Book smell, urban legend or is there a way-

Old August 19th 06, 05:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
krik999

Default Book smell, urban legend or is there a way-

to make it go away?
Please help
Thanks
Gary

Old August 19th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

"krik999" wrote in message
. ..

to make it go away?

It takes months or years, but the exposure of books to warm
sunlight alleviates the musty smell they get from storage in
an unheated basement. You can smell which are the worst
i.e. deserve priority.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old August 21st 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

krik999 wrote:
to make it go away?
Please help
Thanks
Gary

Yes, there is a product that you can buy and I have used in the past.
It comes in a rough powdery mix and you sprinkle it through the book.
It absorbs odors in a few days. Sorry, i can't remember the name but I
am sure an internet search would come up with it.

Old August 21st 06, 10:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

I use baking soda (good ol' fashioned arm & hammer solves most the
world's problems).

Stick book in a zip lock bag with a few tablespoons of the stuff, shake
it around, and leave for 48 hours.

Just watch out when you reopen the bag, as you get a small cloud...

Old August 31st 06, 07:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
RS

I have a surefire way that I use about once a week. Get a good quality
but
not too powerful ozone generator and place the book standing up with a
plastic bag
around it. You should let some of the ozonated air escape. Usually in
about 3 hours the odor will be gone. I'm not so sure this will be that
good of an idea with old leather
books, but with average modern ones it's fine.

Stronger odors take longer or use a few fabric softener sheets in a
closed plastic bag.

--
Robert Pearson
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net