Wurlitzer 2410S Help

Old March 27th 14, 12:22 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Default Wurlitzer 2410S Help

Hi

I was hoping someone can help me out.

A friend of mine has a few nice jukeboxes that have since developed some problems.

The first machine in question, a Wurlitzer 2410S:

1. There was a "credit" button switch that was installed and no longer working. There is a slide switch inside the machine that this button is tied into. If I understand correctly, there is a coil that engages when the right amount of money is put in, allowing you to make a selection. Either way, the coil that allows you to make a selection is not engaging, so the selection buttons do not latch.

2. The selection light is not working. I checked the bulb and it is good.

3. The amplifier is not getting any power, the tubes are not glowing. This should turn on with the machine correct?.

4. It looks like the only thing getting power is the fluorescent lights.

This is what I did:

I went through the troubleshooting steps in the manual as much as I could.

Old fuses did not appear blown, I tested them with a continuity meter and they were ok. Changed all of the fuses anyway.

Cleaned and adjusted all of the selection switches.* They were filthy and looked like that haven't been cleaned in a long time.*

Cleaned and adjusted the switches inside the power distribution block and underneath the carousel.

Checked the switches for the turntable and arm mechanism.

I also checked motor for any open circuits and it looks good I think. Two terminal pins show open the other two do not.

The power distribution center box had the old filter caps replaced but whoever did it, did a shoddy job. Some of the replacement caps weren't even soldered.

He said that before the machine completely stopped, he had intermittent selection issues.

Can anyone provide some help? I'm not a jukebox expert by any means, though I work on some pinball machines so I can do the basic troubleshooting but this stuff is way over my head. He's been having a difficult time finding a tech so he asked me to look at his machines so I'd really like to help him out. Also, if anyone knows of a reliable tech in the New Jersey area please let me know.

Thanks,
Robert
Old March 28th 14, 12:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Robert, there are a number of things that can cause this problem.

If you tip a pin in the memory unit -does the machine then scan and play?

If so, then look at the contacts in the "Playrak" it's located at the left rear of the machine right near the coin mech. There is a set of contacts over a toothed wheel that "make" when credit is present. there are also two relays in there whose contacts must be reasonably clean and operate with adequate pressure.

Though unrelated to your problem, it is very important that the mechanism be properly lubricated with 20wt oil.

As you've probably noticed, the is board is pretty much dead. I suggest joining these:

http://www.phonoland.com/viewforum.p...78c3d404 5989

http://lists.netlojix.com/pipermail/jukebox-list/

These are all active and you'll get more involvement from people who know these old machines.

Rob/NYC
Old March 28th 14, 08:50 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Rob,

Thank you so much! I appreciate the suggestions and the links. I will check them all out.

BTW, when I tip one of the pins in the memory unit, nothing happens.

You don't make house calls do you?

Robert
Old April 19th 14, 04:25 PM
Budd Paashaus Budd Paashaus is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
[...]

I know this is going to sound ridiculously simple, but since the amp and other electro-mechanical systems seem to be getting "no power", and since your fuses all check out as good, might there be something as simple as a broken/loose wire coming from the main AC input? I have a Rockola juke box, so I might be attempting to compare apples and oranges....but mine has separate AC panels for the fluorescent lighting and the other systems. You might want to check these out. In fact, if you can, check something that doesn't work (like your amplifier) with a voltmeter at the first point that power enters the amplifier. If you're getting no current there, you won't get it anywhere else. Everything could be in perfect operating order, but it AC isn't getting in, it will still be dead. Let me know how you make out.
Old May 10th 14, 03:53 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Default Rockola 442

On 05/10/2014 4:41 AM, Budd Paashaus wrote:

Budd Paashaus;696407 Wrote:
As I have gotten no responses on this, perhaps I didn't make it clear in
my original post what I was trying to say. I would really like to come
up with a fix on this, so let me try again: The selection USUALLY (I'd
say 3 times out of 5) plays just fine when I press the appropriate
buttons on the panel. But sometimes when I select a record, the wheel
will simply cycle through both the odd and even numbers and return to
the null (off) position and then stop....or else the select solenoid
will just release and nothing happens, wheel doesn't turn, no record is
selected. This seems rather erratic in nature. All solenoids on the
selector wheel are good, both write-in and stop relays have been replace
with new, and the contacts on the side of the pin wheel have been
cleaned and burnished. What next? I also sprayed contact cleaner on
all the selector buttons just in case......didn't make any difference.

This is probably the last time I will post here, unless I get some kind
of response, even a hint. According to your records it has been viewed
but has not gotten so much as one response from anyone. I cannot
believe there is no one out there with expertise on a Rockola 442. As
you can see from past posts, this is an intermittent problem, and
doesn't appear every time I make a selection, making it especially
frustrating. It would seem I'm checking every contact and connection in
vain, while something very obvious is probably going on right under my
nose that I can't see. Please, can I get a little help here? Someone
just reply to this so I know it's getting posted. Thanks.

Do you have the service manual? Without the service manual it is
difficult to get these machines running...and there is a very good
troubleshooting guide included which covers how each section operates
and the circuits that are used to enable the function. You can order the
manual from Victory Glass.

Untill you have the manual and have tried following the troubleshooting
you are just wasting time by shotgun fixing methods.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Old May 15th 14, 05:55 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
John Robertson

Budd Paashaus;696407 Wrote:
[...]

Ignoring replies also doesn't do well. I suggested that you get the
service manual and follow the troubleshooting guide there - no response
from you.

So, I'll give you one more bit of free advice - try removing the spring
from the solenoid plunger that releases pressure on the microswitch that
registers that a selection has been made. I find the spring is
redundent, and - in fact - can interfere with easy movement of the lever
that operates the microswitch and thus a selection can't be made. This
is also caused by too short a write-in pulse so the solenoid that pulls
the lever doesn't get a clean pull - enough to allow the pin to shift
quickly enough.

It's been at least ten years since I last worked on a 442, but this
fixed that machine, no complaints since then by my customer. I've done
it on other Rockolas of similar vintage with success too. Don't have any
pictures, but the solenoid is on the outside top edge of the selection
memory disc as I recall.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com