Q: Newfoundland

Old December 31st 07, 11:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Default Q: Newfoundland

In reference to this particular DOX, was this just mailed to someone
employed in the London Office of the High Commissioner of
Newfoundland? I would think the HC of NFL would be in NFL and a
person in London would just have it mailed to their address.

http://cover.home.mindspring.com/stamp/nfound01.jpg

TL
Old January 1st 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin

In article
,
TL wrote:

In reference to this particular DOX, was this just mailed to someone
employed in the London Office of the High Commissioner of
Newfoundland? I would think the HC of NFL would be in NFL and a
person in London would just have it mailed to their address.

http://cover.home.mindspring.com/stamp/nfound01.jpg

TL

Hi TL

In The British Commonwealth, representatives of on Commonwealth country
to another Commonwealth country are named «High Commissioners». This is
because the monarch could not name an ambassador to itself. The High
Commissoners have the rank of ambassadors for any purpose of protocol
and they exert the same functions as ambassadors. So, the subscription
on your cover is exact as, in 1932, Newfoundland would have had a High
Commissioner in London. I could not find if Mr Murphy was the High
Commissioner, an employee of the High Commission or a Newfoundlander who
would pick up mail sent in care of the High Commission. Nice cover!

Richard

Old January 2nd 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Jan 1, 2:53 pm, Richard Thouin /invalid wrote:
In article
,

TL wrote:
[...]

Richard,
Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't find anything on Mr.
Murphy via Google either.
Tom
Old January 2nd 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 1, 4:53 pm, Richard Thouin /invalid wrote:
In article
,

TL wrote:
[...]

Richard is correct.

Here is a list of Canadian High Commissioners TO the Dominion of
Newfoundland
High Commissioner Start of Term End of Term
Charles Jost Burchell 1941 1944
James Macdonald 1944 1948
Paul Bridle 1948 1948
Charles Jost Burchell 1948 1949

Blair
Old January 2nd 08, 10:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

TL wrote:
[...]

Hi Tom + All:

There are many Murphy's in Newfoundland.

Mr JL Murphy must have been a politician or civil servant
of Newfoundland in that era. I found a reference that he
and Commander A MacDermott represented Newfoundland
at the 1933 Conference of the British Empire
Service League (a WWI veterans association) .

I'm not sure if it is the same JL Murphy who was born
c1861, married to Maria Anntoinette Murphy (b 1862)
and lived at Trepassey, NFLD in the 1880s, but
those dates would seem to fit.

Also, it would seem that if Murphy worked at the
Newfoundland High Commission, it would be a cost
saving to have him attend the conference (ie to save
travel costs during the Great Depression).

Note : The Canadian portion of the BESL and other
veterans' groups merged in 1925 to form the Canadian Legion.
In 1960, it became the Royal Canadian Legion.
http://legion.ca/asp/docs/about/his_e.asp
http://www.rpsc.org/Library/rememberance/legion.jpg

Blair
Old January 2nd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

TL wrote:
[...]

In 1960, it became the Royal Canadian Legion.http://legion.ca/asp/docs/about/his_...nce/legion.jpg

Blair

Thanks Blair,
Someone asked me if this was really on the flight out that day
because it is without cachet or back stamp arrival. These things I
don't know.
Tom
Old January 3rd 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

In 1960, it became the Royal Canadian Legion.http://legion.ca/asp/docs/about/his_...c.org/Library/...

Blair

Thanks Blair,
Someone asked me if this was really on the flight out that day
because it is without cachet or back stamp arrival. These things I
don't know.
Tom

I doubt very much that he was on the plane.
Flying was risky enough in those days and I suspect that these
mail planes had no passengers, beside the crew.

Blair

Old January 3rd 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

TL wrote:
[...]

Here is some more data.

There were about 750 covers like yours (to London, no back stamp)
Covers dated 20 May are much rarer.
The High Commission was an address of convenience for collectors.

Here is an article on the DO-X Newfoundland flight of 1932.
http://bnatopics.org/hhlibrary/newsl...88-05-w017.pdf

Regards
Blair
Old January 3rd 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 2, 10:44 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:01 pm, TL wrote:

TL wrote:
[...]

My error, this was a BIG plane and did carry passengers.
I doubt that this person was on it though.

Old January 3rd 08, 06:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Jan 2, 9:22 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:01 pm, TL wrote:

TL wrote:
[...]

Great information. The earlier question was whether the cover was on
the flight but you answered that quite well anyway.
Regards,
Tom