Greece: Hermes heads "clear" vs. "poor" impression

Old April 13th 09, 02:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Stan Fairchild[_3_]

Default Greece: Hermes heads "clear" vs. "poor" impression

Relative to the my earlier posting about a 25 L lilac Hermes head with what
looked like a "clear" impression, the owner and I have now decided it must
just be a good copy of the later, "poor" impression stamp. Thanks, Blair.

I've assembled the better images from the links provided by Blair, and they
are shown at the link below. (BE CAREFUL, I lightened two of the "clear"
impressions to make details easier to find.)

I don't see any significant difference between "clear" and "poor" except for
the two stamp-denomination combinations one of which is unique to each
impression, and the 5 L green "poor" that looks damaged.

What are the visual differences between "clear" and "poor?"

http://cjoint.com/?eoqWin1aSB

Stan

Old April 13th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Apr 12, 9:16*pm, "Stan Fairchild"
wrote:
Relative to the my earlier posting about a 25 L lilac Hermes head with what
looked like a "clear" impression, the owner and I have now decided it must
just be a good copy of the later, "poor" impression stamp. *Thanks, Blair.

I've assembled the better images from the links provided by Blair, and they
are shown at the link below. *(BE CAREFUL, I lightened two of the "clear"
impressions to make details easier to find.)

I don't see any significant difference between "clear" and "poor" except for
the two stamp-denomination combinations one of which is unique to each
impression, and the 5 L green "poor" that looks damaged.

What are the visual differences between "clear" and "poor?"

http://cjoint.com/?eoqWin1aSB

* * * * Stan

Well, my old eyes nearly drove me crazy trying to answer that
question, Stan.
Of course, I would not trust Scott alone, if I were to start
collecting specialized
Hermes heads. I would probably resort to consulting the Specialized
Greek
literature on this topic. Those chaps know far more than I do on that
topic.
(eg the appropriate volume of Vlastos etc.)

Blair