solution for taking new stamps off paper

Old October 14th 11, 05:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Neb

Default solution for taking new stamps off paper

I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. Please, someone help

Old October 15th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 10/14/2011 12:12 PM, Neb wrote:
I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. Please, someone help

The problem is that new glues are not water-soluble. Some people have
used various things to try to get it off. Others leave the stamps on
paper and cut neatly just outside the stamp and any fake perforations.
Others collect on entire covers (envelopes). Others only collect mint
(or unused cancelled-to-order).

Terry

Old October 15th 11, 04:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Neb

On Oct 15, 11:21*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Neb found these unused words:

I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. *All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. *The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. *Please, someone help

You can but try:
Place them face down on a piece of 'plastic'. Old type non textured formica
works, for example.

When they 'pop', place into the drying book to 'straighten'.

Are you talking about solid pices of plastic? Can you give me a
little more descrition of the plastic you are talking about. My mine
is not working too good this morning
Thanks,
Neb
Old October 16th 11, 04:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:

Neb found these unused words:

On Oct 15, 11:21*am, Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
Neb found these unused words:

I hope someone can help me with what solution I should use to remove
most new stamps from paper. *All the old stamps I soaked in water and
slid paper off and dried in a drying book. *The new super sticky
stamps stick to the drying book after soaking. *Please, someone help

...snip

I finally gave it up and only collect the 'classic' periods of three
countries now.

That was a splendid advice :-)
but I found a perfect method - I can only talk for the new Danish
stamps, though.

No water. Nothing but your fingers! If you have a piece of paper with
the cancelled sticky stamp. Bend the paper totally at a corner of the
stamp. You can then catch the corner of the stamp between two fingers
and draw the stamp slooowly and very carefully of the paper.

You will then see that ALL the sticky glue will be left back on the
paper and not on the stamp.

The paper of these stamps is thick enough to do this and if you want
you can put the stamps in water afterwards and dry them in a book to
get them (more) plain than before. There will not be the slightest
glue left on the stamp.

I have tried with 10 Danish stamps - that's what I had at hand - and
it worked. (And continued to collect classic stamps after that :-)

Mvh
Toke
--

Læs om Ejnar Olsen og Søllestedmærkerne
samt om trusselsbrevet til kong Fr. 8!
Old October 16th 11, 06:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey

On 10/16/2011 11:54, Toke Nørby wrote:

[...]

I've tried a similar method with US stamps, but many now are too thin
for that to work well. After soaking, I've sometimes able to rub the
adhesive off the back of the stamp, but even that isn't reliable. For
my kids, where the value of the stamp is in having it in the book rather
than keeping it in pristine condition, what I have sometimes done is to
let the stamps dry as much as possible and the carefully rub the
adhesive side with fingers coated in flour. The flour adheres to the
backs and makes them "un-sticky".

-Don

Old October 17th 11, 04:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 10/16/2011 1:47 PM, Don Levey wrote:

I've tried a similar method with US stamps, but many now are too thin
for that to work well. After soaking, I've sometimes able to rub the
adhesive off the back of the stamp, but even that isn't reliable.

I have had the paper in bare areas start 'rubbing off' before all the
glue was gone.

For
my kids, where the value of the stamp is in having it in the book rather
than keeping it in pristine condition, what I have sometimes done is to
let the stamps dry as much as possible and the carefully rub the
adhesive side with fingers coated in flour. The flour adheres to the
backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

I have used this to de-stick other things too.

Terry

Old October 19th 11, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Pierre COURTIADE[_6_]

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

--
All the best,
Pierre Courtiade

to answer me, please replace NOSPAM by my family name

Old October 19th 11, 03:20 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey

On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

It is difficult to find in the US, as some felt it leads to lung
difficulties.
-Don
Old October 19th 11, 07:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 10/18/2011 7:20 PM, Don Levey wrote:
On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

It is difficult to find in the US, as some felt it leads to lung
difficulties.
-Don

Baking soda works too.

Bill
Old October 19th 11, 11:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Terry Reedy

On 10/19/2011 2:21 PM, Billns wrote:
On 10/18/2011 7:20 PM, Don Levey wrote:
On 10/18/2011 21:28, Pierre COURTIADE wrote:

.... The flour adheres to the backs and makes them "un-sticky".

Terry Reedy :

Corn start (or any starch) should work as well. It is finer than most
flours (which also are mostly starch).

Don and Terry,

Even better is to use talc (talcum powder ?). One may find it here in
France in drugstores.
I do not know if this is true elsewhere.

It is difficult to find in the US, as some felt it leads to lung
difficulties.
-Don

Baking soda works too.

This is probably a good idea. The common brands are not as finely
divided but it is non-toxic, inorganic, and will neutralize a bit of
paper acidity.