America's 10 least wanted coins

Old June 12th 05, 04:59 PM
stonej

Default America's 10 least wanted coins

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

Old June 12th 05, 06:12 PM
Alan Williams

stonej wrote:

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

1958-D Lincoln Cents: Despite being the last of 'wheat' reverses, the
1958-D is suffering serious reverses in the marketplace. We advise that
you unload now, even through Coinstar as no future gains are on the
horizon.

1822 Peace Dollars: A recent discovery of a horde of these from Guanxi
Province has undercut the market. By year's end we expect a roll to
sell for the January price of a single example.

Colorized North Carolina Quarters: A surplus of these has escaped a TV
studio and threatens the future of the issue. The rare 'reversed
dayglow' variety will not escape the downward price pull.

Alan
'don't say I never gave you anything'
Old June 12th 05, 06:30 PM
Anita

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 13:12:01 -0400, Alan Williams
1822 Peace Dollars: A recent discovery of a horde of these from Guanxi
Province has undercut the market. By year's end we expect a roll to
sell for the January price of a single example.

I would buy as many of these as I could :-) Of course, they would turn
out to be altered or counterfeit for sure.

I wonder who would colorize the NC quarter. I think this is the worst
state quarter there is.

Anita
Old June 12th 05, 07:16 PM
Padraic Brown

On 12 Jun 2005 08:59:54 -0700, "stonej"
wrote:

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

Can we get the Churchill crown on the list?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old June 12th 05, 07:48 PM
Brian Blackwell

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

Mine when I try to sell them.

Old June 12th 05, 10:18 PM
Tony Clayton

wrote:

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

Can we get the Churchill crown on the list?

A very strong candidate. Most antique shops have a number
that they cannot sell for love nor money!

Followed closely by the Charles & Diana Wedding Crown

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old June 13th 05, 09:50 AM
Papito

On 12-Jun-2005, "stonej" wrote:

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

1. 1979 SBA dollars.
No one wanted them when they were new and even now no one wants them. (But
at least they're not still taking up space in government vaults like those
unwanted morgan dollars did for so many decades.)

2. 1964 Jefferson Nickels.
Even if it's just a nickel, there is a certain excitement in finding one
that looks old in pocket change, followed by contempt and disgust upon
discovering that it is, in fact, just a 1964.

3. Zinc cents.
These are an embarrasment to the nation and to every american individually.
The mint has removed any artistic merrit the original Lincoln cent had,
they feel cheap, they in fact are worthless, and they self destruct upon
contact with anything resembling a natural environment. Ironically enough,
their short shelf life will make them rare treasures to the collectors of
US coins a score or two of millenia in the future. Perhaps sooner. But
I'm not going to hold my breath.

4. Any clad Dime.
These coins have surprisingly little use economically, and I have never
heard any collector on any occasion talk about saving one, unless it has a
W mint mark.

5. Presidential dollars.
Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

6. First lady gold pieces.
Now they're just being rediculous.

7. Any commemorative coin featuring Eunice Shriver or commemorating the
230th anniverssary of anything.
The 38th anniverssary of the Korean war was kind of neat, but come on.
Unless the anniversary is important and the event is of national
signifigance, let's not foist off another thinly veiled special interest
revenue project on the numismatic community who will have to live with the
folly for hundreds of years. I know I still treasure the opportunity to
honor the 50th anniversary of Cincinatti as a center of music, and I can't
wait to tell my kids that I was there when they made the coins that
commemorated the capital visitor center in coin of the realm. And with all
due respect to Mrs. Shriver, I don't think she was ever meant to be
sculpted in metal.

8, 9, and 10 being trivially obvious, I will leave them as an exercize for
the reader.

-p

Old June 13th 05, 11:29 AM
note.boy

wrote:

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

Can we get the Churchill crown on the list?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

Churchill was made an honorary American, I think. He's in! :-) Billy
Old June 13th 05, 05:38 PM
Darren

wrote:

OK, this is just a spoof of the annual Coinage magazine article
that comes out this time each year.

To make it easier, specific date/mintmark coins can be listed
or series of coins. US coins only. One rule - SBA dollars can
only be listed once either as a date or a series. Have fun.

Can we get the Churchill crown on the list?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

Churchill was made an honorary American, I think. He's in! :-) Billy

Wasn't his mother American? He's at least half in.

Web sites of interest 2***Web Sites of Interest (Part2)*** The Silver Jar... Coins 3 February 9th 05 12:00 AM
Coin Books Dale Hallmark Coins 2 February 15th 04 08:03 PM
Framework for issue of euro commemorative coins Arwel Parry Coins 2 October 26th 03 10:13 AM
Coin Toning Question ynotan Coins 3 October 6th 03 09:28 AM
FS: Topps Coins Max Gratton Baseball 0 September 29th 03 02:25 PM