France query.

Old March 25th 08, 03:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Geezer.

Default France query.

I see in the Y&T catalogue that a price is quoted for No.1816d used.

This is the 80c. Marianne de Bequet with tropical gum but without the
phosphor bands.

Is this a mistake or is it really possible to distinguish this stamp once it
has been floated ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Geezer.

Old March 25th 08, 04:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 25, 11:23 am, "Geezer." wrote:
I see in the Y&T catalogue that a price is quoted for No.1816d used.

This is the 80c. Marianne de Bequet with tropical gum but without the
phosphor bands.

Is this a mistake or is it really possible to distinguish this stamp once it
has been floated ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Geezer.

I don't think this is an error as such. If so, it must be quite
common,
as the price is not extraordinary. I have seen mint copies without
phosphor, so it is not a matter of them coming off in soaking.

The 60c and 1.00 franc also exist with and without phosphor.

Here are some prices for MNH copies.

1974:

YT #

1814a 60c (typography) no phosphor (1.20 euro)
1815c 60c no phosophor (10 euro)
1816a 80c no phosphor (brilliant (shiny) gum) (5 euro)
1816d 80c no phosphor (tropical gum) (3 euro)

1977:

YT#

1891b 80c no phosphor (0.65 euro)
1892b 1 fr no phosphor (1 euro)

Blair
Old March 25th 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Geezer.

I don't think this is an error as such. If so, it must be quite
common,
as the price is not extraordinary. I have seen mint copies without
phosphor, so it is not a matter of them coming off in soaking.

The 60c and 1.00 franc also exist with and without phosphor.

Here are some prices for MNH copies.

1974:

YT #

1814a 60c (typography) no phosphor (1.20 euro)
1815c 60c no phosophor (10 euro)
1816a 80c no phosphor (brilliant (shiny) gum) (5 euro)
1816d 80c no phosphor (tropical gum) (3 euro)

1977:

YT#

1891b 80c no phosphor (0.65 euro)
1892b 1 fr no phosphor (1 euro)

Blair

Thanks Blair,

I think you may have misunderstood my question.

I was wondering how you could determine the gum type on a used stamp.

Geezer.

Old March 25th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

In a recent message "Geezer." wrote:

[...]

Generally not, but sometimes it is possible.

For example, if the paper differed with the different gum, as in the Italian
Democratica issues in the early days of the Republic.

Or if the stamp was not fully stuck down so had been torn away from the paper
revealing an area of unstuck/unlicked gum.

Or if the stamp had been affixed by the adjacent selvedge (a technique used if
the sender wants to keep the gum intact)

Or if the stamp has been favour cancelled

Any more possibilities?

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old March 26th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Dominique Stéphan

Geezer. a écrit:
I see in the Y&T catalogue that a price is quoted for No.1816d used.

This is the 80c. Marianne de Bequet with tropical gum but without the
phosphor bands.

Is this a mistake or is it really possible to distinguish this stamp
once it has been floated ?

Hi,

You're missing the important thing : it's the without
phosphor one, not the gum type.

I don't have an Y&T here, but I guess there
is there a normal gum and without phosphor bands listed ?

May the listed canceled price be the same for the
two versions ?

--
Cordialement
Dominique Stéphan
Old March 26th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Mar 25, 2:11 pm, "Geezer." wrote:
[...]

Since the stamp with tropival gum was intended for use
in the overseas departments of Ftance, then I imagine
that you could tell by the cancellation. However that
is no guarantee.

Blair

France query. rodney General Discussion 25 October 17th 07 01:21 AM
France query. Rod General Discussion 7 July 6th 06 09:42 PM
France query. Rod General Discussion 1 April 15th 06 09:34 AM
France Query. Rodney General Discussion 6 July 19th 05 02:01 AM
France Query Rodney General Discussion 8 March 7th 05 04:33 AM