1955 Doubled Die Cent?

Old May 14th 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default 1955 Doubled Die Cent?

Whereas the 1955 DD cent was struck from a die that had been hubbed twice,
out of register, resulting in the significant offset of IGWT, LIBERTY, and
the date, why isn't the bust of Lincoln likewise doubled? What am I missing
here? Please, somebody, 'splain.

Mr. Jaggers
'should know this, but I don't'

Old May 14th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Mr J,

The way the die cutting device works, doubling increases as the cutting
blade moves out radially from the center, so doubling close to center
is often barely diecernable if at all, but usually most pronounced near
the rims, as it is on the 1955 DDO.

Ira

Old May 14th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Ira" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mr J,

The way the die cutting device works, doubling increases as the cutting
blade moves out radially from the center, so doubling close to center
is often barely diecernable if at all, but usually most pronounced near
the rims, as it is on the 1955 DDO.

Ira

Then why does the top of Lincoln's head, just in the near shadow of IGWT,
not show doubling, while the Y in LIBERTY and the 1 in the date, much closer
to the center, show it?

Jag

Old May 14th 06, 11:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Sun, 14 May 2006 14:38:49 -0500, Mr. Jaggers lugburzman wrote:
Whereas the 1955 DD cent was struck from a die that had been hubbed twice,
out of register, resulting in the significant offset of IGWT, LIBERTY, and
the date, why isn't the bust of Lincoln likewise doubled? What am I missing
here? Please, somebody, 'splain.

Pretty sure that it is, it's just that it's a radius thing - 2 degrees
of rotation at the edges (or whatever the '55 DD's rotation is) is very
noticable on sharp features like letters and numbers. That same
rotation at a smaller distance from the middle, especially on a soft
design feature like Lincoln's bust, will be there but nowhere near as
visible. I bet his eye shows the doubling to some extent? Also the VDB
on the shoulder?

I don't have a '55 DD to check...

Dave Hinz
Old May 15th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Jaggers writes:

Then why does the top of Lincoln's head, just in the near shadow of
IGWT,
not show doubling, while the Y in LIBERTY and the 1 in the date, much
closer
to the center, show it?

The heat actually is doubled, but since the features are indistict,
unlike the lettering and numberls, it just shows a s a very softly
detailed portrait, far softer, for example, than a non-doubled 1955.

Ira

Old May 15th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Ira" wrote in message
ups.com...
Jaggers writes:

Then why does the top of Lincoln's head, just in the near shadow of
IGWT,
not show doubling, while the Y in LIBERTY and the 1 in the date, much
closer
to the center, show it?

The heat actually is doubled, but since the features are indistict,
unlike the lettering and numberls, it just shows a s a very softly
detailed portrait, far softer, for example, than a non-doubled 1955.

Ira

As I write, I hold in my hand a PCGS AU-58 example of the coin in question,
procured a few years ago from one of eBay's finest sellers, and spending a
few days here at home with me. I've been all over the portrait with a 10X
and I think I see a doubled lower lip, eyelid, forelock, part of the bowtie,
and a couple of lines in the coat. Am I imagining all this, or is this all
for real?

Jag

Old May 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I pulled out my ANACS AU55 1955DD cent to look
for the VDB. I can't even see the letters. Since the letters are incused,
perhaps they got flattened during the second
hubbing.

Old May 16th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Looking on Ebay, they now have come out with something called the "poor
man's double die", which is apparantly a 1955 double die cent which
isn't as distinct as a "true" double die.

Not worth nearly as much as a true DD.

Old May 16th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 15 May 2006 18:53:22 -0700, "The Space Boss"
wrote:

Looking on Ebay, they now have come out with something called the "poor
man's double die", which is apparantly a 1955 double die cent which
isn't as distinct as a "true" double die.

Not worth nearly as much as a true DD.

Taint nothin' new. I can remember hearing about them at least 25
years ago. What's new, of course, is that special eBay hype ("The
'other' double die retails for $24 billion in this condition!!!!!")

My understanding of the cause is abrasion on the die that makes the
last "5" appear doubled

take care,
Scott