Draped Bust Large Cent with fraction 2/100?

Old June 5th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Draped Bust Large Cent with fraction 2/100?

Unknown date Draped Bust large cent in very poor condition. In looking
at this auction, I was drawn to the photograph of the reverse. Instead
of having 1/100 or similar fraction, this coin appears to say 2/100. I
can't guarantee the lower number, but the 2 is one of the few distinct
features this coin has. Has anyone heard of a Draped Bust large cent
including a 2 in the fraction?

Here is the auction site for those interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...122187482&rd=1

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old June 5th 07, 10:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
ps.com...
Unknown date Draped Bust large cent in very poor condition. In looking
at this auction, I was drawn to the photograph of the reverse. Instead
of having 1/100 or similar fraction, this coin appears to say 2/100. I
can't guarantee the lower number, but the 2 is one of the few distinct
features this coin has. Has anyone heard of a Draped Bust large cent
including a 2 in the fraction?

Here is the auction site for those interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...122187482&rd=1

Unless this is the discovery coin of a new Sheldon variety, your eyes are
playing tricks on you. There are no large cents with a 2 as the numerator.
It is likely that the corrosion has distorted things enough to produce the
effect you note.

James

Old June 5th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Terry

wrote in message
ps.com...
Unknown date Draped Bust large cent in very poor condition. In looking
at this auction, I was drawn to the photograph of the reverse. Instead
of having 1/100 or similar fraction, this coin appears to say 2/100. I
can't guarantee the lower number, but the 2 is one of the few distinct
features this coin has. Has anyone heard of a Draped Bust large cent
including a 2 in the fraction?

Here is the auction site for those interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...122187482&rd=1

Unless this is the discovery coin of a new Sheldon variety, your eyes are
playing tricks on you. There are no large cents with a 2 as the
numerator. It is likely that the corrosion has distorted things enough to
produce the effect you note.

James

Well there were 1/000 remember.

TerryS

Old June 5th 07, 11:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Terry" wrote in message
et...

wrote in message
ps.com...
Unknown date Draped Bust large cent in very poor condition. In looking
at this auction, I was drawn to the photograph of the reverse. Instead
of having 1/100 or similar fraction, this coin appears to say 2/100. I
can't guarantee the lower number, but the 2 is one of the few distinct
features this coin has. Has anyone heard of a Draped Bust large cent
including a 2 in the fraction?

Here is the auction site for those interested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...122187482&rd=1

Unless this is the discovery coin of a new Sheldon variety, your eyes are
playing tricks on you. There are no large cents with a 2 as the
numerator. It is likely that the corrosion has distorted things enough to
produce the effect you note.

James

Well there were 1/000 remember.

And 1 above 100 over 000. But that was not the question.

James

Old June 6th 07, 06:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

ps.com...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=ADME%3AL%3AR...

Unless this is the discovery coin of a new Sheldon variety, your eyes are
playing tricks on you. There are no large cents with a 2 as the numerator.
It is likely that the corrosion has distorted things enough to produce the
effect you note.

James

Thanks, James. I was pretty sure there were no known varieties with a
2/xxx fraction, but it's still good to check with those who have been
collecting longer than I.

There is certainly a lot of distortion and damage to the coin in
question. The holes/punches appear to have attempted to convert this
change into a button, perhaps. Still, the one feature I am certain of
is the 2, where the fraction should be.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old June 6th 07, 11:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
s.com...
On Jun 5, 2:57 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

The coin with the hole might have at one time been fastened to the main beam
of a barn with a square nail. Early Americans often did this to bring good
luck.

Maybe when you get the coin you could post a pic showing this detail?

James

Old June 7th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jun 6, 3:41 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote in message

s.com...

On Jun 5, 2:57 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I will do so as soon as it arrives, James. I just received word that
my payment was received.

The hole does have 2 sharp angles in it, which would suggest square
nail usage. Oddly, I don't see four angles on it though. Just 1 clear
angle. There also appears to be 2 smaller holes (at least) near the
central hole, but these are much smaller. There could even be more.

But none of the holes are close to the fraction that I can see.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old June 12th 07, 06:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jun 6, 10:00 pm, wrote:
On Jun 6, 3:41 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jun 5, 2:57 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Finally got the coin. I have posted close-ups at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/548897089iecZRy

I can still see 2/100. But I can also see 1/100 when the coin is held
a different way. Oddly, there are no complete holes in the coin. The
deep pits, caused by something, have been filled in with a whitish
substance. What looked like a square nail hole in the first photos,
looks more like it was caused by a Phillip's head screwdriver now. I
can barely make out the bottom of the last number in the date: either
an 8 or 9. Based on that, this would be either a 1798 or 1799 large
cent.

Surface of both coin sides is "bubbled", perhaps by contact with
heated acid. Several deep scratches: OB: descending through the B of
LIBERTY, rising through where the 1 would be in the date, near
LIBERTY's bust, a deep pit at LIBERTY's ear, and 3 other pits near the
center of the coin. Possible cud at the rim near Liberty's nose; REV:
1 longish die break or scratch starting from the rim to the left of
100, just touching the line separating the 2 and 100, through the
center of the 2, and then veering right to near the bottom of the
right-hand stem. No other noticeable scratches, but badly corroded.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old June 12th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jun 12, 1:10?am, wrote:
On Jun 6, 10:00 pm, wrote:

On Jun 6, 3:41 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jun 5, 2:57 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Daniel B. Wheeler- Hide quoted text -

I had to download your picture and adjust the brightness and contrast
to see it. What struck me as really odd isn't that it does look
somewhat like "2 / 100," but also looks like a "1 over 2 / 100" as
well.

With the corrosion, you could probably read anything you like into
it. Using my imagination, I see "1 over 2 / 199."

Jerry
Where's Waldo? :-)

Old June 12th 07, 10:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 6, 10:00 pm, wrote:
On Jun 6, 3:41 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jun 5, 2:57 am, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I can see how one might conjure up a "2" but it's a product of the corrosion
and no more. The "1" in the numerator is quite clear. Sorry to dash your
hopes, but it is not a 1799 either, as the 1 in the numerator is centered
over the first 0 of the denominator, whereas all three 1799 reverses have it
slightly to the right of center. We see many examples just like this at
shows, housed in stapled 2x2s labelled "1799?"

James