New Website! Emrick Cachets

Old December 5th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
EmrickCachets

Default New Website! Emrick Cachets

To all Collectors of Hand Painted First Day Covers and "Add-Ons" -
please take a moment to look at my new website. I've been selling on
eBay and will continue there but thought I'd try going on my own to see
if I can build a stronger customer base. All my work is hand drawn
(most have the base original art "keyline" printed lightly on my
computer printer) - then each is hand painted signed and numbered.
Please, take a look and let me know what you think!
www.emrickcachets.com

Thanks for your time!
Bob Emrick

Old December 6th 06, 01:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John Taormina

EmrickCachets wrote:
To all Collectors of Hand Painted First Day Covers and "Add-Ons" -
please take a moment to look at my new website. I've been selling on
eBay and will continue there but thought I'd try going on my own to see
if I can build a stronger customer base. All my work is hand drawn
(most have the base original art "keyline" printed lightly on my
computer printer) - then each is hand painted signed and numbered.
Please, take a look and let me know what you think!
www.emrickcachets.com

Thanks for your time!
Bob Emrick

Is this another advert? Perhaps I'm just over sensitive, after all Boob
is asking for feedback!!!

--
John Taormina The MIDDLE-AGED one
To email me you must remove "notme" and "jack"
Old December 6th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
EmrickCachets

John,
I guess I have to admit that this IS an ad... If this goes against the
group rules I was unaware... I know as a collector myself I am always
glad to learn of a new source for quality covers... and really thought
this group would appreciate the opportunity to just take a look. I did
not join JUST to advertise... hope to get to know some collectors out
there.
Thanks for your input.
Bob
*(I tried to delete the "notme" and "jack" from your email - would not
delete...???)

Old December 7th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bobstamp

Questions of the propriety of Bob Emrick's post aside, I'd like to
comment on his covers, which are undeniably attractive, as in "Wow!
Those are nice!" However, I have to take issue with one of his offers,
"Naval Ship Add-On" (see http://www.emrickcachets.com/id78.html).

While the results are impressive (he is a talented artist), I am less
than impressed with the thought of "upgrading" postal artifacts,
regardless of how plain they are. To a postal history collector, such
additions to a cover, regardless of how attractive they are, largely
destroy the historic and philatelic value of the cover. The point of
postal history collecting is not to beautify old covers, but to
recognize their historic value in building up a picture of the events
and circumstances in which they were created. I recognize the argument
that many "ship covers" are philatelic in the extreme, and are also
about as exciting to look at as a fast-food cash receipt. But if I had
such a cover dated on the day Saigon fell to the Communists, or the
first day of the Tet Offensive, or the days that the Turner Joy and
Maddox were supposedly attacked, I would certainly not want it defaced
by add-on art years after the event.

Having said that, I will also say that I am most impressed by Bob's
work, and even have an idea for a cachet to present to him.

Bob Ingraham

Old December 8th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
EmrickCachets

Bob,

Thank you for your response. As an avid collector of First Day Covers
and Historic Covers (and Stamps) I must agree with your view... There
are MANY such covers that I would not personally want to change in any
way. There are MANY in my own collection that will definitely NOT be
"Added-On" with cachets. However, there are thousands out there that
have little significance historically and my offer is basically aimed
at those... there are also many "non-philatelic" (non-stamp collectors)
folks who have such covers just setting in the attic that could be made
into something "special" that can be framed and displayed or included
in a Memorbilia Collection of the USS *_____ (whatever ship they may
have served on).

Thank you for your kind words about the artwork... I always put my best
efforts into each one. As you can see by looking through my website
MOST of my work IS done on NEW stamp issues as they come out each year.

I just had a couple of "non-descript" USS Newport News Covers (I served
on this Heavy Cruiser in Vietnam - 1967-68) that I wanted to dress up
and the thought came to me that just maybe other Ex-Crewmembers of
various ships would like to have something like this.

Again, thank you for taking the time to look and I DO appreciate your
comments.

Bob Emrick