Update on Morgan Dollar set I bought

Old October 5th 04, 02:00 PM
Wes Chormicle

Default Update on Morgan Dollar set I bought

When I bought the set, I went through about 20 of the keys and semi keys to
arrive at a price. Yesterday I looked a little closer at the rest of the
collection. Keep in mind these have been in a Whitman holder for 40-50
years. Because of that, they were all badly tarnished. Tarnish that I
mistook for wear on several coins. A few of the coins were dipped and came
out WONDERFULLY! below is a link to what I thought was a common $15-$20
retail coin. What I got was a blast white stunner that I think will go MS
66. Take a look. If all the coins come back graded as I hope, I'll be
writing another check to the previous owner!

Wes

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/4060/1900oms66.jpg

---

Old October 5th 04, 05:17 PM
f b

Wes,
My collection was also stored in those albums. Have a dark yukky look
to them. What did you dip them in and does it affect their value good
or bad?
Doris

~ Farmers Fighting For Farmers ~
http://www.geocities.com/ampa_ltd/

Old October 5th 04, 05:56 PM
Bill Krummel

"Wes Chormicle" wrote in message
k.net...

When I bought the set, I went through about 20 of the keys and semi keys

arrive at a price. Yesterday I looked a little closer at the rest of the
collection. Keep in mind these have been in a Whitman holder for 40-50
years. Because of that, they were all badly tarnished. Tarnish that I
mistook for wear on several coins. A few of the coins were dipped and

came
out WONDERFULLY! below is a link to what I thought was a common $15-$20
retail coin. What I got was a blast white stunner that I think will go MS
66. Take a look. If all the coins come back graded as I hope, I'll be
writing another check to the previous owner!

Wes

http://img48.exs.cx/img48/4060/1900oms66.jpg

Wes, before you dip any more, get a before & after picture. I have
experimented with dipping and have had little luck on heavily tarnished
coins. I am very conservative in my exposure time to the dip, though. Most
often, I just do an in & out that may not make a full second, and the
longest has been a 2 second dip.

I had a badly tarnished 64 Kennedy that I dipped as an experiment, and even
after several long dips ( 5, 6, maybe 10 seconds), the coin still wasn't
white.

Bill

Old October 5th 04, 06:40 PM
K6AZ

On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:00:02 GMT, "Wes Chormicle" wrote:

When I bought the set, I went through about 20 of the keys and semi keys to
arrive at a price. Yesterday I looked a little closer at the rest of the
collection. Keep in mind these have been in a Whitman holder for 40-50
years. Because of that, they were all badly tarnished. Tarnish that I
mistook for wear on several coins. A few of the coins were dipped and came
out WONDERFULLY! below is a link to what I thought was a common $15-$20
retail coin. What I got was a blast white stunner that I think will go MS
66. Take a look. If all the coins come back graded as I hope, I'll be
writing another check to the previous owner!

When you say tarnished, was there any color on these coins, or were
they toned the drab grey/brown that is seen as negative eye appeal
toning?
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old October 5th 04, 06:52 PM
Edward McGrath

The Morgan dollar trade mark is missing on that morgan (Bag Marks) It's
a beautiful coin I haven't seen too many Morgans with out scratches and
dings. You have a nice blast white morgan.

Old October 6th 04, 02:30 AM
Michael Ng

Wes,

Very few people would write a second check to the previous owner after
getting the coins.

I admire your integrity.

Mike

Old October 6th 04, 03:07 AM
Wes Chormicle

I use E*Z*Est dip. Just a second or two at most.
Done right, it will enhance the value of a coin. Done wrong, it makes it
look "bright" instead of "mint like".

Wes

Old October 6th 04, 03:09 AM
Wes Chormicle

If I didn't, I would not be able to sleep at night. Besides, when I'm done
on this ole earth, I've got to answer to what I've done here to move on...

Wes

Old October 6th 04, 03:18 AM
K6AZ

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 02:08:23 GMT, "Wes Chormicle" wrote:

No color at all. Just a really drab, dull gray.

OK. In that case a careful dipping is in order, because people just
do not want to buy Morgans with drab toning. This one looks like
it turned out pretty well.