Spelling Bee

Old June 2nd 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Spelling Bee

I happened to watch the National Spelling Bee on ABC this evening. It was
interesting that the first word was a coin related word, exergue. Its
meaning is "a space on a coin, token, or medal usually on the reverse below
the central part of the design." That's about the only word that I knew how
to spell. They really had to dig to get some of the words.

I thought it was interesting that, at one point, a young girl spelled a word
and was told the spelling was incorrect. It was later determined that she
had spelled the word correctly but the word was misspelled on the judges'
master list. She was given a second chance.

--
Richard
http://www.richlh.com

Old June 2nd 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 00:55:39 -0400, "Richard L. Hall"
wrote:

I happened to watch the National Spelling Bee on ABC this evening. It was
interesting that the first word was a coin related word, exergue. Its
meaning is "a space on a coin, token, or medal usually on the reverse below
the central part of the design." That's about the only word that I knew how
to spell. They really had to dig to get some of the words.

I thought it was interesting that, at one point, a young girl spelled a word
and was told the spelling was incorrect. It was later determined that she
had spelled the word correctly but the word was misspelled on the judges'
master list. She was given a second chance.

I have been ****ed about the National Spelling Bee ever since a
youngster misspelled a CHINESE word in English. Sheesh!!. There are
so many ways to Romanize Chinese words. But young people are required
to memorize the spelling in a specific dictionary. Double Sheesh!!!!
Aram.
Old June 2nd 06, 09:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

[...]

About two years ago I had an exchange with someone here about this:

http://www.pinyin.info/index.html

I wonder if it was you.

Mr. Jaggers

Old June 2nd 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 03:40:07 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

http://www.pinyin.info/index.html

Did the other ask how to pronounce "X?" If so, it was ,ost likely I.
Aram.

Old June 2nd 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Aram H. Haroutunian" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 03:40:07 -0500, "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

http://www.pinyin.info/index.html

Did the other ask how to pronounce "X?" If so, it was ,ost likely I.
Aram.

I think it was I who had asked about transliteration of Arabic into English,
then the conversation drifted to Chinese into English, and how we saw an
abrupt change some time ago. For example, when I went to school it was
Peking, now it's Beijing, etc. It was either you or Tony, or both, who
enlightened me.

Mr. Jaggers

Old June 2nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:

I thought it was interesting that, at one point, a young girl spelled a word
and was told the spelling was incorrect. It was later determined that she
had spelled the word correctly but the word was misspelled on the judges'
master list. She was given a second chance.

That's what they get for using foreign words that have more than one
transliteration into Roman letters.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

"Euro" chosen for official spelling - Malta stonej Coins 0 January 17th 06 01:20 PM
Compromise offered on Euro spelling dispute John Stone Coins 0 October 13th 04 02:15 PM
Spelling note.boy Paper Money 3 March 21st 04 04:41 PM
my spelling moelarrycurly Autographs 0 December 7th 03 04:04 PM
FS-Collectible Spelling Game 1963 stephen whittaker General 0 December 1st 03 04:33 PM