Malaya Revenue Cancels

Old April 5th 09, 11:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild[_3_]

Default Malaya Revenue Cancels

A friend is doing an inventory of his collection and asked what I knew about
revenue cancels on Federated Malay States stamps. Opting for honesty, I
told him I knew very little. When asked to elaborate, I explained that I'd
seen several stamps for sale with what were described as revenue cancels and
deductions we

If the phrase STAMP OFFICE appears, it's a revenue cancel. If either part
of the phrase appears, it probably is a revenue cancel.

Many cancels described as revenue ones are oval, and many have Maltese
crosses in the annular area. From these two facts, I treat all oval cancels
and all cancels with Maltese crosses as revenue ones.

How badly did I mislead my fellow collector?

His interest is likely to be both knowing if my guidelines are correct and
if there are any other clues that should lead him to inventory specific
cancels as being revenue cancels.

Stan

Old April 6th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Just an observation Stan,
there is an oval cancellation existing circa 1929-1934
Kuala Lumpur Registration ie postal use.

I also have an oval cancellation "Bukit Mera" "Post Office" in violet ink
that would suggest postal use, which tends to defeat your corollary

Please advise if you would like the images.

Rodney

Old April 6th 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Apr 5, 6:51*pm, "Stan Fairchild" wrote:
[...]

Hello Stan:

Nothing is absolute, but in general company stamps were oval
and stamped in purple or black ink. Revenue usage is also indicated
by handwritten signatures and dates as well as cancels by a
straight line date stamp.

These usually come from documents. Some examples follow.

Here is an example of an oval parcel post cancel on a FMS stamp.
http://images.rubystamps.com/WEB/485361.jpg

Here are stamps with a round STAMP OFFICE cancel (fiscal use).
http://i23.ebayimg.com/08/i/001/16/a5/794e_1.JPG
http://www.anthonystamps.com/scpics/4-07030505.jpg

Punched hole cancels also show fiscal use.
http://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag...zdpMMalaya.jpg

Purple oval STAMP OFFICE fiscal cancels.
http://images.rubystamps.com/WEB/477807.jpg
http://www496.pair.com/wsandrik/eBay4/F946.jpg

Purple oval cancels on exchange bill.
http://i.ebayimg.com/13/!BP5uR3Q!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj0EjlLmTLjuBJ2GnO0h9g~~_1.JP G

Round postal cancel on $1.
http://images.rubystamps.com/WEB/477806.jpg

50c KGV tied by 50c Embossed Revenue on Piece
http://www496.pair.com/wsandrik/eBay4/F944.jpg

and a similar one on document
http://knegal.8m.com/2004/May/PenangRenewalReceipt.jpg

Punched hole + hand written date cancel.
http://brassdragon.biz/malaya-2dol-41-e5724.jpg

Hand written and embossed stamp cancels.
http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!BO35r6gB2k~$(KGrHgoH-EQEjlLlwfrpBJw2gV4oQQ~~_1.JPG

Straight line cancel.
http://brassdragon.biz/malaya-5dol-42-e5725.jpg

Is this a postal cancel on this revenue?
http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/79/a4/8a83_1_b.JPG

Black oval cancel and small round black fiscal cancels.
http://i19.ebayimg.com/02/i/001/39/5f/c742_1.JPG

Purple oval and black circle cancels on power of attorney.
http://i4.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/3e/2a/83db_1.JPG

Cheers
Blair

Old April 6th 09, 05:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Possibly not.
"Pejabat" translates as department I think.
So possibly a rev cancel.

Most IPOH cancels on FMS are circular
IPOH at the top
and FMS at the bottom.

"Blair"

Old April 6th 09, 08:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Blair wrote:
Is this a postal cancel on this revenue?
http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/79/a4/8a83_1_b.JPG

This looks like the first part of the Malay word 'Pembayaran' =
'Payment(s)' to me

Tony
Old April 6th 09, 08:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Asia-translation wrote:
Blair wrote:
Is this a postal cancel on this revenue?
http://i22.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/79/a4/8a83_1_b.JPG

This looks like the first part of the Malay word 'Pembayaran' =
'Payment(s)' to me

Tony

Rodney is quite right: 'Pejabat' - 'Office'. I misread.

Tony
Old April 6th 09, 01:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild[_3_]

"Stan Fairchild" wrote in message
A friend asked about revenue cancels on Federated Malay States stamps. I
told him I knew very little. When asked to elaborate, I explained that I'd
seen several stamps for sale with what were described as revenue cancels.
If the phrase STAMP OFFICE appears, it's a revenue cancel. If either part
of the phrase appears, it probably is a revenue cancel.

[snipped to eliminate misleading previous conclusions]

Stan

Great work done by Blair. Thanks. It's summarized in one image at:

http://cjoint.com/?eioaey7Slu

Stan