer has offered to exchange he player, but I first wantto
trouble shoot as I do not think it's the player.

after reading some other threads, I will try to initialize the disc in
a different disc position. one that I know is already good (but has
not disc, as the magazine is empty).

if the disc doe initialize in the new postion, how would I unlock the
other slots that are not allowed???

thx, Max
Old March 3rd 10, 10:03 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Max Pinball

I am reading some previous posts --- does the CD need to spin when it
is initialising? I do not recall the disc spinning when it was
initializing last night... perhaps there is an issue there. thanks for
any help.
Old March 4th 10, 12:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 4, 8:03*am, Max Pinball wrote:
I am reading some previous posts --- does the CD need to spin when it
is initialising? I do not recall the disc spinning when it was
initializing last night... perhaps there is an issue there. thanks for
any help.

it should spin, if it doesnt, there is something wrong with the
player.

try and turn the spindle of the player with your fingers. these can
slide down the shaft and bottom out, they then wont turn, or will be
"rough".
The CD will also scrape on the plastic shroud around the spindle.

try it in another slot, and see if it works.

to unlock the other slots, just re-initialse them once you have the
fault fixed, and use a good disc.
Old March 4th 10, 03:34 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Max Pinball

thanks, it definitely was not spinning...

I did disconnect the cd player unit just before to fix a broken sector
gear, maybe I did not plug it back together correctly.

it's not all that complicated though, so hard to believe I messed it
up, but could be.

any thoughts on what to look for if it still doesn't spin after I
check all the connections???

thx, so close I can hear the tunes... LOL. Max

Old March 4th 10, 11:26 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Mar 3, 7:39*pm, kreed wrote:

On Mar 4, 8:03*am, Max Pinball wrote:

I am reading some previous posts --- does the CD need to spin when it
is initialising? I do not recall the disc spinning when it was
initializing last night... perhaps there is an issue there. thanks for
any help.

it should spin, if it doesnt, there is something wrong with the
player.

try and turn the spindle of the player with your fingers. these can
slide down the shaft and bottom out, they then wont turn, or will be
"rough".
The CD will also scrape on the plastic shroud around the spindle.

try it in another slot, and see if it works.

to unlock the other slots, just re-initialse them once you have the
fault fixed, and use a good disc.

you remove the cover (the big black "D" shaped thing around the
spindle) and you raise the spindle very
slowly and carefully by gentle levering using 2 flat blade
screwdrivers from opposite sides. You will feel the spindle move up
slightly as the pressure is applied.
You may have to replace the cover and check if discs play well, then
lever again until the right height is reached.

When the cover is replaced, the underside of the disc should clear the
cover by about 1 mm and should spin freely. If the player doesn't
work, you may have raised the spindle too high, and might have to
lower it slightly. Do all this and test with a few different CD's
that they play properly before you attempt to glue it in place (if you
intend to glue see below).

I have seen on a website about this subject where they state that
shims could be placed under the spindle to keep it raised to the right
height. These could be washers of the right thickness. The spindle can
be removed, a small amount of super glue placed on the metal shaft and
the spindle quickly replaced, with the shims used to stop it from
going down further on the shaft than it should. The glue should then
dry, and prevent it sliding down in future.

Naturally the shims must be removed and the cover replaced and screwed
back down before use. For testing, you can leave the cover off
temporarily, but it should be replaced to avoid dust or other stuff
getting into the player mechanism.

If you cant find the right bit to get the small screws out of the
cover, you can use a small allen key.

Dont lose those screws, they are tiny and easy to lose