FA: Set of 10 Thornton W. Burgess Cubby Bear Books (1927)

Old May 15th 04, 04:42 PM
Jerry

Default FA: Set of 10 Thornton W. Burgess Cubby Bear Books (1927)

Ebay auction at:

This is the complete set of ten vintage children's adventure books
written by Thornton W. Burgess and beautifully illustrated by Nina R.
Jordan. The copyright is 1927 and the illustration copyright is 1929
by Whitman Publishing Co.

The individual titles a

A Frightened Baby
Farmer Brown's Boy Becomes Curious
What Farmer Brown's Boy Did
Cubby Bear Has His a Mind of His Own
An Imp of Mischief
Cubby in Mother Brown's Pantry
A Woe-Begone Little Bear
Milk and Honey
Cubby Gets a Bath
Cubby Finds an Open Door

I've read that the stories in this series first appeared in the
Burgess Bedtime Story column in 1927 before being published in book
form. I've also read that they were originally intended as part of a
calendar. Each book has a beautiful illustration on every page and,
although the stories are over 70 years old, they still read
beautifully today.

This set of books was given to my mother in 1930 and she's owned them
ever since.

These books are listed around the internet at $30-$200 per book. I've
provided links to several such listings in the "Related Links" section
of the ebay ad.

NOTE: Listings for books of this set often mis-state that they contain
the author's autograph. The signed, hand-written inscription on the
inside of the front cover of each book is actually a facsimile, not an
actual autograph. The books in this set that I'm selling contain this
inscription (everyone's do).

Physical description: The hard cover books measure 5 1/2" x 4 5/8". As
you can see from the images in my ebay ad, the book covers are in very
good condition with only minor edge wear. The dust jackets (each book
still has one) show considerable wear. While none are ripped
completely through, they do have some tears. Scans of the books with
the jackets can be viewed at the link provided in my ebay ad. In many
of the books the stapled text has detached from the cover but they
(the text sections) are all complete, intact and with no rips or
tears. Other than the above mentioned dust jackets, there are no tears
whatsoever. There's no tape or other repairs in any of the books. The
text is in very good condition, clean and complete. All illustrations
are present and bright.

Each book has my mother's name and the year 1930 written at the top of
a front page (image available in the ebay ad). There is no other
writing or marks in any of the books

--
jerry