what else do you collect?

Old June 10th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

Default what else do you collect?

My conclusion is that your experiences and my experiences are not typical.

I also was at a bar one time, when a fellow who seemed to have psychological
problems
stabbed himself in the stomach about 5 times with a small pocketknife. I
called the ambulance, applied pressure, and helped load him onto a gurney
when the ambulance arrived. When the police arrived, at nearly the same
time, I was told treated poorly as if I did it, and I didn't

Actually I was screamed at with his hand on his gun. Not a big deal but it
seemed to me a lack of ability to asses a situation. I would like to say he
slobbered as he screamed at me but that might be a bit of an embellishment
;-)

Oh I am not a criminal but until about 30 year olds old there wasn't much I
wouldn't do or get involved in but most of the time I got in trouble was due
to naiveté or stupidity. That was a long time ago. Hope I learned
something. One or two more.

I was about 14 and walking to the movies, James Bond or something like
that. Someone had knocked a parking meter down and I picked it up and took
it to the station, a couple blocks from the movies and told my story but was
detained for some reason. I missed that movie but saw it the next night.

I have never found it rewarding to be upfront with city officers in any way
and I retain that opinion.

Last experience I had, not so long ago, was with my son, it was not a
pleasant situation but I have to say that the officers were the kindest,
friendliest, most helpful officers I have ever met. I was treated with
respect. Hope that is a sign times have changed.

Dale

..

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
. ..
Dale Hallmark wrote:

"PC" wrote in message

"John Ahnen" wrote in message
That's right.... Don't trust ANYBODY!

I'm not sure if that is sarcasm but the police are just as
vulnerable as anyone else at applying their prejudices,
insecurities, and "what have you" at other people in an unfair way.
It is just that the police happen to have more power.

Most police officers do their job well but there are bad cops, and
enough of them, that they give the police a bad name. I tend to
find highway patrol are easier to deal with than city cops,
generally speaking. I suspect the requirements for fitness and
intelligence are higher for highway patrols.

I must disagree, having a close relative who is a city police
officer. His training was extensive and is ongoing. I can't imagine
highway patrolmen coming into contact with the same types of
situations that he faces regularly. This kind of grim, concentrated
contact with the human condition is likely to harden most men and
women somewhat. Then again, it might be a matter of our own
intersections with differing levels of law enforcement and our
perceptions of same. I'd not want to be the highway patrolman who
comes on the scene of some of the more grisly accidents. I don't
really think there is a final answer (here I go, again, shades of
gray). James

My personal experience tends to mirror PC's response in a majority of
my situations.
I don't normally have interaction with police but in the past, I have
had city police offer to
hurt me badly, gave me tickets for bogus charges such as license
plate too low to the ground,
factory window darkening too dark, too bald tires, and failure to
yield at a yield sign with no on coming traffic, offers to race me on
the side in city streets, and ragged windshield wipers.
I saw one draw a gun on a 16 year old in front of my house and make
him lie down on the ground,
and handcuffed him, his crime, 45 mph in a residential zone. The
Mayor is a friend of mine and we talked, that is what he told me
anyway.
I personally have seen one beat a person with a stick for mouthing
when the person had their hands in their pockets. I have never been
subject to anything other than curtsey by Highway Patrol even when I
was stopped for armed bank robbery. Which I didn't do, I simply had
the same make model and color of vehicle and resembled the perp. Oh,
he had his gun out but didn't seem to be suffering from excessive
adrenalin :-) Thank God!
At academy, 9 pm, as I was walking down the hall, I experienced a
loaded 38 (last day) sliding down the hall and went between my legs
because a trainee as he ran thought he saw a burglar and drew his
weapon. He passed.
Dale

That's odd. You have led an interesting life. You have had a city police
officer "offer to hurt you badly", give you tickets for bogus charges (at
least 5 times) and offer to race you on city streets. You were stopped by
a Highway Patrolman who thought you were a bank robber. You saw a city
cop draw his gun on a 16 year old kid and another beat someone with his
night stick for no reason. Not to mention the trainee who fumbled his gun
down the hall.

I must be doing something wrong. I worked in law enforcement for nearly
30 years (including being a city cop in St Louis for two years) and I
haven't seen half that stuff!! :-) I have been driving for over 45 years
too, much of it in some of the most congested and dangerous cities in the
world (including NY, LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Tokyo, Seoul, Frankfurt, Manila,
etc), and I have never so much as been pulled over by a city cop (much
less received a ticket). I did get a speeding ticket from a California
Highway Patrolman (in an unmarked Mustang) one time. :-)

--
©¿©¬
~

Old June 10th 07, 09:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scott m.

I have never found it rewarding to be upfront with city officers in any
way and I retain that opinion.

Have to agree with you there. If I saw one of them crawling along the
roadside shrieking for help, I'd just keep on driving.

Old June 10th 07, 10:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article ,
says...

"tony cooper" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 22:15:19 -0400, "Sibirskmoneta"
wrote:

I have travelled in USSR, and then ex USSR and never really felt
uncomfortable being a foreigner there, even with an encounter with the KGB
once. In fact the USSR was the first foreign country I had ever travelled
in, but for me Russia is special place and I could care less about KGB and
frontier guards!

My daughter-in-law was standing in line at a McDonald's and there was
a delay because the customer at the counter was having trouble placing
his order because of a language problem. The lady standing behind my
daughter-in-law became impatient and turned to my daughter-in-law and
nastily said "Don't you wish these foreigners would go home?"

My daughter-in-law is from Russia. She's been here eight years,
speaks flawless English, and has a university degree in English.
However, she pretended that she didn't understand English and let
loose a string of Russian at the lady.

Khorosho rabota dyevushka!

I remember one time at work a couple of years ago we had someone going off
on foreigners, it just happened that the lady I was working with at that
moment was from Russia so we just deftly continued our conversation in
Russian to irritate the guy.

Small-minded, incompetent people tend to ASSume that everyone
else they meet (who isn't overtly different-appearing) is also
equally small-minded and incompetent.

It happens in many areas of life. They project their limited
life-experience, poor attitudes, and even skill-levels, onto
others.

Because Russian is a second language in my home, we tend to speak it a lot
when you want to discuss something but not share it with the crowd, say in a
supermarket. Amazing sometimes the reactions you get, and then to think
this is a country made up of immigrants descendants of whom act like their
families have always been here.

The entrance door was supposed to slam when grandpa got off the
boat.

And, anyway, the issue is about small-minded people being
self-centred, as an isolated induhvidual. They just view you as
different to them, personally. Without regard to your similarity
to their ancestors.

And, generally, people with obnoxious attitudes will look for ANY
excuse to lash out at someone else. If the target wasn't an
immigrant, then the loser/abuser would just find some other
characteristic to focus on.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old June 10th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

note.boy wrote:

Unless the impatient lady in question was a "Native American" she was
herself a foreigner, as in not a native of what's now the USA.. Billy

Here in Maine the term 'native Mainer' is a jealously guarded term. An
old joke relates the tale of a couple from Massachussetts who moved to
Maine and had a child here. They knew that they weren't 'native
Mainers', but asked if their child would be considered to be so,
seeing as how it was born here. An old timer, a true 'native Mainer'
responded "If your cat had kittens in the oven, that wouldn't make
them biscuits".
I object to many terms, such as African-American, Irish-American, etc,
any hyphenated American, unless certain criteria can be made. If you
are born in America, you are an American, regardless of heritage.
Being an American is something to be proud of. I do know an African-
American who is white! He was born in South Africa and his parents
moved to the US with him when he was a child. He became an American
citizen, and can, in my opinion, officially be a hyphenated African-
American, even though he is white. If he were to be born here, then he
would like so many others, be truly a 'Native American'

Old June 10th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"Jud" wrote in message
Here in Maine the term 'native Mainer' is a jealously guarded term. An
old joke relates the tale of a couple from Massachussetts who moved to
Maine and had a child here. They knew that they weren't 'native
Mainers', but asked if their child would be considered to be so,
seeing as how it was born here. An old timer, a true 'native Mainer'
responded "If your cat had kittens in the oven, that wouldn't make
them biscuits".

I remember that BS when I lived in Maryland, the same inbreds lived in the
same area for over 300 years and everybody else was not "old family". No
wonder the females there were so bung ugly.

Old June 10th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dale Hallmark

Oh and for the record, I have the greatest respect for law officers that are
professional
but when you grow up in small towns you rarely get professionals, they go to
the bigger cities.
So what the little towns get are what the bigger cities don't want and the
smaller the city the worse it seems.

Old June 10th 07, 10:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Dale Hallmark" dalehall at cableone.net wrote in message
Oh and for the record, I have the greatest respect for law officers that
are professional
but when you grow up in small towns you rarely get professionals, they go
to the bigger cities.
So what the little towns get are what the bigger cities don't want and the
smaller the city the worse it seems.

I think that's called the "Barney Fife" syndrome.

James
'now where did I put my bullet?'

Old June 11th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
gogu[_2_]

Ï "Sibirskmoneta" Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

"gogu" wrote in message news:f4c6h8

But seriously speaking I *think* London is the more dangerous capital
among
the west European capitals...

The city that is one of my favourites in Europe is Paris, but I do not
like it in the summer when you are hounded by urchins trying to get your
money. In that sense, I felt like I was always looking over my shoulder
there. Same in Amsterdam, you really do not have to be afraid of violent
crime like in American cities, but more petty crimes of wallet thefts,
pickpockets etc.

That was exactly my point!
I don't care of small crime, what I care is violent crime!
And in this regard the big American cities are far worst than any European
capital!
Practically, in Europe you are not afraid for your life but you are about
been pickpocketed.
But this is considered "normal" in places infested with "naive" tourists
from around the world, it's something we must learn to live with.

In Stockholm everything is a lot different, or at least when I was there,
definately a cleaner looking crowd hanging out there.

True!

Only place in Europe where I encountered a bit of real unease was in
Hamburg where I was talking to someone in a market and someone heard me
speaking in English and came up and yelled "Auslander raust den Hamburg"
sp? basically foreigner get out of Hamburg. Actually it appeared from his
appearance that he really was the one that wanted to get out of Hamburg,
but a probable drug induced mental deficiency rendered that impossible.

Neeh, he was probably some mentally deranged or a drug addict as you said,
I've never encountered such a behavior!

I have travelled in USSR, and then ex USSR and never really felt
uncomfortable being a foreigner there, even with an encounter with the KGB
once.

You had nothing to fear with KGB, especially if you had a foreign passport
in your pocket!
I used to make fun of them, I knew they couldn't do me a thing;-)

In fact the USSR was the first foreign country I had ever travelled in,
but for me Russia is special place and I could care less about KGB and
frontier guards!

Sure, they were naive and I was always happy to drive them crazy making
suspicious movements, trying to hide something I didn't have, you should see
them searching with passion and boy, what a delusion in their eyes when they
were realizing that I hadn't anything illegal;-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Old June 11th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

"gogu" wrote in message

And then there was my trip in Ukraine in Sept 2001. Where we were it was
kind of a bit well known that we were Americans there, and people would come
up to us and talk to us on the street. After 9/11 we felt a bit antsy about
being overseas and worrying about being in Ukraine etc. But not to worry,
we had people coming around and offering to protect us. At that point in
time, I felt like we were probably in the safest place in the world. Dyakyu
Ukraina, mi lyublaya tvoya strana i nasha novim strana!