DAMN AOL TO HELL!

Old November 5th 03, 05:30 AM
BobbyShaw

Something I just learned when I upgraded to AOL 9.0.

By default, the spam filter considers anything with a clickable link in it
to be spam. So if you turn on the spam filter, any emails received from
ebay (they all have clickable links) go to your spam folder.

I'm using AOL 9.0 as well. My spam filter is getting better. Apparently, you
have to "teach" it what is spam and what is not. Things that show up in your
inbox that is spam, click "report spam". Any non-spam that shows up in your
spam folder, that isn't, click "this is not spam".

I've been doing that for a couple of weeks, and it is getting better and better
at identifying true spam.

Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html
Old November 5th 03, 12:17 PM
Bob Peterson

I am in the process of switching my ebay and paypal stuff off of my AOL
account. I am not sure just why, but I really dislike the way AOL 9.0
handles stored mail. I used to really like AOL's filing cabinet, but for
some reason really dislike the new version, and I can't quite put my finger
on just why.

Old November 5th 03, 07:38 PM
WinWinscenario

It took me at least an hour to download and install new AOL 9.0, but it only
took about twenty minutes to uninstall it and restore AOL 8!

Regards,
Tom
Old November 5th 03, 08:10 PM
BobbyShaw

It took me at least an hour to download and install new AOL 9.0, but it only
took about twenty minutes to uninstall it and restore AOL 8!

Regards,
Tom

I haven't had any problems with 9.0, and although it's different... there's
nothing so annoying to make me dump it and go back to 8.0. I *did* notice that
they moved the newsgroup access for the third time in four versions. But, they
do give you a customizable toolbar at the top, and you can (and I did) add the
newsgroups link to it.

Also... sounds like you might be on dial-up access if it took that long to
install. They already have the new CD's out in the post offices, grocery
stores, etc... If you have dial-up, pick up one of the CD's instead of
suffering through that long of a download.

PS. I don't think AOL needs to be damned to Hell... maybe just a few years in
Purgatory. ;-)

Robert Shaw
Old November 5th 03, 11:42 PM
Bob Peterson

Well, this new version is annoying enough that it may well be worth the
aggravation to go back. I realized part of the annoyance is that they
changed the font size of email messages being read for the title to be so
small as to be almost unreadable.

Old November 6th 03, 10:37 AM
Bamboozled

"BobbyShaw" wrote in message

I haven't had any problems with 9.0, and although it's different...

there's
nothing so annoying to make me dump it and go back to 8.0. I *did* notice

that
they moved the newsgroup access for the third time in four versions. But,

they
do give you a customizable toolbar at the top, and you can (and I did) add

the
newsgroups link to it.

Also... sounds like you might be on dial-up access if it took that long

install. They already have the new CD's out in the post offices, grocery
stores, etc... If you have dial-up, pick up one of the CD's instead of
suffering through that long of a download.

PS. I don't think AOL needs to be damned to Hell... maybe just a few

years in
Purgatory. ;-)

Just more reasons why I stuck with v5.0. Hence the saying - "if it's not
broke, don't fix it", so I haven't. :-)

Old November 6th 03, 10:39 AM
JSTONE9352

Just more reasons why I stuck with v5.0. Hence the saying - "if it's not
broke, don't fix it", so I haven't. :-)

Many companies like to update their
products so they can advertise "new and
improved". Of course it doesn't always
live up to the hype.
Old November 6th 03, 05:44 PM
Coin Saver

From: winwinscenario

It took me at least an hour to download and install new AOL 9.0, but it only

took about twenty minutes to uninstall it and restore AOL 8!

Heh. I guess I saved myself about 80 minutes.

8-/

Coin Saver