Scott Catalogue on CD - User Experience

Old July 16th 07, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin

Default Scott Catalogue on CD - User Experience

Hi
I need to buy a new set of catalogues, the CDs can be had at a much
lower cost, are they woth the money? I would like comments from users
who have experience with both the paper and CD versions.
Richard

Old July 17th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jul 16, 11:46 am, Richard Thouin /invalid
wrote:
Hi
I need to buy a new set of catalogues, the CDs can be had at a much
lower cost, are they woth the money? I would like comments from users
who have experience with both the paper and CD versions.
Richard

Hello Richard:

In order to avoid the increse in SPAM in RCSD , it was suggested that
posters put (RCSD) at the neginning of their Subject line. This will
allow
other readers to screen out the SPAM more easily.

Best Regards
Blair

PS I have not seen the Scott CDs so I cannot comment.

Old July 17th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill Sharpe

Richard Thouin wrote:
Hi
I need to buy a new set of catalogues, the CDs can be had at a much
lower cost, are they woth the money? I would like comments from users
who have experience with both the paper and CD versions.
Richard

I'd agree with Rich's comments. I have printed out the Portugal and
Australia pages for my collection, but I find a search of the PDF files,
which I have copied to my computer, is much faster than going through
page after page on paper. I'd like to see Scott release the catalogs on
DVD's, which would reduce the number of disks required for each volume
to one. That doesn't appear to be in the cards in the immediate future.

Bill Sharpe
Old July 17th 07, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

I'd agree with Rich's comments. I have printed out the Portugal and
Australia pages for my collection, but I find a search of the PDF files,
which I have copied to my computer, is much faster than going through page
after page on paper. ....

Adobe Reader 8 makes searching easier with a search box in the tool bar.

Old July 17th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 04:06:18 GMT, Bill Sharpe
wrote:

Richard Thouin wrote:
Hi
I need to buy a new set of catalogues, the CDs can be had at a much
lower cost, are they woth the money? I would like comments from users
who have experience with both the paper and CD versions.
Richard

I'd agree with Rich's comments. I have printed out the Portugal and
Australia pages for my collection, but I find a search of the PDF files,
which I have copied to my computer, is much faster than going through
page after page on paper. I'd like to see Scott release the catalogs on
DVD's, which would reduce the number of disks required for each volume
to one. That doesn't appear to be in the cards in the immediate future.

DVD catalogs may be an issue of supply and demand. Much like the
floppy disk has almost gone the path of the dodo bird, CDs have plenty
of potential left in the market.

Now, if Scott issued a DVD, it may be a wash price-wise if one were to
buy all of the CDs. Right now, one has to buy a CD that corresponds
to the book one wants. If they release a DVD, one would get
everything, when it may not be needed. Yes, they could fit the entire
series of catalogs on a DVD (and then they still have the double layer
DVDs if they go over) but not every PC has a DVD player / burner in
it.

A print run of DVDs may not be cost-effective for Scott at the present
time. That said, the DVD would cost probably about as much as all of
the CDS combined - or just slightly cheaper for impulse buyers. Why
lose the market value for our convenience?

Many of the newer PCs are sold with DVD drives, but oft times they are
still a choice for the prospective buyer to pick.

Tracy
Old July 18th 07, 07:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Edward A. Locke

[...]

It's child's play to buy the CDs and copy the PDFs to DVD for your personal use. Actually, as cheap
as hard drives are nowadays, you can just copy them there.

A few dollars spent on hardware saves a ton of aggravation.

|---------------------------------------------------|

| Edward A. Locke |

| huygens1962ATyahoo.com |

| http://www.spaceandastronomystamps.com/ |

|---------------------------------------------------|
Old July 18th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 00:15:05 -0600, Edward A. Locke
wrote:

[...]

Yes, it may be, but the % of philatelists that are true computer nerds
are few and far between. According to public "poll", most of the
current philatelists are older than God. This means that those
newfangled boxes with cables and lights and drive bays and flash
drives are a whole lot different than a horse and buggy.

Even this may be a chore for some of them. You wouldn't believe some
of the questions I've answered.

But, over time, this will change... hopefully.
Old July 18th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Brenda

Hi Richard,

Just a few things to consider if you're looking at purchasing the latest
editions of the Scott CDs:

I recently got the 2008 Vol1 CD and planned to print the Australia pages.
However, they have a new "security" feature that only allows you to use the
CD's with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I prefer Foxit PDF Reader as it's much
faster, but Foxit doesn't handle the new security plugin. They also added
a mandatory online registration, which gives you a key to unlock the CD.
This might make it difficult to pass on the CD to someone else later on.
And, the biggest disappointment for me - printing is disabled in the new
CD's. I sent a note to Amos Publishing and they confirmed that you are no
longer allowed to print pages from the Scott CD's.

On the plus side, I do agree with Bill - searches can be done much faster on
the PC than the printed version.

Best wishes,
Brenda

Old July 18th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:30:29 -0400, "Brenda"
wrote:

[...]

Wow - no printing of CD pages? That's definitely uncalled for. Do
they truly think that people will print up mass quantities of pages to
pass out as bootleg material?

Sheesh...
Old July 18th 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

In the past I have found that I could open PDF files in
Photoshop. Only one page at a time and it shrinks the
size a bit, so it's a real pain but it did work.

Maybe someone with both the CDs and Photoshop could try
that and see if it still works. Or if anyone has both
the CDs and PageMaker, see if you can print from that.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...