FA: 22 hours left 1921-D Walking Liberty half on eBay

Old May 23rd 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default FA: 22 hours left 1921-D Walking Liberty half on eBay

Top bid is still way below greysheet "bid". Lots of folks watching
though. If you need a 1921-D walker to fill a hole in your collection,
please take a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Walking-L...mZ8421463824QQ
(mind the wrap)

Thanks for looking,
Dave Hinz

Old May 24th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Tue, 23 May 2006 23:01:38 GMT, e wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz wrote:

Top bid is still way below greysheet "bid". Lots of folks watching
though. If you need a 1921-D walker to fill a hole in your collection,
please take a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Walking-L...itemZ842146382
4QQ

i suspect you'll buy a big chunk of silver with your take.

Nope, just lots of very similar, small pieces. I really am torn if I
should tell the dealer what he sold me in one of my scrap silver buys.
If it was Wes or Ira, sure, they'd both be happy for my find I think.
This guy, I just don't know well enough.

Old May 24th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 24 May 2006 01:32:40 GMT, e wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz wrote:

Nope, just lots of very similar, small pieces. I really am torn if I
should tell the dealer what he sold me in one of my scrap silver buys.
If it was Wes or Ira, sure, they'd both be happy for my find I think.
This guy, I just don't know well enough.

you have to decide your morality. the guy i worked for
pulled a similar bonehead. the customer came back a week
later and the dealer told him since he made the mistake, the
customer owned the coin. but not all dealers are like that.

Hm. Way I look at it, he's expected to know the value of what he's
selling. He decided, either overtly or by default, not to check what
was coming into the junk walker bag that day. I have benefited from
that decision.

it was a vf 42/41 d mint merc. not a small hit to take.

I really don't think I owe him even the information that he isn't
checking his incoming scrap sufficiently, let alone money. This isn't
some little old lady on my paper route when I was a kid, who I gave more
than fair money to. This is a brick & mortar dealer who decided that
it's not worth paying someone hourly wage to check the incoming "junk"
for key dates. In this case, he seems to have chosen poorly.

Old May 24th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

The way I look at it is similar to your thoughts. He is a 'professional'
dealer, and is expected to know what he is selling to you. He marks up
most of his coins to make a profit. With the 'junk' silver, he's still
making money. If he is careless enough to not look at it before throwing
it into the junk bin, there's a chance he'll sell something worth more
than he expected.

It's your job, as a buyer, to know what it is you're buying. If you
don't, you stand a good chance that a seller is going to rip you off.
It's a seller's job to know what he's selling. If not, he stands a good
chance of losing out on profit that he might otherwise make.

It's been said here befo Knowledge is power.

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old May 24th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 24 May 2006 01:55:12 GMT, Eric Babula wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in
:

He decided, either overtly or by default, not to check what
was coming into the junk walker bag that day. I have benefited from
that decision.

The way I look at it is similar to your thoughts. He is a 'professional'
dealer, and is expected to know what he is selling to you. He marks up
most of his coins to make a profit. With the 'junk' silver, he's still
making money. If he is careless enough to not look at it before throwing
it into the junk bin, there's a chance he'll sell something worth more
than he expected.

I know for a fact that that's standard practice there; I've sold rolls
of common dimes and quarters that they didn't even glance at, just
tossed in the counter.

It's your job, as a buyer, to know what it is you're buying. If you
don't, you stand a good chance that a seller is going to rip you off.
It's a seller's job to know what he's selling. If not, he stands a good
chance of losing out on profit that he might otherwise make.

The exception being the proverbial little-old-lady, where I feel I owe
her an education so she can make an informed decision. Like the old
lady on my paper route so many years ago. But the dealer? He's playing
the odds, and I came out ahead this time.

It's been said here befo Knowledge is power.

It's not just knowledge though, it's the decision of when to bother to
use it or not.
Old May 24th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In article , Dave Hinz wrote:

Top bid is still way below greysheet "bid". Lots of folks watching
though. If you need a 1921-D walker to fill a hole in your collection,
please take a look.
http://cgi.ebay.com/1921-D-Walking-L...itemZ842146382
4QQ

i suspect you'll buy a big chunk of silver with your take.

Nope, just lots of very similar, small pieces. I really am torn if I
should tell the dealer what he sold me in one of my scrap silver buys.
If it was Wes or Ira, sure, they'd both be happy for my find I think.
This guy, I just don't know well enough.

hmm.

I think if you tell him what you found you'll probably get invited to
not visit the store again just out of the usual dealer peevishness.
At this point, silence is golden.
Cliff

Old May 24th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

It's your job, as a buyer, to know what it is you're buying. If
you don't, you stand a good chance that a seller is going to rip
you off. It's a seller's job to know what he's selling. If not, he
stands a good chance of losing out on profit that he might
otherwise make.

The exception being the proverbial little-old-lady, where I feel I
owe her an education so she can make an informed decision. Like
the old lady on my paper route so many years ago. But the dealer?
He's playing the odds, and I came out ahead this time.

It's been said here befo Knowledge is power.

It's not just knowledge though, it's the decision of when to
bother to use it or not.

I guess, by 'seller', I meant the dealer you got the coin from, as
opposed to the little old lady. I, too, would feel bad about taking
advantage of a little old lady or a friend, and would try to educate
them about what it is that they have.

If I were you, I'd just take the $200+ that you stand to make on this
coin, and bring some of that money back to the dealer to purchase more
of his coins. He doesn't need to know that you made a huge profit off
him. He doesn't even need to know that you buy from him and sell to
others. However, he will appreciate seeing you back in his store with
money to spend!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA