New Zealand Postmarks ID.

Old December 8th 09, 07:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default New Zealand Postmarks ID.

A small offering from Rusty Toning.

1. Boatman's ? I guess a tiny town near Reefton South Island, confirmation?
Any Idea how it was named?

2. 12 bar Dunedin killer.

3. Picton named after Lt Gen Sir Thomas Picton of the Iberian Peninsular wars. Killed at Waterloo

4. Geraldine The Fitzgerald's family name in Ireland.

5. Split Diamond Cancel "B / S 2.3/10ths cents" ?? Any Ideas on this one?

http://cjoint.com/data/mii6UXSJvf.htm

Thanks

Old December 8th 09, 08:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

On Dec 8, 6:06*pm, "rodney" pookiethai@NOSPAM iprimus.com.au wrote:
A small offering from Rusty Toning.

1. Boatman's ? *I guess a tiny town near Reefton South Island, confirmation?
* * * * * * * * * * * *Any Idea how it was named?

2. 12 bar Dunedin killer.

3. Picton * *named after Lt Gen Sir Thomas Picton of the Iberian Peninsular wars. Killed at Waterloo

4. Geraldine * * *The Fitzgerald's family name in Ireland.

5. Split Diamond Cancel *"B / S 2.3/10ths cents" ?? * *Any Ideas on this one?

http://cjoint.com/data/mii6UXSJvf.htm

Thanks

Might that last one be some sort of accountancy mark that has
inadvertently appeared on the stamp? Postage Due markings used to
shown in Gold Centimes too: could it be part of a Postage Due mark?
(Though in that case, I don't see how the B would fit in.)

Tony
Old December 8th 09, 10:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Along the lines I was thinking Tony,
Postage Due
The "B" nags me a little, time to query my database.
Nifty looking stamp, whatever

"Asia-translation"

Old December 8th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

Looks like the best guess as a place - Is still a Boatmans Rd there.

Boatman is a rare surname - some in the Ausie white pages but none it seems
in NZ.

Was a goldmining area.

Here is a pic of Boatmans Crusher.
http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/ob...spx?oid=370019

I think the flat structure in front of the building is a riffle table
concentrator.

Crusher is not the usual term - Battery more common - but crushing is the
function.

From that I would say the place was named after the owner of the crusher.

Old December 9th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thanks very much Gazza,
I should imagine a rare cancellation,
interesting to see the cancel still retains the possessive apostrophe.

To me the large wheel in that image was counter productive
I couln't figure out how that would work,
I would have thought the buckets should be facing the other way.
rodney

"Gazza" wrote in message ...
Looks like the best guess as a place - Is still a Boatmans Rd there.

Boatman is a rare surname - some in the Ausie white pages but none it seems in NZ.

Was a goldmining area.

Here is a pic of Boatmans Crusher. http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/ob...spx?oid=370019

I think the flat structure in front of the building is a riffle table concentrator.

Crusher is not the usual term - Battery more common - but crushing is the function.

From that I would say the place was named after the owner of the crusher.

Old December 9th 09, 07:33 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

Wikipedia tells me its a backshot wheel and reputedly more efficient than
what one might think as one rotating normaly. I guess because the energy in
the approach velocity of the water is much less than its potential energy
from its elevation the direction doesn't matter much - more the bucket
geometry.

"Gazza" wrote in message
Looks like the best guess as a place - Is still a Boatmans Rd there.

Boatman is a rare surname - some in the Ausie white pages but none it
seems in NZ.

Was a goldmining area.

Here is a pic of Boatmans Crusher.
http://collections.tepapa.govt.nz/ob...spx?oid=370019

I think the flat structure in front of the building is a riffle table
concentrator.

Crusher is not the usual term - Battery more common - but crushing is the
function.

From that I would say the place was named after the owner of the crusher.

Postmarks. rodney General Discussion 5 September 11th 09 11:58 AM
postmarks vol 3 malcolm General Discussion 22 December 2nd 08 09:20 AM
Part postmarks -New Zealand malcolm General Discussion 2 October 7th 08 08:26 PM
2 x 4 postmarks bubblegummom General Discussion 0 December 27th 06 07:51 PM
2 x 4 postmarks bubblegummom General Discussion 3 September 21st 06 08:33 PM