Wrong War and Wrong counrty

Old October 17th 05, 11:53 PM
TheDimeMan

Default Wrong War and Wrong counrty

Emergency money note of the municipality Moosch (Oberelsass) of 1 Mark
without date signed by Burgermeister Hoffmann

The American Numismatic society database has the following info
0000.999.54585: Dept.: MO Obj.Type: P Reference: Keller., Dt. Notgeld
von 1914, J-Z, p. 132-133.
Region: Germany Locality: Moosch Mint:
Material: P Denom.: 1 Mark
Category: Notgeld Person: Dynasty: Issuer: Moosch Gemeinde
ObvLegd: Black print on white paper, one stamp of local authority (purple
ink), one handwritten signature of mayor.
Color: White. OtherInfo.: 1914

The German Web site URL below says the note as pictued is 1914 and WWI
http://translate.google.com/translat...l%3Den%26lr%3D

I have a 1 Mark note from the same series as ANS and the10 Mark on the Web
Site.

BUT THERE IS A PROBLEM - How I received two copies of this note.

About 40 years ago, when I first became interested in numismatics, I joined
my local coin club. One meeting with my wife also attending, a jewish
member got up and told a story. He said be had been in a German WW2
concentration camp. When the Americans came at the end of the war, as he
was rescued, he went in the office and took a stack (50-100) of 1 Mark
notes. He said they used this paper money at the camp. He gave each of us
one of these notes.

When you look at the DE MOOSCH purple stamp you can see that the center
shows a French Liberty like our Stature of Liberty.

The internet tells me Moosch is in France in the Alsace area. Another site
quotes
" Struthof, the only KZ established in France, it has the character of a
death camp then that of a concentration camp ".

Le Struthof, internationally it seem better know under the name Natzwiller.
Natzwiller was used as a camp for amoung others French Resistance Fighters.

Wrong War and wrong country? Is this note WWI 1914 Germany Emergancy Money
or is it WWII 1944-5 Concentration Camp money?

Roger deWardt Lane, Hollywood, Florida

Old October 18th 05, 09:45 AM
Christian Feldhaus

TheDimeMan wrote:

Wrong War and wrong country? Is this note WWI 1914 Germany Emergancy Money
or is it WWII 1944-5 Concentration Camp money?

The former. Moosch is in Haut-Rhin (near Mulhouse), Alsace. Between 1871
and 1918 that area was German, then it became French - which may explain
why a German 1914 notgeld note has a French language stamp. Cannot
really recognize the drawing on that stamp, just bits of the text.

The Struthof concentration camp was in Bas-Rhin, a different part of
Alsace (near Strasbourg). Hard to imagine that such an old notgeld note
from Moosch would still or again be in use 30 years later in a camp that
is not exactly close. Now "internal" money was indeed used in various
(all?) concentration camps; see the "Notausgaben und Lagergeld des
Zweiten Weltkriegs" link. But this one? I don't think so ...

Christian
Old October 18th 05, 03:31 PM
TheDimeMan

Christian Feldhaus Please look at the group

alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic

I posted a picture of a French post card with the same postal cancellation
for Moosch has on the 1 Mark notes, etc.

Looks like the Germans used the post office cancellation stamp on this
money.

Still do not understand the story told at our meeting by the former prisoner
at the Concentration Camp that was using Moosch 1 Mark money and was able to
get large quantity when he was released in 1944-45

Roger deWardt Lane

Old October 18th 05, 08:41 PM
Christian Feldhaus

TheDimeMan wrote:

Please look at the group

alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic

Sorry, I don't get that group here ...

Christian
Old October 19th 05, 06:39 PM
A.E. Gelat

Christian, you will find that in the newsgroup listings that you can
subscribe to. I did not find it the other day on that list, so I ran Reset
List and got it back, then subscribed. Be patient, the list has over
120,000 groups, and it took about ten minutes to download.

Tony

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
d...

Old October 20th 05, 02:49 AM
Dik T. Winter

TheDimeMan wrote:

Please look at the group
alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic

Sorry, I don't get that group here ...

Christian, you will find that in the newsgroup listings that you can
subscribe to.

You are confused. Christian probably uses an ISP that does not carry
that group. I am quite certain that the news server where I read (my
employer) does not carry that group (as it does not carry any alt
group).
Old October 20th 05, 07:00 AM
Christian Feldhaus

A.E. Gelat wrote:

Christian, you will find that in the newsgroup listings that you can
subscribe to. I did not find it the other day on that list, so I ran Reset
List and got it back, then subscribed. Be patient, the list has over
120,000 groups, and it took about ten minutes to download.

Hm, I am pretty darn sure that my ISP does not carry any groups with
binaries ;-) But I got the picture anyway (thanks, DimeMan). More later.

Christian
Old October 28th 05, 11:11 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Christian Feldhaus wrote:

Hm, I am pretty darn sure that my ISP does not carry any groups with
binaries ;-) But I got the picture anyway (thanks, DimeMan). More later.

Well, all I could find out about this note is that it has a lot to do
with WW1, but I do not see any connection to WW2 and nazi concentration
camps. Here is an (ended) auction of a post card which has the same
postal and city stamps as your note:

http://cgi.ebay.ch/FRANCE-WWI-1916-o...H_W0QQitemZ562
6214155QQcategoryZ3514QQcmdZViewItem
(or)
http://tinylink.com/?uXiF4RdbTU

So at that time Moosch was "de iure" still German but "de facto" already
French, hence the language mix on your notgeld. Now why anybody would
come across this many years later and at a different place, I still have
no idea, sorry.

Christian