from a newbie - do I have something worth investigating?

Old August 21st 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A R Pickett

Default from a newbie - do I have something worth investigating?

I recently discovered a large old fashioned storage box, filled with stamps
and covers accumulated by my aunt. Most of the postmarks are from the
1940's and 1950's. The volume of cancelled stamps is considerable, and
while there might be something of value in there, I'm confident the effort
to sort through everything would not be very productive.

More intriguing are some of the covers. There are some sent from Hawaii
during the war years of the early 40's opened, resealed, and cleared by
censors. There are a few others sent from Shanghai China in the mid 1940's.

I've collected covers in the past, and I know that there are very
specialized areas of interest and investment in collecting in this field.
I'm posting here to inquire if anyone can point me in the right direction to
find out if I have anything a cover collector with a specialization might be
interested in.

TIA for any help!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

"It's bad luck to be superstitious"
Paul Phillips, Colorado Sky Sox catcher

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

Old August 21st 10, 05:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Billns

On 8/21/2010 9:03 AM, A R Pickett wrote:
[...]

I'd suggest posting your question about covers at
www.virtualstampclub.com's discussion board. You can read discussions
there as a guest but to post you need to register. There's no charge and
there are many helpful posters there.

You're right, the canceled stamps probably aren't worth much. You many
want to read the "Help! I inherited a collection" article at VSC for
some pointers as to what to do with the box contents.

Bill