Canada - Circular Cancels?

Old October 4th 04, 12:58 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

Default Canada - Circular Cancels?

Some time ago Blair (TC) mentioned in a thread which I can no longer find,
that the Canadian Grizzly, issued 1997 (Scott # 1700) would command a
premium if sold used with a nice circular cancel.

My question is, whether nice circular cancels were still common at
"Grizzly-Times" in 1997 ?

I am asking, because I have a pane of 4 (still on piece) with nice
rectangular, legible cancels covering all four stamps
http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoeb...lyPaneCanc.jpg

Would that pane command a premium too? In case I decide to soak it
(carefully, I know!) for how much should I price it for sale?

I should add that I also have the mint Grizzly, but "only" as a single stamp
(not a pane).
Thanks for any advice.
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)

Old October 4th 04, 01:58 AM
Rodney

G'day Mette
Blair's post was on 5th august 2004..........

HTH

It must be a record of some kind.
However if I had mailed the parcel to you, I would have used
3 lightly cancelled sheetlets of 4 x $8 Bear ($96) to maximize
your after-use stamp value.
$8 Grizzly Bear http://www.adminware.ca/checklist/1700
This stamp was released October 15, 1997 in panes of 4.
Have you seen a used copy? It seems as though even finding
one good used single of this stamp is difficult.
Most businesses use metered mail; the general public will likely
not send many heavy parcels or use an additional service such as
registration that requires more postage. Heavy packages being
sent out of country may require the use of an $8 stamp, but
when you drop your package of at the post office, the clerk
is more likely to generate a "meter" or parcel "label" than
to offer you the use of "lick and stick" stamps!

At the beginning of 1999, the post office changed the "rules"
on paying the retail franchises. The sub post-offices used to
receive a healthy discount on postage stamps. However, in
January 1999 this discount was dramatically reduced. To
compensate for this, the discount applied to "metered"
mail was increased. If you are the owner of a retail
sub post-office franchise, would you sell postage stamps
or use metered mail (the latter giving you a significantly
larger commission)?

Nicely used $8 Grizzly Bear stamps (ie. light, circular
date cancel used in period) will command a premium.

Blair

--

(Remove gum to reply)

Old October 4th 04, 09:07 AM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Rodney" skrev i en meddelelse
G'day Mette
Blair's post was on 5th august 2004..........

Thanks Rodney, that was exactly the post I remembered. In the meantime I
have received some private answers to my post. When I have read them all, I
will know much more about this.

Old October 4th 04, 12:13 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

Blair wrote:

- snip -

Nicely used $8 Grizzly Bear stamps (ie. light, circular
date cancel used in period) will command a premium.

Blair

Blair, how do you define "in period" in this case? I understand that this
stamp is a (high value) definitive, and as such the "in period" would last,
if not "forever", then at least for an unlimited time ?

I am asking because another collector has informed me privately that some
postmasters are willing to apply circular date cancels "on command" if you
ask them nicely, instead of the rectangulars that are the norm. ;-)

Old October 4th 04, 05:25 PM
TC Blair

"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message ...
Some time ago Blair (TC) mentioned in a thread which I can no longer find,
that the Canadian Grizzly, issued 1997 (Scott # 1700) would command a
premium if sold used with a nice circular cancel.

My question is, whether nice circular cancels were still common at
"Grizzly-Times" in 1997 ?

I am asking, because I have a pane of 4 (still on piece) with nice
rectangular, legible cancels covering all four stamps
http://shoebox.heindorffhus.dk/shoeb...lyPaneCanc.jpg

Would that pane command a premium too? In case I decide to soak it
(carefully, I know!) for how much should I price it for sale?

I should add that I also have the mint Grizzly, but "only" as a single stamp
(not a pane).
Thanks for any advice.

Grizzly Bear sheet used

Hello Mette:

Here is a scan of another used grizzly bear sheetlet.
(sent via private e-mail)

The square cancel shown was more common on parcels
than the circular ones. Many small POs used these
instead of circular ones as they were more convenient.

The large rectangular cancels you have were only
used at larger POs.

Personally, I would soak your sheetlet off paper.
It will not affect the value. Also, it will allow
you to PRESS the wrinkle out of the sheetlet.

My fear is that , if kept on paper, the wrinkle
would become a permanent crease (or worse a tear)
which would certainly affect the value downwards.

Blair (TC)

cc RCSD
Old October 4th 04, 06:41 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"TC Blair" skrev i en meddelelse
m...

- snip -

Grizzly Bear sheet used

Hello Mette:

Here is a scan of another used grizzly bear sheetlet.
(sent via private e-mail)

The square cancel shown was more common on parcels
than the circular ones. Many small POs used these
instead of circular ones as they were more convenient.

The large rectangular cancels you have were only
used at larger POs.

Personally, I would soak your sheetlet off paper.
It will not affect the value. Also, it will allow
you to PRESS the wrinkle out of the sheetlet.

My fear is that , if kept on paper, the wrinkle
would become a permanent crease (or worse a tear)
which would certainly affect the value downwards.

Thanks for your advice Blair. But my question regarding "used in period"
still remains unanswered :-) (See my post immediately above your post).

Old October 4th 04, 08:52 PM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On 4 Oct 2004 09:25:03 -0700, (TC Blair) wrote:

[...]

I agree with Blair about the soaking bit... They're too cool to
waste.

What about the newer $5 Moose?

Tracy Barber
Old October 4th 04, 10:12 PM
amesh \(Mette\)

"Mr. Tracy Barber" skrev i en meddelelse

- snip -

I agree with Blair about the soaking bit... They're too cool to
waste.

The sheet is now soaked, and put to on soft, white kitchen paper. Looks
great! Will press it overnight, and see what happens

What about the newer $5 Moose?

I got him too, Tracy, a full mint pane, and quite a number of used singles.
I have particularly one piece where both the Polar Bear, the Loon and the
Moose are present, neatly cancelled with rectangular cancels.

Old October 4th 04, 11:25 PM
TC Blair

"amesh \(Mette\)" wrote in message ...
Blair wrote:

- snip -

Nicely used $8 Grizzly Bear stamps (ie. light, circular
date cancel used in period) will command a premium.

Blair

Blair, how do you define "in period" in this case? I understand that this
stamp is a (high value) definitive, and as such the "in period" would last,
if not "forever", then at least for an unlimited time ?

I am asking because another collector has informed me privately that some
postmasters are willing to apply circular date cancels "on command" if you
ask them nicely, instead of the rectangulars that are the norm. ;-)
--
Best regards
Ann Mette Heindorff (Mette)
reply to heindorffhus at heindorffhus dot.dk
http://www.heindorffhus.dk

Mette:

Since the stamp is still available at face
value at post offices, then the period of
use continues - until it is withdrawn or
replaced.

Naturally favour cancels will also appear
and it may well be the only way for future
collectors to get nicely used copies.

Blair
Old October 4th 04, 11:40 PM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:12:47 +0200, "amesh \(Mette\)"
wrote:

"Mr. Tracy Barber" skrev i en meddelelse
.. .

- snip -

I agree with Blair about the soaking bit... They're too cool to
waste.

The sheet is now soaked, and put to on soft, white kitchen paper. Looks
great! Will press it overnight, and see what happens

What about the newer $5 Moose?

I got him too, Tracy, a full mint pane, and quite a number of used singles.
I have particularly one piece where both the Polar Bear, the Loon and the
Moose are present, neatly cancelled with rectangular cancels.

Another way to collect them is with the footprint selvage. I have a
few of those in used condition and will keep the selvage attached.
Many times I remove blank selvage, but on these I'll keep them.

I like all of those $1 Canada issues mentioned. Very good move on
Canada Poste's part... The same with the .96 Dove, one of most
beautiful Canadian stamps I've seen.

Tracy Barber