"Phishing" Attempt

Old August 17th 04, 12:05 AM
John Ray

Default "Phishing" Attempt

I have just received an e-mail, claiming to have come from
Stampstore.org, asking me to log in to a website and verify my account
details. It's in the same form, and with the same sort of grammatical
errors, as the others which I have had recently which purport to have
come from US Bank, Citibank, Royal Bank of Scotland etc.

I am, as it happens, an APS member, so I wonder if their membership
database has been hacked. Have any other members of this newsgroup had
the same? I have, of course, forwarded it to the APS for their
information.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old August 17th 04, 12:12 AM
renster

I am, as it happens, an APS member, so I wonder if their membership
database has been hacked. Have any other members of this newsgroup had
the same? I have, of course, forwarded it to the APS for their
information.

Maybe your email address was harvested from stamp related websites and
newsgroups?

It is here in clear form (unless that isn't you and/or old email address
no longer in use):
http://www.geocities.com/uaestamps/associations/

rene

Old August 17th 04, 12:30 AM
Mr. Tracy Barber

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 00:05:06 +0100, John Ray
wrote:

I have just received an e-mail, claiming to have come from
Stampstore.org, asking me to log in to a website and verify my account
details. It's in the same form, and with the same sort of grammatical
errors, as the others which I have had recently which purport to have
come from US Bank, Citibank, Royal Bank of Scotland etc.

I am, as it happens, an APS member, so I wonder if their membership
database has been hacked. Have any other members of this newsgroup had
the same? I have, of course, forwarded it to the APS for their
information.

At first I thought you just came from the last Phish fest in Coventry,
Vt!!!!!

Anyway, I'd simply report it to whatever the
organization name is. Many of them have an abuse e-mail address for
this purpose.

Personally, I WOULD NOT answer any of those types of e-mails with ANY
information. It could be your loss if you do.
Old August 17th 04, 12:38 AM
John Ray

renster wrote:

I am, as it happens, an APS member, so I wonder if their membership
database has been hacked. Have any other members of this newsgroup had
the same? I have, of course, forwarded it to the APS for their
information.

Maybe your email address was harvested from stamp related websites and
newsgroups?

It is here in clear form (unless that isn't you and/or old email address
no longer in use):
http://www.geocities.com/uaestamps/associations/

rene

Thanks for the link. It's me (Pacific Islands Study Circle), but the
e-mail address is an old one and not the one to which the phishing
e-mail was sent.

--
John Ray, London UK.
Old August 17th 04, 01:53 AM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

John Ray wrote:

I am, as it happens, an APS member, so I wonder if their membership
database has been hacked. Have any other members of this newsgroup had
the same?

Not I.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
Old August 17th 04, 01:53 AM
Dave Kent

The supposed e-mail from the APS Stamp Store is a fake. Do NOT reply to it
under any circumstances! The APS is aware of it, but there really isn't
anything they can do about it except warn people not to reply to it.
Old August 17th 04, 07:38 AM
DROGER Jean-Paul

Dave Kent a exprimé avec précision :
The supposed e-mail from the APS Stamp Store is a fake. Do NOT reply to it
under any circumstances! The APS is aware of it, but there really isn't
anything they can do about it except warn people not to reply to it.

I have got the same and forwarded it to APS, but to day no answer!
How they ask about 4 number pin code, it is easy to think it's a fake!!

--
Jean-Paul DROGER (enlever "anti." et remplacer "ptt" par "wanadoo" pour
me joindre en perso; remove "anti." and replace "ptt" by "wanadoo" to

Old August 24th 04, 10:13 PM
P T

I received a similar kind of thing today from "eBay."

I went to the purported site, which looked of course like eBay, except
the address was not eBay.

Just to mess with them, I wrote a couple of obscenities in the "name"
and "password" boxes.

:-)

New twist on phishing? note.boy Coins 2 November 12th 04 12:00 AM
Ebay 2nd attempt David Leadbetter General Discussion 5 August 3rd 04 03:03 PM
ICLES 3rd attempt to post F.S. Mike Sr. Coins 0 October 3rd 03 11:25 PM
UPDATE - StarStruck Show in Las Vegas - second post attempt Todd F. Autographs 1 July 13th 03 12:16 AM