I may be selling a fake

Old April 21st 07, 05:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Cooper

Default I may be selling a fake

I'm currently running an eBay listing for a CSA stamped envelope. See:
330110770485.

I received an email today stating:

"The cancel on this cover is most likely fake as it is not kown to
have been used in the Confederate period. The notation that is lined
out says "fake cancel." If you want more info on this fake I suggest
you contact John Kimbrough."

I'm going to pull the listing before it closes, but I'll leave it up
for the weekend. Now that this email has been received, I *can* see
where the added note on the envelope says "Fake cancel". I didn't
read it as that when I listed it.

I'm really baffled by this. There's no question in my mind that this
envelope is as old as it looks. The handwriting is that spiky style
that is associated with stick pens. There was a "Blackie Hospital" in
Augusta GA http://tinyurl.com/2xun6f This is not a rare item or
something that has a high value.

Why would anyone fake a cancel mark? That doesn't add to the value,
does it? If a cancel mark was faked, why would the faker not use a
valid cancel? I do see where perfs have been faked on some CSA
stamps, but that was to increase value.

The whole thing baffles me, and any information on the "why?" would be
appreciated.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old April 22nd 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:05:00 -0700, Sir F. A. Rien
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:36:02 -0400, Tony Cooper
found these unused words floating about:

[...]

Sorry I can't offer the 'why', but I'll stick my neck out and say that
several things long taken as 'gospel' in the early GB area are now being
changed with new material! The phrase from the email is "not known" and is
not stated as 'cancels from XXX, proven to have be faked'. The latter would
indicate a definite known 'faked cancel' probability.

1). even leaving up for the weekend, I'd add the comment from the emailer
and (if you still wish to sell it) state it is 'as is'. Obviously if one of
the four bidders who have now entered the fray win, then you should offer a
back out.

I'm leaving it up just to see if other comments come in. I'm not sure
if that's the right thing to do or not. New ground.

-=or=- do as you plan and re-list with the comment that if -=may=- be a fake
cancel.

I haven't thought that far ahead.

2). The cancel sure looks tied and not over a lifted area. Perhaps from the
obverse, you can see if there's any nmarkings that would indicate it was
unstamped in its original transit. That might give you a clue as to the
proper affixation of the stamp.

3). What interests me - and the main reason for the reply - is the 'mirror
imaging' of the full address, yet I can't see any signs of a fold!

I noticed the mirror image, but thought it was the result of being
blotted or something. Really didn't pay that much attention. I can
now explain it, though. The envelope was originally addressed on what
is now the inside, and then the envelope was inverted and addressed
again. What you see is show-through.

The handwriting is basically the same on both sides. A few minor
differences, but nothing that writing with a stick pen wouldn't
account for. Ink color and letter thickness is the same.

Aren't these puzzles 'fun' ???

Yeah, it gets more complicated as I look at it closer.

If someone's faked something,they sure went to a great deal of trouble
for a rather ordinary item.
--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old September 9th 10, 04:33 AM
Patsy Harris Patsy Harris is offline
Junior Member

Tony, Do you still have that envelope? I just saw this posting. Patsy