Abuse of email address

Old January 10th 04, 04:43 PM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

Mette wrote:

3) The "pattern" of spam has been so atypical for normal
spamming, that it attracts attention. For reasons that I shall
not disclose here, it has obviously come from (an) ill-meaning
individual(s).

I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion, but if you're convinced
that someone bad is targetting you I guess I'm not going to change your
mind. I suspect that one of your correspondants (with your private
address) may have the Swen virus, in which case the best you can do, if
you can figure out who it is, is ask them to scan for virii on their
computer and clean it out; but the damage is already done.

I use Netscape/Mozilla for my email and internet news, and I use the
filters it provides. The filters zap about 80% of the spam that makes it
past the Block List I use on my email server.

And these days it doesn't take but a couple hours after posting with a
new throw-away email address before I start getting spam on that
address. I don't even bother making the throw-away addresses valid any
more, even for a short while---

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
remove usenetxx to reply

Old January 10th 04, 05:57 PM
Tom Loepp

Mette,
"It ain't me, babe. It ain't me your looking for, babe..."
(that's from a song) but in all seriousness, I'm igorant of the
know-how of such dastardly deeds. I checked my address book and
I've been very lax in adding addresses to it but I do have
personal emails from you so I become a suspect in my own mind. I
do keep all emails and very seldom cull through them to delete
unwanted information. I run a Mac but probably am not immune to
mole-type entities that may grab stuff off of my computer. I
notice that in my spamblocker, I receive spam from unusual but
familiar names as I know many people from many countries. I know
an Ake, Kai, Lucien, Deirdre, etc. and receive spam with these
names on them. I've even noticed similarities in posts that I've
made to the newsgroup and subject titles of spam. I receive spam
with similar subjects to sites that I've visited which makes me
think that cookies do more than go with milk. When I buy real
estate, I receive mortgage spam. When I buy electronics, I
receive spam about the exact same products. Everytime I buy
printer ink I get printer ink spam. So there is much evil afoot
out there ready and able to rip asunder fragile friendships.
Humans relegate themselves to partnership with supremacy but are
more akin to the lowly virus, sad as it is (viruses are quite
supreme, really). I'm really going to miss something, not seeing
the future of this fine planet.
Yours in etherwax,
Tom

Mette wrote:

It appears that some jerk is abusing my very private email
address, that is not published anywhere on the Internet,
neither on websites nor in newsgroups, nor eBay, nor PayPal,
nor elsewhere. Thus, spam is now constantly generating on
that address!

This can only mean that I myself have given my address
to someone whom I considered a friend, but who seems
to have betrayed my confidence.

Whoever you are, be notified now that the address in
question is closed, and that I have -- again -- another
private address, strictly reserved for private correspondence.

So far anyone can reach me at my Yahoo-address
heindorffstamps at yahoo dot dk
--
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
Return address invalid -- contact me at

-- Tom Loepp

Email:
Website:
http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old January 10th 04, 06:33 PM
Victor Manta

"Mette" wrote in message
Victor Manta wrote in message
"Mette" wrote in message
Alan wrote in message

- snip -

Why are you even posting this information here in the first place ?.

To try and locate the offender(s) to see if my suspicion
can bear.

And how is it supposed to work???

Why would I tell that here?
If you want to take similar action against those
who might spam you, you have to do it your own
way, not mine.

I'm not asking for suggestions, just trying to explain that something in the
whole thing seems somehow not practical to me.
--
Victor Manta

Old January 10th 04, 07:03 PM
Tony Brown

Tom, your experience of, say, buying printer ink then getting printer ink
spam tells me you have "spyware" in your computer. For an explanation about
spyware, and to get a free tool to find and remove it from your computer, go
to http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Old January 10th 04, 08:15 PM
Tom Loepp

Tony Brown wrote:

Tom, your experience of, say, buying printer ink then getting printer ink
spam tells me you have "spyware" in your computer. For an explanation about
spyware, and to get a free tool to find and remove it from your computer, go
to http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Thanks Tony, I looked through the website and it seems to be for PC's. I've
contacted a Mac expert and will get the low-down. My before mentioned
experiences with spam may be coincidence and/or vendors sharing info.
Cheers,
-- Tom Loepp

Email: loeppATmindspringDOTcom
Website: http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old January 10th 04, 08:33 PM
Mette

Tom,
I have just answered your email in private but it bounced
back. Anyhow, I know it's not you Buddy :-)
Mette

Old January 11th 04, 02:30 AM
Dakota

Mette:

I'd like to think that I'm not the culprit - but you've put many of us
on the defensive.

Could we (individually) be the guilty party?

Your post is a sort of "shotgun" offense/defense at all of us that may
have shared private posts with you in the past.

You only state that you 'think' you know who the guilty party is (if
there is indeed a guilty party).

But your post seems to indicate nobody and yet everybody. Guilt by
association is a heavy load to bear.

I know how to find your private e-mail address - I think - but be
assured that I'm going to be very hesitant in the future to make any
sort of contact with you. And I think that many here will feel the
same!

Dakota
Old January 11th 04, 03:21 AM
Grandpa

Hi Mette, wasn't me as I've only used it to communicate with you for the
stamps I sent you a couple months ago, thats it.

Old January 11th 04, 03:24 AM
Grandpa

Didier Cuidet wrote:

snip

I think that someone knowing your address has his computer infected by a
worm or a virus that copied his address book, and use random names in it
to send copies of it all around the world.

Thats why I use Netscape. Its not foolproof but the hackers LOVE
Micro$oft products and rarely fiddle with NS, or Mozilla if you prefer.

Old January 11th 04, 08:21 AM
Victor Manta

"Dakota" wrote in message
om...
Mette:

I'd like to think that I'm not the culprit - but you've put many of us
on the defensive.

Could we (individually) be the guilty party?

Your post is a sort of "shotgun" offense/defense at all of us that may
have shared private posts with you in the past.

You only state that you 'think' you know who the guilty party is (if
there is indeed a guilty party).

But your post seems to indicate nobody and yet everybody. Guilt by
association is a heavy load to bear.

I know how to find your private e-mail address - I think - but be
assured that I'm going to be very hesitant in the future to make any
sort of contact with you. And I think that many here will feel the
same!

Dakota

Dakota,

From different postings it is clear to me that several participants feel the
same like you, and some even try to justify one's self.

I have also tried, as politely as I could, to point toward some problems,
but I've got rather puzzling answers.

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/
Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply