Where did all the collectors go?

Old November 26th 03, 07:45 PM
Tom Loepp

Tracy Barber wrote:

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 06:01:29 GMT, Tom Loepp
wrote:

The club here is friendly beyond belief. The meeting takes place at the
library and the dates and time are put up on an activities announcement
board. The folks remind me of some here in the group.

Harumph! :^P Come on, who resembles that?

A kid came to a
meeting and left with donated catalogues and I think an album and tongs.

Very good!

You aren't the only one here who puts on a nice guy hat once in awhile. I
recently helped in raising $3000 for Make-A-Wish. I did portraits of 2
children who were getting a wish, the portraits went to the families, and the
portraits were auctioned, the highest bidder donating their winning bid
amount to M-A-W. I received a piece of paper from them giving a dollar amount
to my donation but by law the only money I can deduct from taxes is the
materials, an amount too small to worry about AND I deduct all material
expenses annually anyway. So the only reward is happiness. I spoke with the
M-A-W folks about having stamp collections in their silent auction. They had
never had any but it would be a good way to do many things at once,
potentially inspire stamp collecting, help in financing a sick or dying
child's wish, and get rid of these darned stamps before I take the dirt nap.

Someone usually brings some thing of interest to show, slides, albums.
Kiloware is passed around to anyone who wants to take some home to look
through. I bought a nearly complete Bahamas collection (2 stamps missing
and 1 misidentified) and sold a bunch of mint U.S. souvenir sheets. Some
continue on after at a restaurant to discuss miniature trains. Seems like
it could meet more than once a month.

Sounds like a good club.

Tracy Barber

It's too nice, we need some prejudice and snobby cliques to mirror the real
world. This fantasy land is right out of the Twilight Zone episode "Next
Stop, Willoughby"

--
Tom Loepp
Email:

Old November 26th 03, 07:52 PM
Tom Loepp

Bob Ingraham wrote:

It probably could meet more than once a month, which to my mind is hardly
enough to keep up the momentum. My club meets weekly September through June,
and has a summer auction in July. At the last AGM, there was a complaint
from one "old grouch" member that we shouldn't have so many meetings, but it
was quickly pointed out to him that there was no requirement to attend every
meeting. And not everyone does attend every meeting. There are a dozen or
members who never miss a meeting, and others who attend most meetings. Of
our newest four or five members, only one is "old" -- the rest are in their
late 20s or 30s.

There's a lot of variety to the meetings, and best of all there are a lot of
stamps available, both from members and from the circuit books sent by the
Royal Philatelic Society of Canada once a month.

Bob

Your crowd is young. I am probably the youngest in mine at 49. Don't know if
the library would have a problem with more meetings or what. The club also
knocks off for the summer. They may be doing good at their present rate,
momentum isn't a noun used around these parts.

Old November 26th 03, 10:04 PM
Tracy Barber

Never said I was! :^)

I recently helped in raising $3000 for Make-A-Wish. I did portraits of 2
children who were getting a wish, the portraits went to the families, and the
portraits were auctioned, the highest bidder donating their winning bid
amount to M-A-W. I received a piece of paper from them giving a dollar amount
to my donation but by law the only money I can deduct from taxes is the
materials, an amount too small to worry about AND I deduct all material
expenses annually anyway. So the only reward is happiness. I spoke with the
M-A-W folks about having stamp collections in their silent auction. They had
never had any but it would be a good way to do many things at once,
potentially inspire stamp collecting, help in financing a sick or dying
child's wish, and get rid of these darned stamps before I take the dirt nap.

hehehe... I hear ya. I only talk about my stamp escapades here,
because I have a feeling that "some folks" don't care to hear about
other "nice guy" stuff I've done and will probably do.

I've devoted many, many hours for radiothons and telethons in the
past, with my PC and so forth. I can't even think of the money racked
up (people calling in for me and all that) or how much I saved them
for doing the collating and all that. I was the guy who did the
donation tallies periodically and kept track of where they came from,
amounts, etc. Couldn't write off any of it and probably wouldn't
anyway. You made me smile to think of those good times!

There are plenty of other volunteer things, but let's keep it to
stamps.

This is nice that you helped out. More people doing it cannot hurt.

Someone usually brings some thing of interest to show, slides, albums.
Kiloware is passed around to anyone who wants to take some home to look
through. I bought a nearly complete Bahamas collection (2 stamps missing
and 1 misidentified) and sold a bunch of mint U.S. souvenir sheets. Some
continue on after at a restaurant to discuss miniature trains. Seems like
it could meet more than once a month.

Sounds like a good club.

Tracy Barber

It's too nice, we need some prejudice and snobby cliques to mirror the real
world. This fantasy land is right out of the Twilight Zone episode "Next
Stop, Willoughby"

hehehehehehehehe! Willoughby! Willoughby! Next stop, Willoughby! I
know exactly what you mean.

Yup. More people donating their time would make the world a nicer
place...

Tracy Barber
Old November 26th 03, 11:36 PM
Rodney

Why not encourage the discipline, by melding the two?
A broadsheet can be an integral part of the work,
but divorced from it.
The Judgement process need not suffer handicap from it's present focus,
and those of the curious nature, have something to savour and appreciate
not the least, a line to the author for those of similar tastes.

Old November 27th 03, 09:50 PM
Albumen

I'm told in the good old days the exhibitors were required to stand in front
of their exhibits for a half-hour or so every day of the show. Wouldn't that
be fun.? :-)

-a

Old November 27th 03, 10:33 PM
Rodney

| I'm told in the good old days the exhibitors were required to stand in front
| of their exhibits for a half-hour or so every day of the show. Wouldn't that
| be fun.? :-)

Ah! the good old days.....now there's an oxymoron for someone to chew on.
I recently had happenstance to view some stamped postcards
China circa 1913 civil war?
Forget the pillory, these poor fellows (looters) were locked
in bamboo cages in the village square, whilst people watched them
starve to death.
Hmmmm, today........... these days are fine with me.

Old November 28th 03, 06:18 PM
ron walenciak

Were I an exhibitor, I think I would hang around my exhibit for a part of
each day of the show... just to see what people think, and to talk to them
about my collection. I've met a few people like that at the AFDCS Americover
show.

Ron

Old November 29th 03, 11:49 PM
TC

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 05:33:14 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

Ah! the good old days.....now there's an oxymoron for someone to chew on.
I recently had happenstance to view some stamped postcards
China circa 1913 civil war?
Forget the pillory, these poor fellows (looters) were locked
in bamboo cages in the village square, whilst people watched them
starve to death.
Hmmmm, today........... these days are fine with me.

Rodney:

Treatment now reserved for forgers and
counterfeiters of the stamps of SNA. 3B*O

Blair