Which is more valuable?

Old June 14th 04, 12:53 PM
Earl Bollinger

Default Which is more valuable?

Which is more valuable?
Keeping a USMint coin(s) in their original holders and packaging or breaking
them out and having them slabbed.
To me it looks like a lot of people are breaking up a lot of the sets just
to get a elusive MS69 coin.
To me it looks like some kind of a lottery. How many sets get broke up to
get one really nice coin?
Thanks
Earl

Old June 14th 04, 04:19 PM
Bob Flaminio

Earl Bollinger wrote:
Which is more valuable?
Keeping a USMint coin(s) in their original holders and packaging or
breaking them out and having them slabbed.
To me it looks like a lot of people are breaking up a lot of the sets
just to get a elusive MS69 coin.
To me it looks like some kind of a lottery. How many sets get broke
up to get one really nice coin?

Well, keep in mind that you can always "unbreak" them, if you've saved
the original packaging. I think in a hundred years or so it might make a
difference, but for now it doesn't matter too much.

--
Bob

Old June 15th 04, 03:32 PM
WinWinscenario

To me it looks like a lot of people are breaking up a lot of the sets
just to get a elusive MS69 coin.
To me it looks like some kind of a lottery. How many sets get broke
up to get one really nice coin?

The advantages of breaking them out is that
1- Your coins are better preserved in slabs than in original mint packaging.
2- Some psychologists think the primary human motivation is to seek certainty.
That explains the religious impulse. It also explains why some would rather
have a known MS-66 than an unknown ?MS-69?still in Mint packaging.
3- Some people can make a lot of money if they hit the lottery by getting a
high-grade coin out of their sets, and are willing to gamble.
4- Others just like to manipulate their belongings, exercising their rights of
ownership. When the thrill of inspecting them has worn off, the next step is
to change the packaging.

Regards,
Tom
Old June 15th 04, 10:51 PM
cladking

espam (WinWinscenario) wrote in message ...
[...]

The mint and proof sets have been getting busted up for decades. Many
times the contents have simply been spent because the set was
purchased for less than face value or the coins are inferior. Some
people will bust a set just to get one coin for their collection and
will then spend the other coins. Now days most of these sets are
worth more after they are cut up and destroyed. The sum of the parts
is greater than the whole. There are also a few sets getting busted
for the high grade coins but this is a recent phenomena. Only a small
minority of the sets contain any coins that are worth as much as the
slabbing fee so this still isn't the major reason that sets are
destroyed.

It's true that the government packaging isn't always very good for
these coins. Some coins like the '68 cent are virtually universally
tarnished and/or carbon spotted in the sets. It may be wise to bust
most of these sets so the coins can be stabilized in acetone or
alcohol.